Lava LSP12 "issue" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-14-2012, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I've had an LSP12 for a while now. While it seems fine for movies, I just can't seem to get it probably setup for music. It seems like for every song I play, I have to adjust the crossover and/or volume, otherwise it's just extremely boomy with no tight punch, no matter the genre.

My setup is like this...

Computer > USB DAC > 2 RCA Y's

One set of RCA cables goes to my Emotiva Airmotiv4's, the other set goes to the LSP12.

The Airmotiv4's drop off around 52-54hz and if I set my sub's crossover around there, any bass that comes out it pretty deep and boomy, but hardly existent because music doesn't generally go that low. To counter this, I keep my crossover set at around 100hz, but even then it can be very boomy with something other than rock, no matter what the volume is at.

I'm kind of lost at what I should do. Is my sub defective? I purchased it because I heard it was a very musical, tight, and punchy sub. It seems to be the opposite for me.

Any help/advice is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-15-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 318
It's not possible to say with any certainty whether your sub is actually malfunctioning, but as a general statement the LSP12 is not considered a musical unit. In essence what that means is you may not have a "bad" sub, just one that isn't suited for your intended purpose. The airmotiv's strike me as being designed for detail and accuracy, which is probably not a good match for the Lava sub. The contrast between the two design ideals is more then likely going to make that difference even more pronounced.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #3 of 10 Old 05-15-2012, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 472
How big a room are you using it in? Here's why I ask (and please excuse the long-winded anecdote ):

My previous sub - an SVS PB12-NSD - was a wonderful sub for movies, but I found it to be a bit lacking for music. Part of the reason, I believe, had to do with my HT/music set-up being in a ~3,375 cu.ft. basement room.

While the sub wouldn't get boomy (although it was a touch on the "flabby" side), like you, I found that I would have to boost the bass for music, and drop it back down for movies.

My upgrade to dual ChaseHT SS-18.1s just over a year ago - primarily to get a bit more output for HT - resolved the music issue. My subs are integrated into my system, everything is calibrated, I run the subs ~3-4dB "hot" for movies...and I never have to adjust the level for music. They're always good.

(Actually, that's not entirely true: On really bass-heavy music, I may have to dial the level down a dB or two. Otherwise, I never change it.)

Perhaps, in your case, a second Lava sub might give you that extra grunt that a single sub isn't delivering? Perhaps moving to a larger / more-powerful / sealed sub is a possibility?
post #4 of 10 Old 05-15-2012, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Try a different location for the sub.

post #5 of 10 Old 05-15-2012, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I would try different placement and experiment with port plugs. I do agree that the Lava is not ideal for music.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-15-2012, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

It's not possible to say with any certainty whether your sub is actually malfunctioning, but as a general statement the LSP12 is not considered a musical unit. In essence what that means is you may not have a "bad" sub, just one that isn't suited for your intended purpose. The airmotiv's strike me as being designed for detail and accuracy, which is probably not a good match for the Lava sub. The contrast between the two design ideals is more then likely going to make that difference even more pronounced.

Hmm, that might be my problem - the LSP12 being a bad match for my Airmotiv4's. I do love my Airmotiv's for how clear and detailed they are, just like you said. I'll probably do some shopping around to look at my different options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

How big a room are you using it in? Here's why I ask (and please excuse the long-winded anecdote ):

My previous sub - an SVS PB12-NSD - was a wonderful sub for movies, but I found it to be a bit lacking for music. Part of the reason, I believe, had to do with my HT/music set-up being in a ~3,375 cu.ft. basement room.

While the sub wouldn't get boomy (although it was a touch on the "flabby" side), like you, I found that I would have to boost the bass for music, and drop it back down for movies.

My upgrade to dual ChaseHT SS-18.1s just over a year ago - primarily to get a bit more output for HT - resolved the music issue. My subs are integrated into my system, everything is calibrated, I run the subs ~3-4dB "hot" for movies...and I never have to adjust the level for music. They're always good.

(Actually, that's not entirely true: On really bass-heavy music, I may have to dial the level down a dB or two. Otherwise, I never change it.)

Perhaps, in your case, a second Lava sub might give you that extra grunt that a single sub isn't delivering? Perhaps moving to a larger / more-powerful / sealed sub is a possibility?

The LSP12 is in a 10'x13' bedroom, placed at my feet underneath my computer desk. I'll try hooking it up in my living room (14'x19' with a 20' vaulted ceiling) to see if it sounds any different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by its phillip View Post

There's really only a few places that I could put it. If I walk around the bedroom while the LSP12 is playing something, I don't notice any area of the room where the sub sounds better. If I go by the bedroom door, it gets even "boomier."

I appreciate the responses so far. I'll play around with a few more things. If I can't get something to work, I'll probably go for a different sub and throw my LSP12 on Craigslist.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-15-2012, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalKenny View Post

The LSP12 is in a 10'x13' bedroom, placed at my feet underneath my computer desk. I'll try hooking it up in my living room (14'x19' with a 20' vaulted ceiling) to see if it sounds any different.

Well, so much for my story!

Perhaps placement is, as has been pointed pointed out, the real culprit. In a 10' x 13' bedroom, any decent sub i) should not be boomy and ii) should be able to provide a decent amount of output.

Alternatively, something like the SVS SB12-NSD / Epik Legend / SimplySoundAudio Rumba 12 / Emotiva X-Ref 10 may be an option.

Let us know how things work out.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-15-2012, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by its phillip View Post

Or, a new sub.

I had a Lava, and replaced it becuase it just didnt do well with music at all. It was sloppy and "slow".
post #9 of 10 Old 05-15-2012, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeelarr View Post

Or, a new sub.

I had a Lava, and replaced it becuase it just didnt do well with music at all. It was sloppy and "slow".

That's exactly how I feel about mine.

So I've moved it around the room a bit, still hasn't solved anything. I think it's time for a new sub.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-16-2012, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Oddly enough, I find the LSP12 does well with music considering the price though it's fequency response is a bit peaky. Perhaps the subs natural response is somehow interacting with your smaller room. BTW. I setup a dual Lava setup for my brothers open floor plan with near field placement to each seating position.

That said you could do a bit better with any of the other subs mentioned.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page