Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 42 Old 05-14-2012, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
SaviorMachine

Thank you!

Helping a customer get the RIGHT product for them is what this hobby is all about. I have never had a problem directing customers to other manufactures. People come seeking advice....the best we can do is be honest. Really not hard to do.

I to am curious as to how this placement works out.

Have a great day!
Murrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaviorMachine View Post

Mr Gray, you are one classy guy. I'm really digging that.

Mr Vuong, I'm curious about SB12's performance in a space like yours. Please return with feedback

Murrel J Gray

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 05-14-2012, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 76
I know I just ordered the SVS SB12 but after reading some other threads here, I discover the Emotiva X-Ref 12 that will fit in my cabinet also. It got some decent reviews from Audioholic, Sound and Vision, etc... I am supprise it was not mentioned in my thread??? Is it realy that good per those reviews? Better than the SB12? Thanks.
post #33 of 42 Old 05-15-2012, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 515
The X-Ref 12 is reputed to perform very well and to be particularly good for music. Relative to the SB12-NSD, its three biggest weaknesses appear to be:
- a FR that rolls off sharply below 30Hz, making it less than ideal for systems geared primarily toward HT;
- a FR whose roll-off above 100Hz makes it less than ideal for systems that employ small, satellite-style speakers; and
- a $50 premium over the SB12-NSD (X-Ref 12: $699, shipped; SB12-NSD: $649, shipped).

IMO, the SB12-NSD is, overall, the better sub and the better bargain.

YMMV, of course.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #34 of 42 Old 05-15-2012, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post

I know I just ordered the SVS SB12 but after reading some other threads here, I discover the Emotiva X-Ref 12 that will fit in my cabinet also. It got some decent reviews from Audioholic, Sound and Vision, etc... I am supprise it was not mentioned in my thread??? Is it realy that good per those reviews? Better than the SB12? Thanks.

For HT the SB12 is better. For what you want to do that was the right choice.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #35 of 42 Old 05-15-2012, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Eljay, Jim. Feeling better now.
post #36 of 42 Old 05-21-2012, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrel View Post

SaviorMachine
Helping a customer get the RIGHT product for them is what this hobby is all about. I have never had a problem directing customers to other manufactures. People come seeking advice....the best we can do is be honest. Really not hard to do.
I to am curious as to how this placement works out.
Have a great day!
Murrel

Hi all,
I am happy to report that this little 14 inches cube SB12 has exceeded my expectation of what a small seal sub can do. My room is about 18x23x12 which also open to my kitchen, nook, dining room, stair totaling easily 7000 cubic feet if not more. As you guys know my option is very limited that I only can have one sub (at least for now) and it has to fit in a ~16 cube hole. I was skeptical about spending $650 on a sub weigh only 35Lbs but after reading reviews and asking questions here, it seems it would be my best choice for the location it is going in. Well the SB12 was here last Thursday and I was able to run Audessey calibration over the weekend and play a few clips of Underworld Awakening, Clovefield on it. I can tell y'all that this sub is soooooo much better than the Klipsch SW310 (retail over $1k) it replaced. I am not audiophile or have any thing to measure its FR, but my ear can easily tell it sound deeper and with authority (loud). I had the sub gain dialed in about 6 o'clock, my Denon sets its trim at -4db with LFE set at 120Hz. I was listenning at -15db below reference and this sub pounds and shakes my entire main living room for the very first time (The SW310 did not). It was louder than I can handle after 10mins of the Awakening ending. I had it cranked up to -5db below reference on my receiver for a short period of time just to see how the 12" driver moving air. It was cool and fun to see I put the sub to work and did not hear any distortion. I managed to throw in a few of my favorite songs to see how it performed, and it again shined and put a smile on my face. I do not know exactly how to describe good BASS sound other than it just sounds awesomely deep, loud and clean. Most folks here would suggest having two subs for my room but to me, it is a nice to have rather than a need. I cannot imagine how it sounds like with some of the AVSer' system with 2 or more Submersive, HSU VTF15, RythMik F15HP, or Chase 18.1, etc... I bet it is Audio heaven. I am pretty sure I would be happy with the Rythmik F12 (~$920 shipped) or the Rumba 12($550 + shipping). It would be nice to have these three subs shootout/compared. Thanks all for helping me picking an excellent sub.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #37 of 42 Old 05-21-2012, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
tvuong,

Thanks for the update!

