w00t deal on Pinnacle audio till June 11th - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 39 Old 06-07-2012, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm not sure about the rules on deal spotting, but hopefully this is allowed.

There seems to be some good deals on woot for Pinnacle subs, center, and bookshelves. These are good till the 11th and shipping is $5.

http://www.woot.com/plus/pinnacle-speakers-and-subwoofers

What are your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 06-07-2012, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 785
that dual 12" sub for 555 shipped is it dual opposed?

It says 2 12" drivers but its hard to tell from the pictures how the driver config is laid out.

It might be reasonably similar to an epik legend or epik empire.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #3 of 39 Old 06-07-2012, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

They're "in a compact isobaric configuration". http://www.pinnaclespeakers.com/supersonic.html. It seems to have pretty good specs and a $2000 MSRP. Might be worth checking out for $550
post #4 of 39 Old 06-07-2012, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Based on the woot pictures and the pinnacle site I think this is not dual opposed. I belive it is the supersonic model.
http://www.pinnaclespeakers.com/supersonic.html

+-3 dB to 22 hz

I have experience with the Klipsce RW-12d sub and by the specs it appears this Supersonic Pinnacle sub might be a bit better. The Klipsch RW-12D sub is rated +-3 dB to 24 hz.
http://www.klipsch.com/rw-12d-subwoofer

I don't think this pinnacle sub is going to be absolute must purchase however because the next model up in this pinnacle line is the Ultrasonic, and it's rated to a 116dB max, (just like the Klipsch RW-12d) --- so it's not like this Pinnacle sub and the Klipsch sub are necessarily in different categories.

The piano finish, the 800 watt amp, the dual 12" drivers all make the price of $555 shipped pretty lucrative if you need a nice preforming, sexy looking box. From the specs and a quick look over I'd say go for it if a nice looking box and a seven year warranty driver warranty appeal!. It's worth no where near it's MSRP of $2K, but at $555 --- it's a pretty interesting find!

I'm going to PM a friend of mine about it, it just might be a good match for him at or around the $500 mark.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #5 of 39 Old 06-07-2012, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Wonder how it sounds compare to the SVS SB12-NSD? Also I never see 2 12" driver designed that way?
post #6 of 39 Old 06-07-2012, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 554
post #7 of 39 Old 06-07-2012, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Based on the woot pictures and the pinnacle site I think this is not dual opposed. I belive it is the supersonic model.
http://www.pinnaclespeakers.com/supersonic.html
+-3 dB to 22 hz

Actually, Pinnacles description says "Subwoofer Low End Frequency Response: 23 kHz (-3dB)". Yup, that's 23,000Hz, at not too impressive lower frequency response if you ask me... eek.gifwink.gif

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #8 of 39 Old 06-07-2012, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Actually, Pinnacles description says "Subwoofer Low End Frequency Response: 23 kHz (-3dB)". Yup, that's 23,000Hz, at not too impressive lower frequency response if you ask me... eek.gifwink.gif

That's a very large tweeter!biggrin.gif

Interesting..one of the pictures of the plate amp clearly shows "designed and manufactured in USA". You don't see that anymore. I wish I knew more about this subwoofer. I had a M&K push/pull sealed sub that was the cat's meow in its day.
post #9 of 39 Old 06-07-2012, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Basically Isobaric cuts the box size requirement in half. A single one of those woofers would require a box twice as big to equal the system Q they're getting from the pair. The trade off is the pair of woofers requires twice as much power to equal what a single woofer in a larger box requires. It is not very common due to the costly downsides.

Chances are the woofers are pretty high quality, but I wouldn't expect a bunch of output.
post #10 of 39 Old 06-07-2012, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I have a feeling that even at $550 it's overpriced. Might be worth taking a shot if it was around $250 - $300.
post #11 of 39 Old 06-08-2012, 04:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post

I have a feeling that even at $550 it's overpriced. Might be worth taking a shot if it was around $250 - $300.
What do you think would compete so well against it art 555 pricepoint? At that pricepoint you either go loud or low. Not really both. Taking in that pinnacle generally has good reviews on their audio gear at places like audioreview.com this probably represents a good audio value and an exceptionally finished box at this pricepoint. Would it beat a 1000$ option like the hsu vtf15h no way. But at 550 it looks interesting enough for me to purchase if I were in the market. It reminds me of the 2000 msrp jamoo d7 sub deal I bought last year. Had I not had reliability issues on those amps they were definitely worth the 500 I paid.

My only hesitation on full recommendation is the lack of any kind of review with graphs and.then it may prove that the klipsch rw-12d pair for 600 or $700 depending on the current sale represents an equivalent capability with the bonus of two sub frequency response smoothing.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #12 of 39 Old 06-08-2012, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But at 550 it looks interesting enough for me to purchase if I were in the market.

I'm not, but I did (not in the market, but ordered one anyway). I was intrigued, which is always bad for my bank account unfortunately.

