Dual Energy S10.3 vs single Hsu/Outlaw - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-18-2012, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a listening area that is 14x25ft that opens up into a great room which is 28x25 ft with 8ft ceilings, 80/20 mix of movies/music, budget of around $700. I believe the Hsu VTF-3 MK4 is the best single sub to energize this entire area, but I am tempted to consider running dual Energy S10.3's since they are on sale for $200 at Newegg. Is the Hsu really worth the extra $300?

If I go with the side firing Hsu, the woofer will only be about 9 inches away from the wall (which is actually a sliding glass door). I have the option to draw a curtain over the glass door to give it a less reflective surface, and that would then only give the woofer about 3-4 inches of clearance. I'm not sure how sensitive the woofer is to having open air in front of it? If so, then it looks like a sub with a down or front firing woofer is in my future (i.e. Outlaw LFM1-EX).

Appreciate any thoughts- thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-18-2012, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
How big is the opening into the great room? That is a HUGE area for any sub, $700 wont really get it done...

You shouldn't play around, no point in spending $700 only to not be satisfied. Just go with a VTF15 so you know it will do the job.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-19-2012, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

How big is the opening into the great room? That is a HUGE area for any sub, $700 wont really get it done...

You shouldn't play around, no point in spending $700 only to not be satisfied. Just go with a VTF15 so you know it will do the job.

It is (unfortunately) wide open, so I basically have a 28x25 ft room where the listening area is on the right half. As I have little kids, I don't need the capability to crank up to a high SPL, just want clean and competent for now. Maybe I can try to up the budget to that VTF-15H, do my part to help the economy.
post #4 of 4 Old 05-19-2012, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Ah okay. I thought you had an additional 28x25 foot room to your 14x25 room. I think the vtf3 could handle that, if you aren't trying to go crazy.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page