Choice between HSU-VTF15H or SVS pb12-NSD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 Old 05-15-2012, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
trippinonprozac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

First of all some background -

I live in Australia so our choice on subwoofers is somewhat limited as 1 - we cant ship all models to Aus and 2 - Mark ups here are absurd when compared to US pricing.

The 2 models I have come down to choose between are the HSU sub and the SVS model. The SVS is available in Australia at $1050 AUD delivered and the HSU I can get here delivered to my door from the US for $1350 AUD.

My room size is 4m wide, 3.5m deep with a centred wall that will have a tv wall mounted to it. Its not a very large room but I want great impact with my movies and something that will be equally good for music. Essentially I dont want to have to stress the sub to get to impact I am after in that room size.

What do you guys think? I am happy to pay the extra for the HSU if its worth the money.
trippinonprozac is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 42 Old 05-15-2012, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kini62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 2,968
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 336
That's cheaper or about the same price I have to pay to get them to Hawaii

Of those 2 the HSU will have quite a bit more output. By the biggest you can since there is no second chance when paying that much shipping.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
Kini62 is online now  
post #3 of 42 Old 05-15-2012, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
trippinonprozac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I figured the HSU may be a better option but I was hoping for someone who had auditioned both to chime in. I unfortunately cant listen to either locally as no one carries them.

I dont mind paying the extra few hundred if the HSU is worth the amount.

I do agree with your theory on getting the bigger now though as I dont want to work backwards ;-)
trippinonprozac is offline  
post #4 of 42 Old 05-15-2012, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
trippinonprozac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here is a sketch up of the room. Sub location would most probably be on the left hand side facing inward or at the rear of the room on the left facing inward.

trippinonprozac is offline  
post #5 of 42 Old 05-15-2012, 10:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
datranz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: fontana, california
Posts: 989
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Get the hsu. A year from now you will wish you got the subm. 2 year later you wish you got dual lms. And so on.
datranz is online now  
post #6 of 42 Old 05-16-2012, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
eljaycanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 5,266
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 504
The PB12-NSD is a great sub and should perform very well in a 150 sq.ft. room. However, if you want to be sure that you only do it once and do it right, get the VTF-15H.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
eljaycanuck is offline  
post #7 of 42 Old 05-16-2012, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
kesando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Queens, New York
Posts: 1,552
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

The PB12-NSD is a great sub and should perform very well in a 150 sq.ft. room. However, if you want to be sure that you only do it once and do it right, get the VTF-15H.

+1. Might as well go as big as u can afford
kesando is offline  
post #8 of 42 Old 05-16-2012, 05:22 AM
Advanced Member
 
jchong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 860
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Another vote for the Hsu.
jchong is offline  
post #9 of 42 Old 05-16-2012, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
flickhtguru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lebanon, PA
Posts: 2,458
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Hsu gets my vote.

Shawn
flickhtguru is offline  
post #10 of 42 Old 05-16-2012, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
brian6751's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 3,344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 109
I know your asking about these two subs but if I'm calculating correctly, your room is under 2000 cubic feet. Personally I would look at sealed subs. Maybe two sb12-nsd's or one uls-15? Are these options for you?

What you guys think?

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
brian6751 is online now  
post #11 of 42 Old 05-16-2012, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
flickhtguru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lebanon, PA
Posts: 2,458
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 105
^^^The SB12 NSD won't dig as deep for movies. The ULS 15 would but is a bit pricey at $1,100 + S&H. But yes one ULS 15 for his space would be fine duals even better but for the price the VTF15H is hard to beat.

Shawn
flickhtguru is offline  
post #12 of 42 Old 05-16-2012, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
brian6751's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 3,344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

^^^The SB12 NSD won't dig as deep for movies. The ULS 15 would but is a bit pricey at $1,100 + S&H. But yes one ULS 15 for his space would be fine duals even better but for the price the VTF15H is hard to beat.

I'm thinking he would have some big room gain that would give the sealed subs big output really down low. Lower than the 15h can go. I think two sb12's would be impressive in that space.

Honestly though. I would just talk to the guys at Hsu and svs. They won't steer you wrong.

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
brian6751 is online now  
post #13 of 42 Old 05-16-2012, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
warpdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,097
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I think you would be absolutely fine with the PB12. The main advantage of the VTF is tremendous output for a large room and for a 2000sq ft room, it's a bit overkill.

An SB12 would actually be adequate but the PB12 would give the extension and output needed for movies.

If you have a local distributor in Aus for SVS, it might be easier getting replacement parts or service if you need it.

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
warpdrive is offline  
post #14 of 42 Old 05-16-2012, 11:00 AM
Member
 
oldno711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive View Post

I think you would be absolutely fine with the PB12. The main advantage of the VTF is tremendous output for a large room and for a 2000sq ft room, it's a bit overkill.

