post #1 of 32 Old 05-27-2012, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Are there any? I'm finding sites that say there are quite a big differences
in them, but I read here that there aren't, but I'm hearing a difference
between the two that I have; a couple of monster cables.

Here is one of the sites I found. The monster cable I do have, (SW100) got

the worst of the reviews - not because of performance, but lack of information about its product - says the site.

http://subwoofer-cable-review.toptenreviews.com/

First of all, please turn flamethrowers off, I'm not endorsing monster in any
way. If this had been another brand altogether, I would have written the same thing about that brand.

I have two cables, monster models SW600(10ft, thicker, better build, more
'fluff' on the cable, more expensive) & SW100(16ft, thinner, cheaper build, no
'fluff', considerably less expensive). The SW600 was stored away for a while
because I was using the longer cable for near field experiment so I decided to switch them out just for kicks and see if there was an audible difference to justify the cost and thickness/build, since I really didn't need the 16ft
cable to be used for 3 ft of distance any longer (cable management time).

Surprise, there was quite a difference.

The SW600 produces considerably more deep, tight bass output than the SW100, which didn't sound bad itself (at least I thought), but the difference is almost night and day, now that I A/B'd them right after the other.

I'm hearing deep rumbles and lows now that I never noticed before, from HDTV to DVD/blu rays. The cheaper, longer THX cable gives a more boomy, looser sounding bass and am now seeing why the shorter, thicker, cable was
more expensive. Amazing the things you dont notice if you dont compare them side by side - which leads me to ask - has anyone else experienced this
between cables or done this kind of test? Is it the thickness, materials,
length, build, etc. that come into play and is that what make one cable sound much better than another?

I mean there MUST be something that justifies the cost difference, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 05-27-2012, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
If you want to believe there is, go right ahead. Two wire coat hangers will work just as good.
post #3 of 32 Old 05-27-2012, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Nuts but maybe you can do some measuring for us? They should measure different if you can notice that much.
post #4 of 32 Old 05-27-2012, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
Marketing and gullibility are justifications. Monster brand has always been equated as a ripoff for the masses, but then they market to the masses.

If you think your system sounds better with A vs B that's all that really matters.

post #5 of 32 Old 05-27-2012, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
As an installer never heard a difference between any of them in my home I have the luxury of trying any brand our distributor carries and no difference has been noted most of the time I use RG6Q make it to length and it performs just as well.
post #6 of 32 Old 05-27-2012, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I have used Monster sub cables, Belkin and Monoprice. I have not heard a difference between them. I have my entire sub system connected with Monoprice cables right now. On the other hand I have heard a difference with different brand speaker wires. I have used almost everything from electrical extention cords when I was a kid to cheap RCA brand wires to Monster brand wire. I have found in my experience the Monster brand I use does sound cleaner and clearer to me. If it was just in my head, I would have the same results with my sub cables but I don't. I find that the least expensive Monoprice sub cables sound the same to me as the more expensive Monster brand.

Klipsch Synergy 3 speakers (LCR & surrounds)
dual Klipsch RW 12d
dual BIC PL-200
120" DIY 16:9 screen
Panasonic PT AX 200U projector
Panasonic BMP-BD35 blu-ray
Velodyne SMS-1
post #7 of 32 Old 05-27-2012, 05:20 PM

Capicorn kid, if you are that good in thinking that Monster cables trump others, than you should be able to tell yourself that a burger from Mickey D's tastes like a $150 burger.

Sorry, but the only thing that Monster cables is good at, is parting people with their money.
post #8 of 32 Old 05-27-2012, 05:35 PM

Liked: 11
+1 for Monoprice, it offers the same performance at a rock bottom price.
post #9 of 32 Old 05-27-2012, 05:48 PM

Liked: 12
When it comes to subwoofer cables as long as it is put together correctly the shielding wire is not touching the conduit wire then any brand will be the same results. When it comes to speaker wire that is slightly a little bit different, just think of the speaker wire like a water hose. The bigger the hose like what the firefighter uses the more water coming out. The smaller hose like a garden hose not as much water coming out. But if you use a firehose and only putting out garden hose pressure then you are wasting you money on lower gauge wire for nothing. Now if you have fire hose pressure coming out the garden hose then you underwhelming you system.

