Dual subs: SVS PC12-Plus v. Epik Empire - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2012, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
joealtus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 489
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone have opinions on these setups, dual SVS PC12-Plus cylinders versus dual Epik Empire sealed?

This would be for a somewhat large open greatroom.

I would think the dual SVS would outperform the dual Epik, but the Epiks spec out well, are well reviewed, and would be much cheaper.

Thanks for any thoughts.
joealtus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-17-2012, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pokekevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 5,071
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Never heard either but the specs on the Epik Empire (15 drivers) would give you much better output than than a 12. At the same time the 12s would be easier to put in place since their cyclinders...

How big was the room again?

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
pokekevin is offline  
Old 05-17-2012, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
shadyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,163
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 634
The SVS will have more deep bass output while the Empires will have more upper bass output. One think you might consider is buying one of each and using the Empire as a mid-bass module by giving it a high pass filter set at 50 hz or so, and set the low pass filter on the PC12 at the same point. That system may be capable of more overall output since the amplifier bandwidth on each is dedicated to a certain part of the bass spectrum.
shadyJ is offline  
Old 05-17-2012, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
trolly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: E. TN
Posts: 667
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have a pair of Empires downstairs in a 6000cu ft basement eq'd with the 8033 and they sound good (almost all use is home theater). Upstairs I have a PB12-Plus in a 3800cu ft great room in 20hz mode that is really potent. I would go for a pair of the PC12-Pluses because of the performance flexibility (you can run ported or sealed), component quality, warranty and service that SVS offers.
trolly is offline  
Old 05-17-2012, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
joealtus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 489
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Never heard either but the specs on the Epik Empire (15 drivers) would give you much better output than than a 12. At the same time the 12s would be easier to put in place since their cyclinders...

How big was the room again?

Room is 26x22x11.

While the Epiks are 15" drivers, they are sealed and have a less powerful amplifier than the SVS, which are 12", but ported. That's my dilemma.
joealtus is offline  
Old 05-17-2012, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
joealtus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 489
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by trolly View Post

I have a pair of Empires downstairs in a 6000cu ft basement eq'd with the 8033 and they sound good (almost all use is home theater). Upstairs I have a PB12-Plus in a 3800cu ft great room in 20hz mode that is really potent. I would go for a pair of the PC12-Pluses because of the performance flexibility (you can run ported or sealed), component quality, warranty and service that SVS offers.

I'm leaning toward the SVS. I've had their products in the past and really liked them. Thanks for your input.
joealtus is offline  
Old 05-17-2012, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
morrischestnut60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by joealtus View Post

Room is 26x22x11.

While the Epiks are 15" drivers, they are sealed and have a less powerful amplifier than the SVS, which are 12", but ported. That's my dilemma.

The drivers are more efficient. They do not require tons of power. I have an Empire with a single SVS PC-12 Plus that I picked up about 3-4 weeks ago. I love SVS products for HT. However, if I had to get rid of one I would sell the SVS. The Empire is addictive. I am not sure if it has to do with the fact that it was designed to focus on 99% of Music/HT material. I will always have a soft spot in my heart for SVS but I love my Empire.

Politics is like religion. You never know who you serve.
morrischestnut60 is offline  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off