Lightning fried my trusty old Velodyne...what to replace it with? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 05-10-2012, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought my Velodyne CT100 back in 1999. 10" sub, always worked 100% well and I was super happy with it. Upgrading homes over the years, it is undersized for my home but got the job done. Lightning strikes a couple nights ago, and now it is fried and just making a huming noise (along with the laundry list of other fried items). This was by far the oldest component in my system but I had no reason to upgrade it.

Insurance company wasn't looking to fix it (neither am I), and I'm not sure what they are going to let me buy/give in money, but I am going to say my budget is around $500.

I have a good sized room I'm dealing with - laminate floors, 19' ceiling, 20' long by 22' wide.

It is used for home theater use 95% of the time.

Any suggestions? I'm likely not going to get a chance to listen to a bunch, so I am going off of what people suggest. I'm happy to shop online, and am willing to try something non-mainstream if it is awesome for the price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-10-2012, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Look at Outlaw, especially the EX model. I think they even have some kind of a "secret" sale coming up. Thought I saw a thread about it here...
post #3 of 18 Old 05-10-2012, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrousbird View Post

Insurance company wasn't looking to fix it (neither am I), and I'm not sure what they are going to let me buy/give in money, but I am going to say my budget is around $500.

I have a good sized room I'm dealing with - laminate floors, 19' ceiling, 20' long by 22' wide.

Unfortunately I don't think you'll be able to find any subwoofer for $500 that can do much in a room that large. You'll probably need 3-4 times that in order to get something capable of pressurizing over 8300 cubic feet.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #4 of 18 Old 05-11-2012, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I would look at either a Hsu VTF-2 or a Rythmic FV12. Both are right around your budget and will be a significant step-up from your current sub. JimWilson is correct that you will not properly fill that size room with any of these subs; but if you were happy with the Velodyne, then either one of these will put a smile on your face!
post #5 of 18 Old 05-11-2012, 11:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I'll wager that the driver isn't fried, just the amp. Go to Parts Express and pick up a new subwoofer plate amp for your Velodyne. You'll be back in business almost good as new in no time. My DefTech PF1000 got cooked by a bolt from the blue a few years ago. I had a Technics integrated amp collecting dust. Now it does sub duty and does it well.

HT: Onkyo TX-SR702,Infinity IL60s/IL36c,DefTech PF1500sub,PanasonicPT-AX100,Draper92"screen,SonyBDP-S570,Dish622
Stereo1 Denon PMA-630 amp,TechnicsPL-1300TT,ToshibaSD-4960 uni-player,Infinity Overture 3s
Stereo 2 OnkyoTX-8222 HitachiHT-61S TT,YamahaDV-S586 uni-player,Large Advents (1972)
post #6 of 18 Old 05-12-2012, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam-DiVine View Post

I would look at either a Hsu VTF-2 or a Rythmic FV12. Both are right around your budget and will be a significant step-up from your current sub. JimWilson is correct that you will not properly fill that size room with any of these subs; but if you were happy with the Velodyne, then either one of these will put a smile on your face!

I've read some good reviews about those two subs. One is a downward firing and the other is a forward firing - any reason I should pick one over the other?

I'm also curious as to opinions on the Velodyne EQ-Max 12 and the Sunfire SDS-12, both which are also in my price range.
post #7 of 18 Old 05-12-2012, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm also curious as to opinions on the Velodyne EQ-Max 12 and the Sunfire SDS-12, both which are also in my price range.

From what I've seen the SDS-12 is around $550. The Outlaw LFM-1 EX mentioned previously is significantly better, and if that "secret sale" drops the price to anywhere near $550 I'd say pick that up instead. The difference would be night and day.

