Canadians: The importing a sub into Canada thread. - Page 2 - AVS Forum
1  2
Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers > Canadians: The importing a sub into Canada thread.
Vincehoffman's Avatar Vincehoffman 07:54 PM 05-21-2012
My first pair of Seaton Submersive HPs came courtesy of Fedex Freight. As we have a loading dock at my business, that saved a few bucks. The freight bill was just under $300 USD at a par CDN dollar. My 3rd SubM HP was purchased as part of a Southern Ontario Seaton power-buy I organized. We made use of a friend's international trucking firm and participants paid a paltry $50 each sub for shipping to Burlington ON and brokerage! My 4th (and final!) SubM HP just shipped and the Fedex Freight bill is to be $178, again to my shop's loading dock in Dundas (Hamilton) ON.

brendelac's Avatar brendelac 08:05 PM 05-21-2012
^ only 4?
lovinthehd's Avatar lovinthehd 08:09 PM 05-21-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

I don't understand why you have to pay taxes. I mean most online purchases are tax free if not in your state and allot of stuff is free shipping. I don't understand why it would be any different out of the country, especially Cananda.

I had to pay taxes on a pool cleaner last summer I ordered online, I think the first time ever. Figures, it was the one I needed and the thing just so happen to be built and sold in Joisy

Because you have to cross the border. Customs protects borders not only for security, but their actual real original purpose, to collect duties/taxes. Western world has done away with much of the actual duties but Canada has a GST due on importation (generally, not sure about personal importations having some sort of exemption or not) plus the formalities themselves remain (I'm a US Customs broker). Amazon soon starts to collect the required sales tax for many states (including mine), which no one wanted to actually enforce until recently.
Billy p's Avatar Billy p 08:44 PM 05-21-2012
Great thread....Funkywaves built AE av12x, amp(bash 500s), materials which included a baltic birch enclosure finished with real walnut wood venner and ED eq2 to my door...all for <$1100.00 cdn...

Fantasic deal in my opinion.....

Buy Canadian....eh!
Mark Seaton's Avatar Mark Seaton 09:46 PM 05-21-2012
Good thread idea warpdrive,

As a shipper I can tell you that the shipping companies are good at making things clear as mud to us. Answers change when you ask different sources, and those policies vary country to country. By far the most frustrating can be when customers see charges that we never see when obtaining quotes.

One interesting detail is that "ground" or "standard" shipping is often handled differently from those considered "express" or "expedited" services. Anything which travels by air tends to qualify as express. For FedEx that would include both "International Economy" (for small packages) and "International Economy Freight" (for palletized shipments). The transport charges are typically higher, but the additional fees can in fact make the delivered costs much closer if not flip them. For Canadian customers, also keep in mind that on FedEx's International Economy Freight FedEx will add both a higher fuel surcharge and ~$110 residential delivery charge. If you can either ship to a business with a dock or opt to pick up your shipment from the local freight terminal you can save $100-150. Each person can decide if that savings is worth the added effort and time to transport large, heavy speakers.

US made speakers and subwoofers (per NAFTA's definitions) will avoid duties, but not taxes. Unfortunately the "best" shipper to use is not always the same for every case, so don't automatically dismiss an option from a single bad report, especially in a very different location or type of service or product.
lovinthehd's Avatar lovinthehd 09:50 AM 05-22-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post

Good thread idea warpdrive,

As a shipper I can tell you that the shipping companies are good at making things clear as mud to us. Answers change when you ask different sources, and those policies vary country to country. By far the most frustrating can be when customers see charges that we never see when obtaining quotes.

One interesting detail is that "ground" or "standard" shipping is often handled differently from those considered "express" or "expedited" services. Anything which travels by air tends to qualify as express. For FedEx that would include both "International Economy" (for small packages) and "International Economy Freight" (for palletized shipments). The transport charges are typically higher, but the additional fees can in fact make the delivered costs much closer if not flip them. For Canadian customers, also keep in mind that on FedEx's International Economy Freight FedEx will add both a higher fuel surcharge and ~$110 residential delivery charge. If you can either ship to a business with a dock or opt to pick up your shipment from the local freight terminal you can save $100-150. Each person can decide if that savings is worth the added effort and time to transport large, heavy speakers.

US made speakers and subwoofers (per NAFTA's definitions) will avoid duties, but not taxes. Unfortunately the "best" shipper to use is not always the same for every case, so don't automatically dismiss an option from a single bad report, especially in a very different location or type of service or product.

Partially that confusion and difference in handling is from how Fedex purchased companies to enable them to provide such services. Fedex ground is a fairly new addition to their group and is not from their traditional core of express/expedited small package services. They also have various automation systems from those various acquisitions that don't tie up together all that well from what a former colleague who had worked there told me. Getting written quotes can help you enforce charges as initially promised. Laundry listing of charges is not uncommon in the freight world either, but being specific as to where services begin or end (customs included? to local terminal or delivered to residential door? etc) help as well as the general class of service requested. (I'm in the biz but not Fedex)
1  2

Up
Mobile  Desktop