Let me apologize in advance - this is yet another, "what sub should I purchase" thread. My current sub, a Rocket UFW-10, has served me well, but it's time for me to move up. It was originally purchased for a dual purpose system that was primarily used for music. I needed something small and musical that could be easily hidden in our living room. Things have changed considerably in the last 5 years, and now I want something for home theater duty. I've been reading this forum thoroughly for about 3 months, trying to decide what to buy, and I'm close to my purchase date.
Before going any further, let me clearly state, DIY is not an option. I'm the kind of guy who hires a handyman to hang blinds (embarrassing, but true...).
Without further ado, here are answers to the prerequisite questions:
1. Your budget: $1700 delivered (no sales tax here in Oregon). This is already stretching my limits, so please don't recommend anything much more than this. I *may* be able to go another $100, but that's only if something spectacular happens (i.e., Seaton decides to hold a major sale).
I'm leaning toward the Epik Empire, since I can get two in this price. Obviously, if people think 1 sub (say a ULS-15) would fit my needs, I'd be more than happy to spend less money.
Please don't recommend that I buy 1 sub now and save for another one later. This purchase is a reward to myself for meeting a 5 year goal in 4 years. If I get 2 subs now and within budget, great! If I purchase 1 sub now, that's what I'm going to live with for the foreseeable future. Any money saved will be happily repurposed.
2. Size requirements/limits: Not too much of an issue. This is a dedicated room, and my wife enjoys a good sounding system. There's room for large boxes if need be.
3. Room dimensions: I have a strange room that the previous owner converted from a garage. It's a 13x20 rectangle. However, the ceiling slopes up from ~6.5' high at the front end (with the TV and front speakers) to 12.5' right behind the seating area. Then there's a ledge that comes straight down. After that the room levels off at an 8' ceiling. All in all, it's about 2400^3', with some weird angles.
I don't currently have a good room correction solution, but I plan to get one soon, whether I get 1 sub or two. I also want to look into room treatments, but I need to better understand what needs to be tamed, and how to tame it. That'll come (hopefully) in the next 6 months.
4. Primary uses: This is a dedicated HT room. No music, unless it's part of a move. Concert Blu Rays are very rare, although a number of our favorite shows (like Treme) and movies (like The Big Lebowski) feature music quite centrally.
5. Listening habits: I'm not sure if my listening habits would be considered loud or soft or in between. Last night I put on the opening sequence of Dark Knight with the processor at normal listening volume. In the second chapter, when the Batmobile fires the missile in the parking garage, it registered about 84 dB on my RS SPL meter. Occasionally I'll turn things up a little louder.
6. Appearance requirements: I could care less. The room will be dark.
7. Timeframe: I plan to buy around mid July. I don't mind waiting a bit if something awesome is in the wings or on back order.
Thanks for any help!