If you'd rather not go that route then the Premier Acoustic PA-150 or the Cadence CSX15 Mark II are some other alternatives. Both will provide a lot of output, but won't go quite as deep as the Outlaw will. If you opt to go with the PA-150 use the coupon code of TV15 for a 15% discount. I can get you a coupon code for the Cadence if you want to explore that option. Just send me a PM and I'll tell you how.

post #8 of 18 Old 05-23-2012, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

I finally got the insurance company to get moving on this deal. Seems my policy covers up to replacement cost - it is considered $533 for my sub.

Because my sub was old, I have very little for the depreciated value, so the initial check I get for it is low. This means fixing my sub = throwing money away. I have to turn in a receipt for the sub I buy, and they will cover the difference up to $533...so anything under that is just saving the insurance company money and not me.

Knowing that, I'd like to be at $550 or a little less. Here is the list I've come up with based on the above suggestions and what I can actually get for a price:

- Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus: $549 + ??? for shipping. The EX is too expensive, and I missed the secret sale.

- Rythmic Audio FV12: $550 + ??? shipping. Out of stock right now, unsure of the wait time.

- HSU Research VTF-2 MK4: $550 + $63 shipping. This was on the top of my list but the shipping puts it a bit more expensive than I'd like.

- Sunfire SDS-12: $550 shipped. Priced right where I want it, but don't see a lot of mention about this sub.

- Cadence CSX15 Mark II: $499 shipped. For a 15" sub that's priced below everyone else's 12" makes me wonder why it is less expensive than the competition.

Others that are out:
Premier Acustics PA-150: 15" sub + 250 watts RMS amp seems a bit small. Cheaper by a lot than the rest ($383 shipped) but that's not an advantage for me. Velodyne is out since the line of subs that would match the above are priced higher than I'd like. I want at least a 12" sub, so Definitive Technologies doesn't seem to sell anything I'm looking for.

What else is there that I'm missing? If I'm not missing anything, what from the above list is my best overall choice?
post #9 of 18 Old 05-23-2012, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 93
The Outlaw and HSU subs would easily beat the performance of what you had and if you had to put a little of your money with the insurance money you would be way ahead of the game in both satisfaction and performance.
post #10 of 18 Old 05-23-2012, 08:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech View Post

The Outlaw and HSU subs would easily beat the performance of what you had and if you had to put a little of your money with the insurance money you would be way ahead of the game in both satisfaction and performance.

+1

The Rythmik as well. One of those three would be my choice and would be a nice upgrade over your previous sub.

post #11 of 18 Old 05-23-2012, 12:28 PM

I'd put a vote in for the epik Legend as well, it's 499+ shipping so probably a little over 550 shipped. If price is an issue and the outlaw or hsu is over your budget.
post #12 of 18 Old 05-23-2012, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Epik Legend is now on the list. It has $60 shipping. Rythmik is in the 60's for shipping as well - I e-mailed them asking when they would be back in stock.

Any more opinions? I finally replaced my receiver last night (Harmon Kardon AVR 2650 I scored for a great price), and the lack of a sub is really noticable now.
post #13 of 18 Old 05-24-2012, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

I made my purchase: Rythmik FV12 Ported. They had one left in stock (Matte Black - I wanted black oak but the Matte was okay as well). They stated this sub is going to be redesigned and not available for a long time. For me it was now or never to get it.

I did a LOT more research last night and this morning, and this is why I chose it:
- LMF-1 Plus didn't seem like the best choice among the competition. The EX would have been the winner, but at $650 + shipping, it went beyond what I was willing to spend, as I was am already going over budget with what I got.

- Epik Legend is sealed - I decided for sure I wanted a ported sub

- Sunfire SDS-12 just doesn't seem to get any attention from anyone; there must be a reason for this.

- Cadence CSX15 Mark II - probably a great sub, but I just couldn't get that feeling for why I should but it.

