7.2 Question via my TV - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 05-22-2012, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
stamina1914's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 656
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I currently have my sub hooked up directly to the back of the TV. The TV has a built in Sub Jack. It sounds great.

I recently purchased a 7.1 receiver and was curious what if any distortion would occur if I kept my current sub plugged into the tv and plugged in a second sub directly in to the reciever. Thanks for your help.
stamina1914 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 05-22-2012, 04:19 PM
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 16,325
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4770
They may not be in phase with each other, but if you have a phase switch on the subs that may not be an issue. Distortion shouldn't be an issue as long as you're not driving them at too high a level (some subs have more distortion inherently than you might think, too). Personally I'd just connect them both to the AVR (if your AVR has one sub out jack then I'd use a "y" splitter).
lovinthehd is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 05-22-2012, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
stamina1914's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 656
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 12
That's it a sub splitter. So when I see receiver advertising they are a .2 system, I can easily accomplish this by adding a sub splitter. Do lose any power because of this?
stamina1914 is offline  
post #4 of 7 Old 05-22-2012, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eljaycanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 8,290
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked: 1634
Quote:
Do lose any power because of this?

No, because the receiver doesn't actually power active (self-powered) subs, it just sends a signal to them.
eljaycanuck is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 05-22-2012, 05:24 PM
Senior Member
 
Leo King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: US
Posts: 404
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

They may not be in phase with each other, but if you have a phase switch on the subs that may not be an issue. Distortion shouldn't be an issue as long as you're not driving them at too high a level (some subs have more distortion inherently than you might think, too). Personally I'd just connect them both to the AVR (if your AVR has one sub out jack then I'd use a "y" splitter).

+1 ^^^^

Except in the high end receivers, the middle-range 7.2 receivers just simply split the sub output in 2 jacks for 2 subs. You can use a Y adapter with any 7.1 receiver to get the same thing. No need to worry about losing power when using the Y adapter.

When running more than 1 sub, you need to play with the phase switches as he said above.
Leo King is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 05-22-2012, 05:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Leo King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: US
Posts: 404
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

no, because the receiver doesn't actually power active (self-powered) subs, it just sends a signal to them.

+1 ^^^
Leo King is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 05-22-2012, 09:35 PM
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 16,325
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4770
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamina1914 View Post

That's it a sub splitter. So when I see receiver advertising they are a .2 system, I can easily accomplish this by adding a sub splitter. Do lose any power because of this?

Yep. You might lose a very little bit by splitting the signal, but easily can adjust with the gain/volume adjustment on the sub itself.
lovinthehd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off