When I evaluated the PS Sub 225 I thought it was pretty articulate for a budget ported sub. My biggest concern about the sound was the lack of depth - it simply needed more stones. The Supersonic might cure that.

In the case of the PS Sub 225 Pinnacle claims the -3dB point is 30Hz, and I would concur. Disregarding the obvious typo (doesn't anyone who works there check the website for accuracy?) the Supersonic's claimed 23dB is probably accurate as well, which doesn't strike me as bad for a $550 acoustic suspension sub in a 15" cube. So out came the wallet... biggrin.gif

post #13 of 39 Old 06-08-2012, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

^^
so you are going to write a review for us or at least a comparision to the Rumba 12? How many subs you currently have for yourself?
post #14 of 39 Old 06-08-2012, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Most excellent Jim! I'm looking forward to the review.

I'll be surprised if this sub dissappoints for this pricepoint.

The cost of parts is more than $550 as it were.

Piano Gloss Cabinet ~ $200+
800 watt plate amp ~$300
(2) 12" drivers - ?????

Worst comes to worst you could repurpose the cabinet to a single sealed sub box and put a really high quality single 12" driver in there, power it by the 800 watt plate amp and probably make a cool DIY project. Sell the 2 pinnacle subs on craigslist to recoup additional cost.

It's too bad there aren't more reviews and apparently won't be any more reviews until Jim does his, which will likely be after the June 11th sale end date.

I found this thread on avs with a positive review.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/785185/pinnacle-supersonic-subwoofer-owners-out-there/0_50

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #15 of 39 Old 06-08-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's too bad there aren't more reviews and apparently won't be any more reviews until Jim does his, which will likely be after the June 11th sale end date.

It may be even longer; I actually hadn't intended on doing a review. smile.gif I ordered it more out of curiosity then anything - I've never heard a sub configured that way, so I was interested to see what the design had to offer.

Like most Pinnacle speakers, it seems few companies actually sell the Supersonic. How Pinnacle manages to stay in business is a bit of a mystery to me, quite honestly, but they've been soldiering on for decades somehow. The reviews are a significant investment of time, and I'm leery to do all that work for a subwoofer no one can buy.

I found a company called savingslot.com that appears to sell them, although the fact they don't even have a pic of it does make it seem unlikely they really do stock them. The price is certainly tempting though. Another one is petra.com but you can't even see the price unless you log in, almost like they're some type of exclusive club. Beyond that there's nothing, so when the woot sale ends will someone actually be able to buy one of them? That's why I'm undecided about doing a review - I'm not sure the effort would benefit anyone.

post #16 of 39 Old 06-08-2012, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

I'd certainly enjoy seeing a review of the sub. Even though it might be hard to find the Supersonic, they have several other subs that are easier to purchase but don't have many reviews. I think that having a review of the Supersonic would help since it uses a unusual design and may convince people to check out their other products. Apparently Pinnacle is the 2nd oldest independent audio company, but they aren't very popular. They seem to have some great budget subs that might be worth checking out too.

Jim you don't need to do a full review that takes forever to write up, but if you're gonna order the sub then might as well do a short review. I think a lot of AVS people value your judgement!
joatmon3 likes this.
post #17 of 39 Old 06-08-2012, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

^^
may be not a review but a couple sentences comparing it to the same price/ similar size Rumba 12?
post #18 of 39 Old 06-08-2012, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I might be able to put something together. I have 3 other units lined up for review, but the timing is falling apart; now it appears as though they all might be getting to me around the same time (end of June). If that turns out to be the case I might have an opportunity between now and then, assuming WOOT ships my order soon.

post #19 of 39 Old 06-18-2012, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I received the Supersonic about a week ago. My schedule right now is such that I haven't had much time to spend with it, but I have drawn a few conclusions thus far.

It came double boxed, but 3 of the 4 grill pins were snapped off nonetheless. The outside box looked OK too, so it didn't appear to suffer a rough trip, which implies it was packed that way. It's not large by any stretch of the imagination, which is a good thing. There's no way to disable the auto-on feature; it's either off or not. The power cord is permanently attached too, which I thought was dopey when I looked at the PS Sub 225. I don't like it any better now.

It has maybe 10 hours on it at this point, so I doubt it's fully broken in yet. The sound is pretty clean and powerful, and I generally like what I'm hearing (quantity and quality wise), but on occasion I do sense mechanical distress from the driver during very deep bass. I haven't paid very close attention to it though, so it might be something else.

One thing I found very interesting is the finish; it seems to be wrapped in a plastic-like material. I know the website implies it's this elaborate, multi-step painting process -- and Pinnacle Support did say it was -- but it sure doesn't look like it. To me it seems as though it was wrapped in something, and not painted. And no, I've never seen anything like this before. The finish looks nice, almost completely devoid of scratches (which is something I hate about most high gloss paint), but I have my suspicions that it's actually paint.