I am glad that it has worked out so well for you. Now spend more time enjoying your system and less time here!

Enjoy
Murrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post

Hi all,
I am happy to report that this little 14 inches cube SB12 has exceeded my expectation of what a small seal sub can do. My room is about 18x23x12 which also open to my kitchen, nook, dining room, stair totaling easily 7000 cubic feet if not more. As you guys know my option is very limited that I only can have one sub (at least for now) and it has to fit in a ~16 cube hole. I was skeptical about spending $650 on a sub weigh only 35Lbs but after reading reviews and asking questions here, it seems it would be my best choice for the location it is going in. Well the SB12 was here last Thursday and I was able to run Audessey calibration over the weekend and play a few clips of Underworld Awakening, Clovefield on it. I can tell y'all that this sub is soooooo much better than the Klipsch SW310 (retail over $1k) it replaced. I am not audiophile or have any thing to measure its FR, but my ear can easily tell it sound deeper and with authority (loud). I had the sub gain dialed in about 6 o'clock, my Denon sets its trim at -4db with LFE set at 120Hz. I was listenning at -15db below reference and this sub pounds and shakes my entire main living room for the very first time (The SW310 did not). It was louder than I can handle after 10mins of the Awakening ending. I had it cranked up to -5db below reference on my receiver for a short period of time just to see how the 12" driver moving air. It was cool and fun to see I put the sub to work and did not hear any distortion. I managed to throw in a few of my favorite songs to see how it performed, and it again shined and put a smile on my face. I do not know exactly how to describe good BASS sound other than it just sounds awesomely deep, loud and clean. Most folks here would suggest having two subs for my room but to me, it is a nice to have rather than a need. I cannot imagine how it sounds like with some of the AVSer' system with 2 or more Submersive, HSU VTF15, RythMik F15HP, or Chase 18.1, etc... I bet it is Audio heaven. I am pretty sure I would be happy with the Rythmik F12 (~$920 shipped) or the Rumba 12($550 + shipping). It would be nice to have these three subs shootout/compared. Thanks all for helping me picking an excellent sub.

Murrel J Gray

post #38 of 42 Old 05-21-2012, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:

I am glad that it has worked out so well for you.

+1

After all the effort you put into finding something I'm glad it worked out the way you had hoped.

Quote:

Now spend more time enjoying your system and less time here!

Words to live by...

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #39 of 42 Old 05-21-2012, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

tvuong,

Thanks for the update!

I am glad that it has worked out so well for you. Now spend more time enjoying your system and less time here!

Enjoy
Murrel

Believe it or not. AVS is addictive and expensive. I am here everyday regardless of buying new toy or not (almost always ends up buying ). I have learnt so much here over the past decade. Thanks.
post #40 of 42 Old 05-21-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:

I do not know exactly how to describe good BASS sound other than it just sounds awesomely deep, loud and clean.

I would say that you do know exactly how to describe it.

Congrats on the new sub!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #41 of 42 Old 05-21-2012, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
"I do not know exactly how to describe good BASS sound other than it just sounds awesomely deep, loud and clean."

There must an echo in here:

Low, Loud, Flat, Clean
post #42 of 42 Old 05-21-2012, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

The X-Ref 12 is reputed to perform very well and to be particularly good for music. Relative to the SB12-NSD, its three biggest weaknesses appear to be:
- a FR that rolls off sharply below 30Hz, making it less than ideal for systems geared primarily toward HT;
- a FR whose roll-off above 100Hz makes it less than ideal for systems that employ small, satellite-style speakers; and
- a $50 premium over the SB12-NSD (X-Ref 12: $699, shipped; SB12-NSD: $649, shipped).

IMO, the SB12-NSD is, overall, the better sub and the better bargain.

YMMV, of course.

I keep reading that around here, I still would like to know how X-Ref 12 compares to the SB12-NSD in sound quality.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page