An SB12 would actually be adequate

Getting a bass/subwoofer fan to choose adequate over overkill? Good luck.
oldno711 is offline  
post #15 of 42 Old 05-16-2012, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
shadyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,619
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 516
The advantage of getting a sub with lots of headroom is, since you will rarely stress it, it will last longer. Overkill has the additional advantage of better reliability and longer operational life.
shadyJ is online now  
post #16 of 42 Old 05-16-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
warpdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,097
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

The advantage of getting a sub with lots of headroom is, since you will rarely stress it, it will last longer. Overkill has the additional advantage of better reliability and longer operational life.

I don't think either sub will be overly stressed. The Hsu will have a bit more output to be sure, but my point is that either should satisfy a basshead in real world use. I know either sub is designed with good limiters in place so there is little chance in damaging themselves in case you do push it..

For the OP in AUS, ease of warranty service is always a factor that shouldn't be taken lightly, and having a local distributor is a good thing. I'd say the Hsu is definitely worth paying more, just not sure that the $300 extra cost is justified for his situation

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
warpdrive is offline  
post #17 of 42 Old 05-16-2012, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
trippinonprozac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive View Post

I don't think either sub will be overly stressed. The Hsu will have a bit more output to be sure, but my point is that either should satisfy a basshead in real world use. I know either sub is designed with good limiters in place so there is little chance in damaging themselves in case you do push it..

For the OP in AUS, ease of warranty service is always a factor that shouldn't be taken lightly, and having a local distributor is a good thing. I'd say the Hsu is definitely worth paying more, just not sure that the $300 extra cost is justified for his situation

The local warranty scenario is a very good point! I just feel that I am essentially getting ripped off with the local SVS as the mark up is ridiculous over here! over $1000 for the PB12-NSD is pretty much what you guys pay for the PLUS.

I am just looking at it on a value for money basis as much as anything. HSU Do warrant their products overseas but if I had an issue I think I would be fixing it myself as shipping the sub back would be ludicrous.
trippinonprozac is offline  
post #18 of 42 Old 05-16-2012, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
shadyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,619
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippinonprozac View Post

The local warranty scenario is a very good point! I just feel that I am essentially getting ripped off with the local SVS as the mark up is ridiculous over here! over $1000 for the PB12-NSD is pretty much what you guys pay for the PLUS.

I am just looking at it on a value for money basis as much as anything. HSU Do warrant their products overseas but if I had an issue I think I would be fixing it myself as shipping the sub back would be ludicrous.

You would certainly only be sending back the affected part of the sub, either the amp or driver, but shipping would still be painful.
shadyJ is online now  
post #19 of 42 Old 05-16-2012, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
warpdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,097
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippinonprozac View Post

The local warranty scenario is a very good point! I just feel that I am essentially getting ripped off with the local SVS as the mark up is ridiculous over here! over $1000 for the PB12-NSD is pretty much what you guys pay for the PLUS.

I am just looking at it on a value for money basis as much as anything. HSU Do warrant their products overseas but if I had an issue I think I would be fixing it myself as shipping the sub back would be ludicrous.

Being in AUS, you'll always have to pay a premium. Either you pay a markup+smaller shipping fee, or you pay the Hsu's shipping company a huge shipping fee.

I don't know how your distributor works, but in Canada, they are great. I noticed a small issue with my SVS amp and Ed from SVS said I could exchange it for the newer version if I wasn't happy. I didn't pay a cent for the replacement. If I had to send it back to the US, I may have been out of commission for a long time.

Hsu has great customer service, but they are a continent and ocean away. I've learned the hard way that it's always a gamble to import things large and expensive.

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
warpdrive is offline  
post #20 of 42 Old 05-16-2012, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
trippinonprozac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I guess these are the options I have to weigh up!

What is the reliability like on the HSU woofers? Many people have issues with them?
trippinonprozac is offline  
post #21 of 42 Old 05-16-2012, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
oztech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 7,660
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippinonprozac View Post

I guess these are the options I have to weigh up!

What is the reliability like on the HSU woofers? Many people have issues with them?

Can you provide links because on these forums other than an occasional blim I have not read about one unless your talking a 20 year old sub with bad caps which they are all prone to after about the 10 year mark.
oztech is online now  
post #22 of 42 Old 05-16-2012, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pokekevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 5,065
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 101


Pretty darn impressed with the SVS

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
pokekevin is offline  
post #23 of 42 Old 05-16-2012, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
warpdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,097
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippinonprozac View Post

I guess these are the options I have to weigh up!

What is the reliability like on the HSU woofers? Many people have issues with them?

Hsus and SVS are considered reliable brands and in general, their failure rates are very low.

The things that is most likely going to fail is the electronics/amp. Amps do die from time to time from any maker. I believe Hsu will cover you for 2 years and SVS has 5 year warranty (check with your local distributor to be sure).