Now you may think well hell why doesn't that apply to the subwoofer cable. the mere fact that no wattage is being pumped through a subwoofer cable. It is a pre-out and a signal is going to the sub to be amplified.
post #10 of 32 Old 05-27-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman24 View Post

Now you may think well hell why doesn't that apply to the subwoofer cable. the mere fact that no wattage is being pumped through a subwoofer cable. It is a pre-out and a signal is going to the sub to be amplified.

Actually incorrect, due to not every sub is self powered with a amp on board.
post #11 of 32 Old 05-27-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Actually incorrect, due to not every sub is self powered with a amp on board.

ok for the few of those that do not have a power subwoofer, then yes the the cable of subwoofer would matter but you would be using speaker wire and not an RCA cable.

Who still uses passive subwoofers???

The OP seems to have a power subwoofer
post #12 of 32 Old 05-27-2012, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

Capicorn kid, if you are that good in thinking that Monster cables trump others, than you should be able to tell yourself that a burger from Mickey D's tastes like a $150 burger.

Sorry, but the only thing that Monster cables is good at, is parting people with their money.

I'm not saying Monster cable trumps other cables, I'm simply saying they do sound better than the other cheap speaker wire I have used. Maybe a brand like Vampire wire or Audioquest will sound better to me but I have never tried them. Kimber speaker wires get great reviews but I will never buy a set because of the outrageous price tag. As I said, I use Monoprice sub cables for my subwoofers and they are fantastic quality for an amazing price.

Klipsch Synergy 3 speakers (LCR & surrounds)
dual Klipsch RW 12d
dual BIC PL-200
120" DIY 16:9 screen
Panasonic PT AX 200U projector
Panasonic BMP-BD35 blu-ray
Velodyne SMS-1
post #13 of 32 Old 05-27-2012, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I realize monster is like Bose - they were recommended to me by a friend when I was a musician then quickly realized how bad they were, at least for musical instruments. The ONLY thing I'll give them credit for is the question free replacement if something goes wrong with them. I would love to take measurements but I have no way of doing so.

It's weird though the difference I'm hearing - maybe it is in my head lol.

Did anyone check out that site, do those 'reviews' make any sense?
post #14 of 32 Old 05-27-2012, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capricorn kid View Post

I'm not saying Monster cable trumps other cables, I'm simply saying they do sound better than the other cheap speaker wire I have used. Maybe a brand like Vampire wire or Audioquest will sound better to me but I have never tried them. Kimber speaker wires get great reviews but I will never buy a set because of the outrageous price tag. As I said, I use Monoprice sub cables for my subwoofers and they are fantastic quality for an amazing price.

If you are in the market for speaker wire try Blue Jeans then are resonable and great build!!!
post #15 of 32 Old 05-27-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunan View Post

I realize monster is like Bose - they were recommended to me by a friend when I was a musician then quickly realized how bad they were, at least for musical instruments. The ONLY thing I'll give them credit for is the question free replacement if something goes wrong with them. I would love to take measurements but I have no way of doing so.

It's weird though the difference I'm hearing - maybe it is in my head lol.

Did anyone check out that site, do those 'reviews' make any sense?

yeah I checked it out; all it is, who padded the reviewers wallet
post #16 of 32 Old 05-27-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:

ok for the few of those that do not have a power subwoofer, then yes the the cable of subwoofer would matter but you would be using speaker wire and not an RCA cable.

A lot use passive subwoofers. They are used in theaters, concerts, etc.. Passive will trump powered subs any day.
post #17 of 32 Old 05-27-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capricorn kid View Post

Keep on digging that hole deeper. Tell us all how you really feel about Monster cables, etc. that are over priced marketed just because the name sounds cool.
post #18 of 32 Old 05-27-2012, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
post #19 of 32 Old 05-27-2012, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
Quote:

Keep on digging that hole deeper. Tell us all how you really feel about Monster cables, etc. that are over priced marketed just because the name sounds cool.

