AVS Forum banner

muse 18 subwoofer

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  kgb540 
#1 ·
So i found a used muse 18 subwoofer on craigslist for $200. I currently have a Klipsch rw-12d subwoofer. Would the muse sub be an upgrade from my current sub? Is the muse still a good sub by today's standards?

#3 ·
The Muse was an Audiophile sub that came on the scene back in the 90's. It coincided with the Dolby Surround era and thus was added to the HT crowd as a HT add on. I'm not sure how it panned out, but here is a review by one of Stereophiles only colorful reviewers Cory G

http://www.stereophile.com/content/m...orey-greenberg

I think if you are serious about Sub'n, you should concider a real HT sub

#4 ·
The Muse Model 18 is an audiophile first sub. And at that, it is extremely good. If you are looking to hit reference WOWT scenes go elsewhere. if you want a sub that is going to be sonically rewarding with all the music you play (especially for $200!!!), I'd snag that Muse up in a second. IIRC, the Muse had "cards" or something that you implimented for crossover and such so that may be an issue depending on how it is configured.

****I found it on craigslist too, if it were 100 miles closer I'd get it myself!! Go get it!!

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb540 /forum/post/22074338

The Muse Model 18 is an audiophile first sub. And at that, it is extremely good. If you are looking to hit reference WOWT scenes go elsewhere. if you want a sub that is going to be sonically rewarding with all the music you play (especially for $200!!!), I'd snag that Muse up in a second. IIRC, the Muse had "cards" or something that you implimented for crossover and such so that may be an issue depending on how it is configured.

****I found it on craigslist too, if it were 100 miles closer I'd get it myself!! Go get it!!

It did have cards ! The reviewer was using it with his Spica Angelous, those speakers were Magic....

Well put, with a 225watt amp and dual 10's, a HT sub it is not, but audio would be a little killer, like the Vandersteen 2W

#6 ·
There is one on Ebay right now for $1295!! It isn't exactly a small sub though, actually it is fairly large. Keep in might that this thing retailed for $2500 when it came out 20 years ago!! That was seriously large green for a subwoofer back then. OP, have you convinced yourself to get it? If not for yourself buy it for me, drive 100 miles south and I'll give you $325 for it. WIN-WIN!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.