Difference in subwoofer cables? (Brand vs brand, or model vs model) - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 32 Old 05-28-2012, 07:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

So do you prefer self powered speakers? Cat 12s maybe?

Id also assume you are using a jl or velodyne cause you don't prefer using separate eq(audy or ypao and such)?

I don't know what diy projects you've seen but the ones I have are awesome. (Eric's/edgor lms5400 for example)

Apples and oranges on the speakers. I use my SMS-1, along with Audy, but it's to make a good thing better and provide for multiple settings, a house curve, etc. A properly designed , fully integrated subwoofer will deliver the goods right out of the box. DIY designs will require a level of experience and effort that is beyond many casual users, but can indeed offer superior performance. However, then there are those companies that try to offer a pseudo DIY product, one that is not capable of plug and play. Some of these designs are not able to extend deep enough without a lot of eq, which then requires massive amplifier power to avoid clipping. These passive designs will recommend noisy pro amps, to provide the kilowatts necessary in order to dig deep. IMO that is why these designs never seem to get tested by the Pros or by Ricci, they aren't really ready for prime time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 32 Old 05-28-2012, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Without Shakti Stones, you're wasting your time (and money).
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page