New dedicated theater - need a sub - Plz help a noob out - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-26-2012, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 57
All,

Finally my wife is letting me build a dedicated theater room in our new house. I am having the builder frame the outside of the room and I am going to do the inside! I cant wait. Well here are the room dimensions. It will be approximately 12' x 17' x 7' 10". I am going to have a false wall for the screen and store the fronts and sub behind the audio transparant screen. I will have bass traps in the corner and every wall will have sound absorbtion. This will be a 7.1 setup on an 120" diagonal screen. So here are the speakers that I am using and then the sub options:

Denon 3808ci + Oppo 93

Amps - could use advice on this for the fronts and center

Speakers:
Polk CSiA6 – Center
Polk RT600i – Fronts (now)
Polk Rti-A7 – Fronts (future)
Polk 265-RT’s – Surround and Rear Surround

Subs:
Polk DSWpro-600
SVS – PB12NSD
HSU – VTF3-MK4 or VTF2-MK4
Epik Single Empire
Outlaw LFM-1 EX

So which sub would be the best bang for the dollar? I think that they are all within $100 of each other.

Thank you,

Chip

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Indefinitely Delayed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- and still growing!

Family Room: Sharp LC-80uq17u + Denon 3808ci + Oppo 93, Speakers: C: Polk CSi-A6, F(L+R): Polk Rti-A7, S(R+RS) Polk TC60i, Sub: HSU – VTF3-MK4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-26-2012, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
The VTF3 is on sale for $660, so that is the clear winner IMO. Your room will be fairly small, so you could likely get away with keeping it in 16hz mode for some really nice ULF effects.

post #3 of 6 Old 05-26-2012, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Jay,

thanks for the quick reply. What is 16hz mode? Thanks for the probably common knowledge question.

- Indefinitely Delayed

- and still growing!

Family Room: Sharp LC-80uq17u + Denon 3808ci + Oppo 93, Speakers: C: Polk CSi-A6, F(L+R): Polk Rti-A7, S(R+RS) Polk TC60i, Sub: HSU – VTF3-MK4
post #4 of 6 Old 05-26-2012, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
The VTF stands for "variable tuning frequency". When both ports are open the sub is tuned to 22hz, when you plug one of the ports the sub is tuned to 16hz, as seen in the image.

The downside is if you push the sub to hard with less port area you'll get port noise. In your room this shouldn't be an issue.
LL

post #5 of 6 Old 05-26-2012, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 512
The Empire will have more output in the mid bass and upper bass regions, while the VTF3 will have more output in the low frequencies near its tuning point. I would choose from either of those subs. I think you would be happy with either.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-26-2012, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your quick responses. I will get one of those two. Anything would be better than a polk psw-350 that is about 12 years old and still kicking!

- Indefinitely Delayed

- and still growing!

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page