I had to unplug it though so I could hook the Crystal Acoustics TX-SUB12 back up; I need to finish the review on that. I also have another sub sitting here waiting to be reviewed, so it might be a little while until I get back to the Supersonic, but I wanted to give a quick update. So far I would say it's worth what I paid for it, but I'll reserve final judgement until I've had the opportunity to push it a bit. More to come...
joatmon3 likes this.

post #20 of 39 Old 06-18-2012, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Jim,

Do you have a picture?

As to the Pinnacle sub finish - It isn't just that protective plastic removable clear film that's on many gloss type finishes right? The Crystal Acoustic sub I borrowed had that film on the top of it as well.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #21 of 39 Old 06-19-2012, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As to the Pinnacle sub finish - It isn't just that protective plastic removable clear film that's on many gloss type finishes right? The Crystal Acoustic sub I borrowed had that film on the top of it as well.

I know exactly what you're referring too -- because the Crystal Acoustics and XTZ subs were protected by that film -- but this is something completely different.

If you scroll down to the bottom of the Supersonics webpage you'll see a picture of the back. There's a border around the entire edge that's about .5". That's actually the back of the wrap which completely encompasses the entire cabinet (save for the back panel). If you slide a flat blade screw driver under it the lip will bend up. It's subtle, so if you don't look closely at the picture you might miss it. I did initially.

The material is fairly rigid, so I haven't tried prying too much, but it's somewhat pliable. When inspected closely it appears as though the color is impregnated into the material, so I don't think it's painted.

post #22 of 39 Old 07-08-2012, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm putting the finishing touches on the Crystal Acoustics review, which I'm essentially done with, so I had time to hook up the Supersonic again.

Most of what I've done is listen to CD's unfortunately, because my TV croaked just recently. While I did have a TV I found the Supersonic to be a very nice sub indeed. It turns out that the bass is deep and rich, with really good articulation. It's definitely worth the $550 I paid; it makes watching TV -- or, in my case right now, listening to music -- very enjoyable. I'm liking it.

I'm probably going to sell it though, because I simply have too many subwoofers right now. On top of the ones I own myself I have 3 others waiting for review, and the potential of 3 more coming in the next few weeks. If you're interested in the Supersonic PM me.
joatmon3 likes this.

post #23 of 39 Old 08-06-2012, 08:25 AM

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but I just noticed that Woot has listed this Pinnacle Supersonic for sale again ($554 until 8/9).

Since you seem to be one of the few people who has heard this sub, Jim, I'd be interested in in your thoughts on this sub as compared to other popular mid-range subs in the same price range (Outlaw, Hsu VTF-2 MK4, Epik Legend, etc.)? If someone is in the market for one of these, would this be a good deal to jump on?
post #24 of 39 Old 08-06-2012, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanebo View Post

Since you seem to be one of the few people who has heard this sub, Jim, I'd be interested in in your thoughts on this sub as compared to other popular mid-range subs in the same price range (Outlaw, Hsu VTF-2 MK4, Epik Legend, etc.)? If someone is in the market for one of these, would this be a good deal to jump on?

Unfortunately I have no first hand experience with any of the subs you mentioned, so I can't really compare them directly. What I can say is for $550 I think the SuperSonic is worth it.

As far as subwoofers go it is quite small, but it feels very solid so it has a lot of the right stuff. The sound is good too, with the bass being smooth and clean. It didn't exhibit any significant boominess or weak spots either; the output was linear. I wouldn't try crossing it over much higher then 100Hz though, because it starts to run out of steam around there. Drivers appear to be nothing special -- certainly not what you would expect to find in a sub that retails for $2000 -- but they aren't bad either (you wouldn't be paying that price anyway).

I included a few pictures, and a graph of it's close mic response. For someone looking at a small acoustic suspension sub I would consider the SuperSonic worth checking out.

joatmon3 and Bombelman like this.

post #25 of 39 Old 08-06-2012, 01:29 PM

As always, thanks for the helpful advice!
post #26 of 39 Old 08-06-2012, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanebo View Post

As always, thanks for the helpful advice!

You're very welcome. So you picking one up then? wink.gif

post #27 of 39 Old 08-08-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

You're very welcome. So you picking one up then? wink.gif

Probably not. I really need two subs for my space, and I'm afraid that I won't be able to get a matching one by the time I'm able to afford a second sub ... Seriously considered it, though.
post #28 of 39 Old 05-28-2013, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

It's baaaaack. If you want a SuperSonic w00t has them on sale again until 5/31.

post #29 of 39 Old 05-28-2013, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 79
That driver looks a lot like the PA-120/PA-150 one. Seems like a lot of these companies use similar looking ones lol. Doesn't mean much... Just saying. Carry on lol

Panny 65st60 / Denon X1000 / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
post #30 of 39 Old 05-29-2013, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1553
Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post

That driver looks a lot like the PA-120/PA-150 one. Seems like a lot of these companies use similar looking ones lol. Doesn't mean much... Just saying. Carry on lol
The number of companies that make their own drivers can be counted on the fingers of one hand. All the rest source them from an almost equally small number of OEM driver manufacturers.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page