Multiple budget subs vs. one decent one - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 06-07-2012, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, I've read about the benefits of running 2 or more subs in a setup (mostly music at this point) and would like to go in that direction. I've also read how one decent sub (say a svs or hsu) would be better than dual budget subs (anything in the $300 budget thread).

The issue I have is that I live in Hawaii. The shipping cost from the continental US to Hawaii is exorbitant. The quoted shipping costs for something like the pb-12 nsd and vtf-3 was around $250. The cost for any one of the subs in the $500-700 range would therefore cost me about $700-1000 shipped. I have received price quotes from some of the usual suspects, svs, hsu, ed, outlaw and it is universally high.

My alternative is to buy smaller budget subs, particularly where there is a free shipping option through sites like amazon, new egg, etc. For example, a dual energy 10.3 setup on sale would cost me $400 (perhaps a little more since newegg may tag on some additional costs). At this price point, I could conceivable get 4 or these subs for the price of one svs or hsu sub, not that I necessarily want to.

DIY was also a consideration, but I have ruled that out for now.

Since I figure this will invariably come up, my primary use if music (95% and I listen to everything) and HT (5%). The room this would all be going in to is small, 16x10x10, and it opens up via doorways to a kitchen and the rest of the house. The floor is wood over an open space. I have def tech towers up front driven by an old marantz receiver (preamp for fronts) and acurus power amp. The center and surrounds are def techs driven off the marantz.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-08-2012, 07:58 AM

In your situation I would definitely get one better sub. Then you can listen and decide for yourself whether you'd like to get another one some time down the road when money allows.

There is a much closer question when you are considering two subs in the 500-1000 range versus one sub in the 1500-2000 range. In that situation I think there is better value in multiple subs.
post #3 of 13 Old 06-08-2012, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Its kinda which you prefer 2 hamburgers or 1 steak.
post #4 of 13 Old 06-08-2012, 09:40 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by beetlesnack View Post

In your situation I would definitely get one better sub. Then you can listen and decide for yourself whether you'd like to get another one some time down the road when money allows.
There is a much closer question when you are considering two subs in the 500-1000 range versus one sub in the 1500-2000 range. In that situation I think there is better value in multiple subs.

I agree with this. You'll probably be happier in the long run as the lower priced subs have a much larger variance in sound quality and output. The main problem for you seems to be shipping, though it would be nice to live in Hawaii biggrin.gif

I know companies like Outlaw sometimes offer free shipping, but I don't know if that would apply outside of the continental US. I think their LFM Plus or EX would fit your need nicely when on sale. I think I've seen the plus at 499 and the ex at 599...assuming you could actually get the free shipping.

Here is a link to the plus model:
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/lfm1plus.html

Due to your budget, you may be stuck with going with options from Amazon which offer free shipping:

May want to look at BIC models:
PL200 (This is only one of them)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001W3FXAQ/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_g23_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1GP520QK8JGDE0QR7MEJ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Or

Klipsch from Newegg when they go on sale for 299 and have free shipping (seems that is the case now):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780078&Tpk=rw-12d

I haven't heard the PL200, but I have owned dual rw-12ds. I think they do great with music. The only place IMO where they come up short is on very low bass with movies where they like to run the LFE channel hot. You'll get a bit of port chuffing in that scenario. The shipping can cause problems at times as you may get a damaged grill or a dent in the corner, but Newegg will usually work with you to make it right with a new unit, discount, or sending out a new grill.

And if you haven't checked it out already.... This thread about < $300 subs isn't a bad place to look either.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1364182/list-of-budget-subwoofers-300-and-less

Good luck with your choice.

resolution good....
post #5 of 13 Old 06-08-2012, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I would usually say go for the two less expensive subs.....but with all the info you included like shipping robbery.. Go with one for now and we can probably get a decent sound out of it with a little help here and there...

KG
post #6 of 13 Old 06-08-2012, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Something like a VTF3 will be much better than two smaller 10" subs. When I got my VTF3 I compared it to my STF2, there is no question, it is far more powerful, and would undoubtedly be more powerful than two. I would go for a VTF3.
post #7 of 13 Old 06-08-2012, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
With 95% music the OP may better off going with a set-up like Earl Geddes. 3 Energy S10.3 would be pretty impressive.

Here is a link to the Geddes approach:

http://mehlau.net/audio/multisub_geddes/

There are other sources of information about the Geddes approach.
post #8 of 13 Old 06-08-2012, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech View Post

Its kinda which you prefer 2 hamburgers or 1 steak.

LoL!!!

Do the two hamburgers get cheese, and what size pattie or can I have two patties in each with extra ketchup, mayo and lettuce ??

On the steak, is that a 6oz or 12oz and do I get two sides along with it?

tongue.gif. if that's the case I had better tasting burgers than I do stakes cool.gif

\m/ Hook'em Horns!

==========
Work for a Cause, Not for Applause. Live Life to Express, Not to Impress.
Don’t Strive to make your Presence Noticed,
Just make your Absence Felt. -Unknown
post #9 of 13 Old 06-08-2012, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post

LoL!!!
Do the two hamburgers get cheese, and what size pattie or can I have two patties in each with extra ketchup, mayo and lettuce ??
On the steak, is that a 6oz or 12oz and do I get two sides along with it?
tongue.gif. if that's the case I had better tasting burgers than I do stakes cool.gif

Filet mignon and all the trimmings I think would top burgers.
Or another way if you're a burgermiester 1 Beck's Prime loaded versus 2 McDonalds Big Mac's.
post #10 of 13 Old 06-08-2012, 05:31 PM

Too easy. 1 Bill's Burger > 4 Big Mac
post #11 of 13 Old 06-08-2012, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
This thread just got me hungry. Heading out to http://mightyfineburgers.com/. biggrin.gif
Then afterwards checking out prometheus cool.gif

\m/ Hook'em Horns!

==========
Work for a Cause, Not for Applause. Live Life to Express, Not to Impress.
Don’t Strive to make your Presence Noticed,
Just make your Absence Felt. -Unknown
post #12 of 13 Old 06-08-2012, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses.
I thought I had it figured out with the general consensus, but spyboy threw a nice little wrench in there and reminded me why I considered dual subs in the first place.
Gonna have to read up more about the geddes approach. His recommendations of running the mains as large/full-range is interesting.
post #13 of 13 Old 06-08-2012, 10:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 744
Amazon has the NHT sealed subs available with Prime shipping. Those could be a nice option for you since you are primarily interested in music listening.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page