Why so militant? If it sounds better to him then that's great - it's his money, his enjoyment. You're no stranger to digging deep holes, remember what that was like?

post #20 of 32 Old 05-27-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

All Blue Jeans!

Me Too speaker wire, HDMI cables, subwoofer cable, and even my CAT5 cable
post #21 of 32 Old 05-27-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:

A lot use passive subwoofers. They are used in theaters, concerts, etc.. Passive will trump powered subs any day.

I will take my active powered sub anyday.

Yes I have had a passive (and still do) sub btw, then again it was from a RCA brand HTIB not a fair fight against my BIC PL-200 subs. Plus I have one in my bedroom that came with the Sony HTIB (which is not bad but I heard better).
post #22 of 32 Old 05-27-2012, 07:00 PM

The only thing that matters is the resistance of the cable and how much voltage drop (signal attenuation) occurs over the length of run from the equipment to the sub (or other speakers). In other words, don't use 22AWG wire for 30ft runs.

I would write more about it, but I think Roger Russel has written it quite well: http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm He used to work at McIntosh Lab many years ago.

V = IR
P = IV
post #23 of 32 Old 05-27-2012, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 101
Quote:

A lot of diyers...

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #24 of 32 Old 05-27-2012, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I will take my active powered sub anyday.

Yes I have had a passive (and still do) sub btw, then again it was from a RCA brand HTIB not a fair fight against my BIC PL-200 subs. Plus I have one in my bedroom that came with the Sony HTIB (which is not bad but I heard better).

nothing wrong with passive subs. They are just subs without the amp in em. Not all passive subs are the ones you find in htibs. Look up what lms5400s can do or the cht passive subs.

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

post #25 of 32 Old 05-27-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

Why so militant? If it sounds better to him then that's great - it's his money, his enjoyment. You're no stranger to digging deep holes, remember what that was like?

Militant? Read much into what people post much? I take it that you take offense when at the grocery store, and the clerk asks if you want paper or plastic.
post #26 of 32 Old 05-27-2012, 08:45 PM

I prefer my subs to be fully implemented designs, not pseudo DIY designs that require separate amps, separate eq, etc. It's not enough to slap a driver in a cabinet, there is no guarantee that the performance will be there. If I wanted to do that I would build my own, and not pay some guy to build a box and leave the rest to me!
post #27 of 32 Old 05-27-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridapoolboy View Post

i prefer my subs to be fully implemented designs, not pseudo diy designs that require separate amps, separate eq, etc. It's not enough to slap a driver in a cabinet, there is no guarantee that the performance will be there. If i wanted to do that i would build my own, and not pay some guy to build a box and leave the rest to me!

+1
post #28 of 32 Old 05-27-2012, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

I prefer my subs to be fully implemented designs, not pseudo DIY designs that require separate amps, separate eq, etc. It's not enough to slap a driver in a cabinet, there is no guarantee that the performance will be there. If I wanted to do that I would build my own, and not pay some guy to build a box and leave the rest to me!

I'm guessing you eat out a lot.
post #29 of 32 Old 05-28-2012, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So do you prefer self powered speakers? Cat 12s maybe? They have their own amps so theres no chance you could screw up their performance by choosing the wrong amp . Its basically an implemented design is it not?

Id also assume you are using a jl or velodyne cause you don't prefer using separate eq(audy, ypao, sms1, and such)?

I don't know what diy projects you've seen but the ones I have are awesome. (Eric's/edgor lms5400 for example). So if I somehow decided to put my ep2500 into an enclosure(w/ an lm5400) it would technically be a powered sub. Would you still not like it even though some folks here who heard em againt subms said they were awesome?

post #30 of 32 Old 05-28-2012, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

I use monster cables and they make my subwoofer sound twice as good than my radio shack rca cables.

J/k. Couldnt resist the sarcasm.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page