The other sub I was going back and forth on (a VERY VERY close second) was the HSU VTF-2 MK4. Both this and the Rythmik seem to get rave reviews for this price point. My reasoning for choosing the Rythmik over the HSU was probably not even all that justified, but I wanted to make a decision:
- Rythmik has a 300 watt RMS amp vs the HSU 250 watt RMS
- Rythmik was front firing w/ a front port like my previous Velodyne, and I was happy with that
- Direct Servo technology seemed neat/different than what everyone else in this price range is doing
- The Rythmik fans seemed more passoniate about this sub vs. the HSU fans about their sub. I even got a private message regarding getting the Rythmik from someone.

If for some reason that 1 leftover FV12 Ported isn't available, I will be getting the HSU instead. Hell, it would have made my decision 100x easier if there were not any FV12's left. I'm looking forward to getting my new sub!
post #14 of 18 Old 05-24-2012, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Congrats! I hope everything works out for you.

Quote:

They stated this sub is going to be redesigned and not available for a long time. For me it was now or never to get it.

That's very interesting, I wasn't aware they were re-designing the FV12. Seems like every time I go to their website about half the stuff you can buy is listed as 'back ordered'. The FV12, on the other hand, is listed as 'out of stock' instead. If it's replacement is not going to be available for a long time it seems rather foolish to not have sufficient stock of the current model to tide them over. The FV12 is pretty popular - to not have anything to offer in the mean time will probably cost them a lot of customers.

post #15 of 18 Old 05-24-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:

I made my purchase: Rythmik FV12 Ported. They had one left in stock (Matte Black - I wanted black oak but the Matte was okay as well). They stated this sub is going to be redesigned and not available for a long time. For me it was now or never to get it.

Wow, I feel just the opposite. The fact that they are stopping production and redesigning a product would have scared me away not have made me jump to purchase. I want something a company is proud of and willing to stand behind. I understand a company has to put out new product and move forward but I like to be on the front end of that, not the back end. I'm not saying you did anything wrong or will not be happy, in fact I wish you the best of luck, this is just how I feel after reading you post.
post #16 of 18 Old 05-24-2012, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

That's very interesting, I wasn't aware they were re-designing the FV12. Seems like every time I go to their website about half the stuff you can buy is listed as 'back ordered'. The FV12, on the other hand, is listed as 'out of stock' instead. If it's replacement is not going to be available for a long time it seems rather foolish to not have sufficient stock of the current model to tide them over. The FV12 is pretty popular - to not have anything to offer in the mean time will probably cost them a lot of customers.

To quote the exact e-mail:
"We have one FV12 Matte Black in stock. The FV12 will be redesigned, so it's gonna take long time to be in stock again."

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldno711 View Post

Wow, I feel just the opposite. The fact that they are stopping production and redesigning a product would have scared me away not have made me jump to purchase. I want something a company is proud of and willing to stand behind. I understand a company has to put out new product and move forward but I like to be on the front end of that, not the back end. I'm not saying you did anything wrong or will not be happy, in fact I wish you the best of luck, this is just how I feel after reading you post.

If it wasn't for the LARGE amount of support for this sub among people on this and a number of other forums, I would agree with you. But companies have their reasons for doing what they do...whether the reasoning is sound business or not. It could simply be they can no longer build that sub/amp combo at that price point due to supplier costs and have no choice but to do a redesign to be able to have something to market in that range. Or could be a totally different reasoning - my thought is if the consumers love that sub and that is what matters.
post #17 of 18 Old 05-24-2012, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Rythmik has gotten really popular partly because of people like Curtis Chang, Volunteer Moderator of the Ascend Acoustics Forum who picked up on Rythmik several years ago. Now both Ascend Acoustics and Rythmik sell Rythmik subs.

IMHO, Rythmik has as much business as it can handle.

Why, even the mighty SVS has its premium sealed model in limbo. SB-13 Plus > SB-13 Ultra. Wood veneers on all sides. Some price increase is expected.

Rythmik doesn't have to worry. High performance backed by excellent word of mouth...
post #18 of 18 Old 05-24-2012, 06:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Still strange that they are redesigning the FV12. It's been out, what, about a year or so? And it's extremely popular. Maybe there are supply issues with some of the components.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page