New sub for home gym (<$250) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 05-11-2012, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
shermanatorx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
*This sub is going to be paired with two Polk RTi4's. Both the speakers and sub will be powered by a Harman Kardon 3490.

Hey guys,

I'm looking for an inexpensive sub to replace my current Sony one (SA-W2500). Since this sub will be used in my home gym, music will be the only thing it is used for.

I've heard good things about the BIC F-12 and Polk PSW505. Would these be good for music? Any other suggestions?

Types of music I listen to:

Rock
Rap
Hip Hop
Dubstep

Thanks guys/gals,

Connor
shermanatorx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 05-11-2012, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eljaycanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 5,558
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 588
Energy S10.3
eljaycanuck is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 05-12-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JimWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere in New Joisey
Posts: 4,799
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanatorx View Post

Since this sub will be used in my home gym, music will be the only thing it is used for.

Rap
Hip Hop
Dubstep

I thought you said the sub was going to be used for music? I don't see any listed.

OK, seriously... the PSW505 is probably not your best option for music. HT perhaps, but not music. The F12 would more then likely be the better of the two. How big is your gym?

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
JimWilson is online now  
post #4 of 11 Old 05-12-2012, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
shermanatorx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

I thought you said the sub was going to be used for music? I don't see any listed.

OK, seriously... the PSW505 is probably not your best option for music. HT perhaps, but not music. The F12 would more then likely be the better of the two. How big is your gym?

I knew that would be brought up. I'm young, so I have an excuse. Like it or not, those music genres pump me and my young clientele up the most.

The gym is sectioned off in the basement which is ~2100sqft, all open. The actual gym floor is ~900sqft. Due to the openness, i'm thinking I need a big sub, which is why I am leaning towards the F-12. I just want to make sure it can keep up with my music.
shermanatorx is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 05-12-2012, 03:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,761
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 781
The S10.3 is not a slouch in SPL output for a 10". But I would probably agree that a 12" would be better if you want to really feel the bass in your size room.

Some people have found the Premier Acoustics PA-120 to be a little better SQ than the F12. Here is the owners thread for it. Acoustic Sound Design will let you make them an offer since they also run an ebay store.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
cel4145 is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 05-12-2012, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kesando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Queens, New York
Posts: 1,554
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Considering that the room will not be used for critical music listening, I would just with the sub that has the most SPL. Any of the subs listed will sound decent with music and extend down to around 30hz, enough for most Hip-hop and dance music.
kesando is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 05-12-2012, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eljaycanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 5,558
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 588
Quote:


The gym is sectioned off in the basement which is ~2100sqft, all open. The actual gym floor is ~900sqft. Due to the openness, i'm thinking I need a big sub, which is why I am leaning towards the F-12. I just want to make sure it can keep up with my music.

You have a good-sized space and you want solid performance for music. While my subs are primarily for HT use, my space (~3,375 cu.ft.) is divided between the HT area and my gym area, and I enjoy good-sounding music (CDs or concert vids, mostly hard-rock) while working out.

I don't mean this to sound flippant, but if you can at all manage to increase your budget, consider something like the Emotiva X-Ref 10 @ $499, shipped. You'll get good output and solid performance from a well-made sub by a reputable company.

Just my 2¢...
eljaycanuck is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 05-12-2012, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
shermanatorx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

You have a good-sized space and you want solid performance for music. While my subs are primarily for HT use, my space (~3,375 cu.ft.) is divided between the HT area and my gym area, and I enjoy good-sounding music (CDs or concert vids, mostly hard-rock) while working out.

I don't mean this to sound flippant, but if you can at all manage to increase your budget, consider something like the Emotiva X-Ref 10 @ $499, shipped. You'll get good output and solid performance from a well-made sub by a reputable company.

Just my 2¢...

I can't justify spending that much on a sub for the home gym only.
shermanatorx is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 05-12-2012, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eljaycanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 5,558
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 588
eljaycanuck is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 05-12-2012, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
shermanatorx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I appreciate it none the less.

Well, it seems like there in no definitive winner at this point. I am leaning towards the F-12 however. It seems like it can perform well in an open environment, tends to get decent ratings, can be had for $192 on Amazon and isn't horrible to look at.

That warranty is enticing as well.
shermanatorx is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 05-12-2012, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eljaycanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 5,558
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanatorx View Post

I am leaning towards the F-12 however. It seems like it can perform well in an open environment, tends to get decent ratings, can be had for $192 on Amazon and isn't horrible to look at.

That warranty is enticing as well.

What's not to like! If you do end up buying it - or something else - please to report back with your impressions of your new sub!
eljaycanuck is offline  
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off