Old 05-31-2012, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwarny View Post

/Follows Greg (wonders when Archaea noticed his first note under 20 Hz).

I heard first at avsforum member's luke kamps house on his HSU VTF-15H with a 16hz tune in a 1500 cubic foot room on the incredible hulk cop car scene. Previous to that I've always played around with more traditional retail subs, My Infinity HPS-1000 pair, My Jamo D7Sub pair, a JBL Sub, a few nice expensive velodynes, a couple PA 18's, a TON of car audio stuff, a DIY sealed ottoman sub with four 15's that was more college frat cool factor than actual design intelligence, and a bunch of other low budget junk. The HSU gave me a forced grin that I just couldn't shake I think it was my first exposure to a true subwoofer, or at least my first exposure to great subwoofer in a small room that complimented its capabilities!!! I'd like to bring one of my Infinity HPS-1000 over to Luke's house for some testing to see how it does in Luke's room now that I have one working again! At any rate we rewatched the same scene with the HSU in the 22hz tune. With the 22hz tune -- I felt a bit of been there done that, and asked if we could put it back in the 16hz tune. We did and we watched it again -- my unstoppable smile was back! I've not found that very bottom inaudible octave to do anything extra for me --- but down to 15 or even 20hz with a good strong flat frequency response is phenominal! There is gads of difference between most of these retail subs that say 25 or 30hz -150 with +-3 or +-6 db and a sub that actually measures darn near flat to 20hz or a bit lower!

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2012, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by edoggrc51 View Post

^^^^^

That's awesome! lol Sorry Greg, don't think these guys will ever let ya live that one down

As for that BHD scene, 4 LMS's will definitely let ya feel what's going on there. The heli's rotor blades just hit ya oh so hard!

I wished I could have made it out for your meet! I would have liked to hear the LMS-5400's cut loose. I had gone to Terry's meet in Wisconsin the month before and feared risking my wife's wrath if I asked to go to two out of state audio meets in a row for April and May. Terry had a pair of the LMS-5400's but he wouldn't let us crank on them.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
Old 05-31-2012, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 1027
Quote:
Originally Posted by TsunamiMike View Post

So the 2 subs i am looking at PA-150 and Polk PSW505 both go near the 25hz mark but why is under 30hz so important? What does it do for viewing pleaseure with movies or music? How can i tell?

Lots of great advice and comments...just get it over with is a great way to go rather than work your way into it. Go big and as bad ass as you can afford.... and fit and move around . The low stuff is indeed addictive, so there's no going back...

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

Old 05-31-2012, 11:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you have the money to buy good subs with this kind of extension, you'll enjoy the result.

Connecting People.Powering the would.
buy zippo
Old 06-01-2012, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

I wished I could have made it out for your meet! I would have liked to hear the LMS-5400's cut loose. I had gone to Terry's meet in Wisconsin the month before and feared risking my wife's wrath if I asked to go to two out of state audio meets in a row for April and May. Terry had a pair of the LMS-5400's but he wouldn't let us crank on them.

Once they did a little setup on the pair of LMS's we had at the meet they REALLY shined. Especially considering the HUGE room(s) we were in.

In my room a pair of them sound great, plenty of output and great extension. But I honestly was not expecting what adding the 2nd pair of subs did. I would sometimes bump up the bass by 6db's when I had 2 subs running to try and simulate what it would sound like when the next pair came and though it gave me an idea of what I was in for, it really doesn't compare. Headroom for days. The bass waves just hit so hard and so clean its a bit difficult to describe. I think it's just something you have to experience for yourself. If you're ever in sunny SoCal shoot me a PM, I'll be more than happy to have ya stop by. I have no problem cranking on these puppies. That's what they're for right?
Old 06-01-2012, 08:26 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

I have experienced bass below 5 hertz with a rotary sub and its awesome. No single
conventional subwoofer can produce this kind of realism and excitement.
With this sub one can hear down to 10 hertz and feel down to below 5 hertz,
and this with a measly 200 watts. I have been in Vietnam during the
war and have felt what mortar rounds can feel like from a distance (around
50 feet away). The rotary gets mighty close to the same feeling I got in Vietnam and for a moment I wanted to take cover (awesome)!
The movie War Horse has a battle scene with mortar rounds going off, which is
a good example of what I experienced while in Vietnam.

I am from Wisconsin also, and have had a number of audiophiles experience this rotary sub and said the infra bass is something that more audiophiles should
hear and feel.
LL
LL
LL
Old 06-24-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jproy13 View Post

To the OP. Let me tell you my story and what will mostly happen to you,

I started out with dual Polk PSW10, I thought I was the $hit. I quickly realized that my towers were playing with more autorithy than my subs. How could this be, my xover was set at 80hz? Then I started reading on AVS that those were better suited for a computer setup at best...also, seeking advice, most folks here were encouraging me to save up and get worthy subs, it fell on dead ears.

Then, I went with dual Bic F12. Wow, what an improvement, much better for movies but, again, like the folks here were saying, not much for music. They were right. Again, folks here encouraged me to save up and get worthy subs, it fell on dead ears.

Being persistant, I opted for dual Premier Acoustic PA-120. Although they didn't provide any more output, they were much more articulate and precise if you will. I stayed with them for a bit as they look nice and were quite capable for their price point. One day I decided to download LFE test sweeps and came to the conclusion that I was missing everything under 25Hz.

