Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 36 Old 05-14-2012, 09:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post

I bought a Revel B15a (MSRP $3K). While it is a good sub, for the price I paid for it, I could have bought any other ID sub in that price range that would leave it in the dust.

Revel didn't make $3K off the sub. What if the B15a cost the consumer $1,500? you know how well they are built and how well they perform, so how would they compare then? that's most likely what Revel makes off the sub. Maybe they could sell them directly for $1,500, loose major market exposure and sales volume that having an enormous dealer network brings, and promptly go out of business (potentially). how does that business model work out for ya, which would you do if you were Revel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 05-14-2012, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
It's a shame they don't have any mainstream reviews of these subwoofers, but I guess that's because they don't pay for advertising in magazines. I just did a quick Google search of the av123 scammer. Did that guy go to jail?
post #33 of 36 Old 05-15-2012, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 185
^ Yes, but he can safely re regarded as an outlier in the industry.

Regarding ID SUB companies, I would say:

1. As already alluded, it's no coincidence that the prices are all-but fixed (in a GOOD way, lol).

Sure, maybe a $100 off here or there, or an intro price on a new model for a month to drum up first-timers and get the product out there, but, by and large, the cost is the cost, and that's usually a good indication that you have a product that is being executed on some pretty competitive/tight margins.

2. Amps. For a good while anyway, they seemed to be the weak link in the chain with more than one ID manu. Now, it seems I hear less and less about failures so perhaps this area has been cleaned up a bit. I'm sure there's some here who could speak from a much more informed stance than I on the issue, though.

Still, a good number of outfits will build you a passive model and let you choose your own amplifier...potentially offering up even more value. I chose this route and saved myself nearly $1400 at the time while just giving up 3-5dbs of output I really didn't "need". I can always of course upgrade the amp.

3. Cabinetry/aesthetics. All in the eye of the beholder, but by and large I've yet to see one ID that consistently outpaces the better retail vendors, cab for cab.

And that's not to say some ID's don't have the ability to crank out decent cabs, it's just to say that even some of the better ones seem to be more vulnerable to a hiccup here and there.

Hard to say empirically I suppose, just more of an "educated guess" and experience on my part.

In the end I don't know that I'd say, overall, that they're over-hyped at all. There's so much out there to choose from- at nearly every price point- that you're almost certainly guaranteed to save hundreds or thousands going the ID route.

And in the current economic state of affairs for most in this country, I think pocketing that kind of cash could never be over-hyped.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #34 of 36 Old 05-15-2012, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewayz View Post

Revel didn't make $3K off the sub. What if the B15a cost the consumer $1,500? you know how well they are built and how well they perform, so how would they compare then? that's most likely what Revel makes off the sub. Maybe they could sell them directly for $1,500, loose major market exposure and sales volume that having an enormous dealer network brings, and promptly go out of business (potentially). how does that business model work out for ya, which would you do if you were Revel?

I have no idea what you are trying to say here. I was not trying to imply Revel was ripping me off or anything negative about Revel as a company or their pricing model or practices. I was merely saying for the price I paid, there are much better ID subs out there. If I had known then what I know now, I would never have bought the Revel sub. This has nothing to do with them as a company, but everything to do with the fact that there are better options for far less.

The only entity I blame is AVS for showing me the light. Had I not come across this site I would have been perfectly happy with my Revel sub. Now that I know what a monster sub is capable of there's no way I can be happy with just the Revel again.

Darn you AVS! You've made me spend $$$$$ on just my sub system alone.
post #35 of 36 Old 05-15-2012, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewayz View Post

Theres ID subs that are just as well made and perform on par or beyond that is in the $1,000-2,000 price range.

They could sell for around $1,500-2,000k if they did factory direct. That would cut out the middle man mark ups you have to pay when you walk into a store to purchase it. They have sales people to pay, utilities ect... So they need to make and extra profit from you.

B&M stores especially high end stores are dying off. I also wouldn't say that they would lose major market exposure by going factory direct. Theres only 2 Revel dealers in all of Ohio. Thats not really major market exposure.
post #36 of 36 Old 05-15-2012, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked: 555
I don't think they are over hyped, IMO, they are clearly better, but that does not mean that there are not any top notch subs from other manufactures. It is possible that that the ID subs distract attention away from larger manufactured subs, but there are still so many good subs out there and there is just not enough "user" feedback to really get any decent feedback to hype up a commercial sub, but really around here, I don't think to many stones are left unturned.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page