Drivers sometimes develop defects over time, but in general it's pretty rare to replace a driver.

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
warpdrive is offline  
post #24 of 42 Old 05-16-2012, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
trippinonprozac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech View Post

Can you provide links because on these forums other than an occasional blim I have not read about one unless your talking a 20 year old sub with bad caps which they are all prone to after about the 10 year mark.

That was a question, not a statement. I was asking if many people had issues with them.
trippinonprozac is offline  
post #25 of 42 Old 05-16-2012, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
trippinonprozac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post



Pretty darn impressed with the SVS

Yeah the SVS definitely can play low! I noticed that the HSU can play lower and with a higher SPL at the given frequencies though.
trippinonprozac is offline  
post #26 of 42 Old 05-17-2012, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
warpdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,097
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippinonprozac View Post

Yeah the SVS definitely can play low! I noticed that the HSU can play lower and with a higher SPL at the given frequencies though.

The Audioholics numbers shows that Hsu starts to drop off below 30Hz (it was tested with both ports open). It is 113 dB at 30Hz but it drops down to 103 at 20Hz. The SVS is 105@30Hz and only drops 2dB to 103@20Hz, so the SVS is actually tuned for deeper bass in default configuration. Also, SVS was very careful to make sure the sub is very clean, the distortion numbers are very low, almost never more than 10%. I think this was a design choice to make sure the sub never gets into trouble

Of course, we don't have the numbers for Hsu's other tuned modes, Yes, it has noticeably higher output overall to be sure, but I wouldn't make the conclusion that Hsu plays any lower based on the available numbers. We'll probably never get those numbers as it won't be retested by Audioholics after all the arguing between the two parties.

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
warpdrive is offline  
post #27 of 42 Old 05-17-2012, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
oztech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 7,660
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive View Post

The Audioholics numbers shows that Hsu starts to drop off below 30Hz (it was tested with both ports open). It is 113 dB at 30Hz but it drops down to 103 at 20Hz. The SVS is 105@30Hz and only drops 2dB to 103@20Hz, so the SVS is actually tuned for deeper bass in default configuration. Also, SVS was very careful to make sure the sub is very clean, the distortion numbers are very low, almost never more than 10%. I think this was a design choice to make sure the sub never gets into trouble

Of course, we don't have the numbers for Hsu's other tuned modes, Yes, it has noticeably higher output overall to be sure, but I wouldn't make the conclusion that Hsu plays any lower based on the available numbers. We'll probably never get those numbers as it won't be retested by Audioholics after all the arguing between the two parties.

Most of us that own the VTF 15H can tell you that with one port open on EQ1 and a Q=.7 it will dig deeper with pretty good authority.
The test that was run on the sub was incomplete since it has several modes of operation it should have been tested as such.
oztech is online now  
post #28 of 42 Old 05-17-2012, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sputter1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive View Post

The Audioholics numbers shows that Hsu starts to drop off below 30Hz (it was tested with both ports open). It is 113 dB at 30Hz but it drops down to 103 at 20Hz. The SVS is 105@30Hz and only drops 2dB to 103@20Hz, so the SVS is actually tuned for deeper bass in default configuration. Also, SVS was very careful to make sure the sub is very clean, the distortion numbers are very low, almost never more than 10%. I think this was a design choice to make sure the sub never gets into trouble

Of course, we don't have the numbers for Hsu's other tuned modes, Yes, it has noticeably higher output overall to be sure, but I wouldn't make the conclusion that Hsu plays any lower based on the available numbers. We'll probably never get those numbers as it won't be retested by Audioholics after all the arguing between the two parties.

The original numbers were off a bit and AH adjusted them to..

105.1 20hz
107.8 25hz
111.6 31.5hz
113.4 40hz
113.5 50hz
113.7 63hz

I believe those are up to date.
sputter1 is offline  
post #29 of 42 Old 05-17-2012, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
warpdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,097
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech View Post

Most of us that own the VTF 15H can tell you that with one port open on EQ1 and a Q=.7 it will dig deeper with pretty good authority.
The test that was run on the sub was incomplete since it has several modes of operation it should have been tested as such.

yeah it is too bad they didn't test the other modes. I would have liked to see at least one other mode tested

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
warpdrive is offline  
post #30 of 42 Old 05-17-2012, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
warpdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,097
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputter1 View Post

The original numbers were off a bit and AH adjusted them to..

105.1 20hz
107.8 25hz
111.6 31.5hz
113.4 40hz
113.5 50hz
113.7 63hz

I believe those are up to date.

cool, those are a lot better. so the drop under 30Hz is more like 6 dB. I would definite prefer to run it with one port open to get flatter extension if it was me.

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
warpdrive is offline  
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off