I then decided that I didn't want to miss out on the sub 25 Hz as many many movies now include LFE (and ULF) in their audio soundtrack very frequently. So I finally listen to the folks here and save up to get myself worthy subs.

I now have dual SVS PB12-NSD and have 0 regrets in my decision. No, they are not the last word in subs but the value is top notch. I ear and feel content that I never did before when rewatching movies. It even makes boring movies watchable. Even my wife is in it and happy that I purchased them.

Moral, litsen to what the folks here are telling you. If I would have, I probably would have save hundreds of $$$. Budget is budget, I understand, but the satisfaction is worth it and it's nice to put an important part of your system like a subwoofer to rest and stop looking over your shoulder wondering, what if..?

cheers

That's awesome. Your subs are exactly what I'm on the fence over....
Old 06-25-2012, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 65
"I started out with dual Polk PSW10, ... $200

Then, I went with dual Bic F12, ... $380

I opted for dual Premier Acoustic PA-120, ... $520

then decided that I didn't want to miss out on the sub 25 Hz ...

So I finally listen to the folks here...

now have dual SVS PB12-NSD" , ... $1538

for a grand total of... $2638. those are current prices, not including shipping or current sales... just a quick search...

morale of the story.... buy the right tools once.
Joseph

It's for 'wall hung dude', and no, I don't need any help to 'hook-up'.... sheesh ... dirty minds around these parts....
Old 06-25-2012, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlhungdude View Post

"I started out with dual Polk PSW10, ... $200

Then, I went with dual Bic F12, ... $380

I opted for dual Premier Acoustic PA-120, ... $520

then decided that I didn't want to miss out on the sub 25 Hz ...

So I finally listen to the folks here...

now have dual SVS PB12-NSD" , ... $1538

for a grand total of... $2638. those are current prices, not including shipping or current sales... just a quick search...

morale of the story.... buy the right tools once.
Joseph
+1

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
Old 06-27-2012, 01:33 PM

Wow, some stories here. I'm in the same boat as the OP and almost the same room size (15'x30') but with cathedral ceilengs. It's a ranch with one of those living/dining/kitchen open floor plans.

I was thinking of building myself a pair of DIY subs using Dayton 15" HF with 500w amps in a 3.25 cu ft sealed box, but now I'm having seconds thoughts.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 72
My living hall that opens to the kitchen, dining area and stairs is about ~8,000 cu ft (total space). Can a single sub (eg SVS PB12-Plus or Rythmik FV15HP) do the job?
Old 06-28-2012, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Probably not

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
Old 06-28-2012, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 1027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

My living hall that opens to the kitchen, dining area and stairs is about ~8,000 cu ft (total space). Can a single sub (eg SVS PB12-Plus or Rythmik FV15HP) do the job?

Maybe a Seaton Terraform XL ? smile.gif

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

Old 11-11-2012, 02:00 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YpXIFfScAUultra low frequencies matter a lot! Two 10" subs won't do a darn thing for that big a room in the sub 30hz range. For a 4,300 cubic foot room you are going to want at minimum two typical 15" or 18" subwoofers if you really want to truly experience the ULF. (there are exceptions of course - like the SVS PB13 Ultra) -- but you aren't talking "cheap" exceptions...

Great video,

Prometheus made my HT room shake the walls were moving almost feeling an earth quake! biggrin.gif I use two JL Audio Fathom F113 I am not sure how low they go down to, but they sure were rattling the walls and doors, wonder if it can cause internal damage?
Old 11-11-2012, 02:02 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwaaudio View Post

I have experienced bass below 5 hertz with a rotary sub and its awesome. No single conventional subwoofer can produce this kind of realism and excitement. With this sub one can hear down to 10 hertz and feel down to below 5 hertz, and this with a measly 200 watts. I have been in Vietnam during the war and have felt what mortar rounds can feel like from a distance (around 50 feet away). The rotary gets mighty close to the same feeling I got in Vietnam and for a moment I wanted to take cover (awesome)! The movie War Horse has a battle scene with mortar rounds going off, which is a good example of what I experienced while in Vietnam. I am from Wisconsin also, and have had a number of audiophiles experience this rotary sub and said the infra bass is something that more audiophiles should

hear and feel.
525x525px-LL-cf5e2c16_vbattach248192.jpeg
525x525px-LL-5a695cc7_vbattach248193.jpeg
525x525px-LL-8de464b6_vbattach248194.jpeg

Sweet, this is wild looks like bales of the rotor of a giant ship!
Old 09-08-2014, 12:27 PM

An Old thread but cant resist

As a male going on 50 yrs, I am quite amused at how many of my friends sweat the 10 kHz and up capability of their systems/ speakers only to realize that their ability to hear at those frequencies is quickly dropping or is now totally absent due to age. The lower frequencies, however, are much more "felt" than heard. This is why i devote so much energy in getting great SW performance. Just as critical as the SW however is your room. How many times have you passed a car a with a tremendously powerful radio and speakers only to frown at the resonances and distortion? the same will happen in your room if you are not careful. Good EQ calibration is a must to getting the best and most enjoable sound from a good quality sub. Bottom line... please do yourself a favor and don't overlook the low end of the spectrum.