Max Output - both ports open 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 05-20-2012, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
If I'm home to sign for it, my LFM-1 EX will be delivered tomorrow! I've seen a few posts on extension vs. output in the owner's thread, but I thought a poll would be helpful. Audiohollics recommends running both ports open (max output) in their review of the LFM-1 EX, but it seems like most people here prefer max extension.

If you take the time to vote and don't mind repeating yourself from an earlier post, would you mind listing your personal experiences with each configuration?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-20-2012, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 496
If you intend to push your sub hard, go for both ports open mode. If you want the deeper bass, go for one port mode. I wouldn't run it one port mode if you are really going to crank it.
post #3 of 14 Old 05-21-2012, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
I used to run a pair of EX's on opposite sides of the room and ran in extension mode and loved it. Only one movie at the time really caused me grief when playing loud (near reference) - Kung Fu Panda (skadoosh scene). Otherwise, they performed beautifully on lots of deep content. Obviously play around in both modes on common deep movie material to see if one mode suits you better over the other.

Why do all of my threads suck? Is there an internet posting school somewhere? -wes k
post #4 of 14 Old 05-21-2012, 05:48 PM

Liked: 12
I voted max extension but, I live in an apartment and vary rarely am able to crank it up enough to appreciate max output mode. Was talking to my downstairs neighbor the other day (someone called management on him about his music and thought is was me being a hypocrite) and he told me I was shaking his ceiling fan and walls....
post #5 of 14 Old 05-21-2012, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the votes and feedback so far. I guess what I'm trying to find out is if one has better sound quality, or if it just gives you bass you can feel vs. more headroom. I think someone mentioned better mid-bass with one of the settings, but another person disagreed. This thing is going in a corner behind my entertainment center. Lifting it to remove or plug a port will be a pain. I guess I'll try max extension first.
post #6 of 14 Old 05-21-2012, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPowers View Post

Lifting it to remove or plug a port will be a pain. I guess I'll try max extension first.

Hi JPowers, what I did was try out max output first. When I unbox the subs, I pulled the plugs then set it as max output and ran auto setup. Watch some movies for a couple of days to get the idea of how it sound and then try max extension (and didn't go back to max output since ).
post #7 of 14 Old 05-21-2012, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I prefer 2 ports sealed when I temporary used 4 outlaws just for fun a few days ago. Yea I do that I haven't started on my dedicated build so I decided to have fun with the nib lfm exs lol

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #8 of 14 Old 05-22-2012, 05:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I go max extension in my apartment. First floor helps with a down firing sub.

My Setup
Stage 1 - Enthusiasm
Stage 2 - Realism
Stage 3 - Obsession
Stage 4 - Acceptance

Which stage are you on?
post #9 of 14 Old 05-22-2012, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
At my last house I used REW to tune my sub. It was flatter in Max Extension, in that room. I brought it to the new house and haven't run REW yet, it seems to sound fine the way it is, and I don't really have much choice in where to put the sub. I do still plan on doing it though, because when I ran it last time, I noticed that even 4" movements could greatly alter the sound characteristics of the sub.

All that said, I have changed mine from ME to MO. While watching "The Innkeepers", there were some very VERY low passages with high output, and I could easily hear port noise. Unplugging the second port remedied the situation. I should mention I watch movies at theater volume levels, so high output is important to me.
post #10 of 14 Old 05-22-2012, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I have dual subs, so ME is what I use.
post #11 of 14 Old 05-22-2012, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 341
I have been tinkering around all morning with my dual LFMs. I have never tried max output, so I gave it a shot and to me max output sounds allot better, more so on the plus as I have a plus and a EX. MO has removed allot of the vibration in the sub.
post #12 of 14 Old 05-22-2012, 11:31 AM

Liked: 10
I have had an LFM1-Plus for 3 weeks, and I run it in max extension (ME).

Sorry for the ignorant questions... I set up my Plus in ME and ran MCACC on my Pioneer 1021K receiver. This set the Plus's gain at 2 and the receiver's sub gain to -1. If I changed the Plus to MO and re-ran MCACC, will the receiver's sub gain just be lowered?

My thinking is that I wanted to hear the lower frequency response, so I set the Plus to ME. And since MCACC only needed the sub's gain at 2, I think that I have plenty of output.

Am I confusing "gain" and "output"? Doesn't more gain = more output?

Thanks
post #13 of 14 Old 05-22-2012, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi JPowers, what I did was try out max output first. When I unbox the subs, I pulled the plugs then set it as max output and ran auto setup. Watch some movies for a couple of days to get the idea of how it sound and then try max extension (and didn't go back to max output since ).

I think I'm going to do it the other way around. Part of the reason for this poll was to see which one I should try first. I don't know if the port noise will be that obvious to me. I've never heard it before.
post #14 of 14 Old 05-23-2012, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
More gain does not equal more output. Think of the gain as the accellerator pedal in your car, and the engine is the output. You can mash the pedal as hard as you want in your Chevette, but it'll still not have the power of a Corvette with the pedal halfway down.

Port noise - I've only heard it once in one specific movie.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page