About to pull the trigger on one of these subs... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 06-08-2012, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have decided to replace my old 90's Yamaha SW305 subs (running two) with some updated technology and higher performance (these are ones with the two 8" drivers/front ported). They have served me well over the years, but tend to distort a bit on heavier demand and puke out the ports. I listen to 80% music (everything from Sinatra to Soundgarden) using a two channel set-up with a decently powered HK3490 receiver and JBL L890's. I have read reviews and opinions and am close to buying either twin Outlaw M8's (down driver/down port), twin HSU STF-1's (down driver/rear port) or twin Lava LSP10's (front driver/front port). I have a limited budget and very limited space. All are around the same $$ shipped (for two). Would the Outlaw or HSU keep up with the Lava even with a smaller 8" driver or would that be made up with the difference in driver/port design? I have heard good things about both. As stated above, I am used to the front driver/front port design but seem to have hot & cold bass spots in the room. By the way, my room size is 18'x22' with a 10' ceiling and tile floor (very ambient). Any other suggestions? Thanks! smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-08-2012, 03:25 PM

That's a 4000 cu. ft. room, quite large. Your best bet is to get as good of a sub as you can right now then save up for an identical second one. You didn't specifically mention a $ figure, but I would stay away from 8 inch woofers, they just won't have the oomph in that big of a room, even with 2 of them.

There's a budget subwoofer thread by Jim Wilson you might want to look through. Personally I'm looking at a 2nd SVS PC-12NSD, they have some PB-12NSD which is sonically identical, just a box vs. cylinder, in their outlet for $629, which is a killer price for that kind of performance. It is ported, and generally speaking for music it is said that sealed is better (I'm not so sure about that, a good sub is a good sub, people, please don't flame me!) and I am very happy my my ported sub. The advantage of the ported is more output, which you will sorely need for that large of a room.

Look around and let us know what you find that interests you.
post #3 of 17 Old 06-08-2012, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip. I will check it out. Ironically, I ran across that SVS deal that you mentioned. Sounds like a great price. The ported model (PB12-NSD) is far too big for the floorspace I have. The sealed model (SB12-NSD) is quite a bit smaller but am not sure that I would be satisfied with it. By specs, it may not dip as low as I would like it. Even though I am 80% music, I still enjoy those lows at movie time. Maybe this SVS is the exception to "the rule"? confused.gif
post #4 of 17 Old 06-08-2012, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeechTom View Post

That's a 4000 cu. ft. room, quite large. Your best bet is to get as good of a sub as you can right now then save up for an identical second one. You didn't specifically mention a $ figure, but I would stay away from 8 inch woofers, they just won't have the oomph in that big of a room, even with 2 of them.

+1

For a 4000 CF room just pretend 8" subwoofers don't exist. Unfortunately, tile is not your friend either.

You're on the right track thinking 2 subs is the way to go, but the units you're considering are going to get lost in that much space. I very seriously doubt you would end up enjoying them, regardless of which pair you got.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #5 of 17 Old 06-08-2012, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Since its a 2 channel system, check out Rythmik subs, the smaller (single 12 inch woofers) models are not SPL monster compared to HT oriented subs, but since your not going to use it for HT spl levels, it should suffice for 2 channel Audio
post #6 of 17 Old 06-08-2012, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTubie View Post

The sealed model (SB12-NSD) is quite a bit smaller but am not sure that I would be satisfied with it. By specs, it may not dip as low as I would like it. Even though I am 80% music, I still enjoy those lows at movie time. Maybe this SVS is the exception to "the rule"? confused.gif

I'm confused too. 2 8 inch subs that don't get much below 30hz but you're concerned that the SVS SB12 which is flat to 22hz and possible lower in room doesn't go low enough: confused.gif

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #7 of 17 Old 06-08-2012, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Well, my bottom line is more about a smaller, higher performing sub due to space limitations. My max depth cannot be over 17 inches. That is the reason for inquiring about the 8" units (they have the smaller boxes and positive reviews). However, I can loosen up the budget a bit for the right ones. I have looked into the sealed subs (SVS & Emotiva) with larger 10"-12" drivers and more compact design, but still like those deeper lows for those home theater nights. It would be great to find a great alternative to both sides of the spectrum. I should have mentioned my space constraints with more detail. Ah, the sacrifices we must make!
smile.gif
post #8 of 17 Old 06-09-2012, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Along with the suggestions already given, another one you might want to look into is the Rumba 12. It seems to fit your criteria.

post #9 of 17 Old 06-09-2012, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 94
how about the PC12-NSD? 16" around. good output. sounds great on music as well.

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #10 of 17 Old 06-09-2012, 07:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Also look at the JL F112 it is one of the most musical subs and has more sound than it should for the size.

Jason
Note: Any posts are of my personal opinions and not to reflect upon any business.

Jason@programmergeek.com

908 578-6466

post #11 of 17 Old 06-10-2012, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

The Rumba 12 looks to be built like a tank (which is good) and is small enough for my space. However, I have not been able to find much that has been written about it. Kind of a vauge website with no stock on hand. Would like to know more about these intriguing subs. Thanks in advance for any additional info! smile.gif
post #12 of 17 Old 06-10-2012, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by programmergeek View Post

Also look at the JL F112 it is one of the most musical subs and has more sound than it should for the size.
I am sure that these are wonderful subs and very musical. $3100 (new) is a little out of my price range.
post #13 of 17 Old 06-10-2012, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The Rumba 12 looks to be built like a tank (which is good) and is small enough for my space. However, I have not been able to find much that has been written about it. Kind of a vauge website with no stock on hand. Would like to know more about these intriguing subs. Thanks in advance for any additional info! smile.gif
I should clarify my previous post, the website is not vauge and provides plenty of info. Just have not found much written about these awesome appearing subs. The only drawback that I can see at this point is the lack of grill or screen on the front of the unit. Thank you for the link! smile.gif
post #14 of 17 Old 06-10-2012, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They're out of stock because he sold all the ones he had on hand. More should be available very soon. You can give Murrel -- the owner -- a call and he would be able to explain better.

There is a review here on AVS that might help. Being a small company they haven't gotten a lot of exposure though. Once people start buying these things and can see for themselves the word will probably get out. Trust me on that one... wink.gif

post #15 of 17 Old 06-10-2012, 09:10 AM

Liked: 14
Rumba's will be back in stock early this week!

Murrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

They're out of stock because he sold all the ones he had on hand. More should be available very soon. You can give Murrel -- the owner -- a call and he would be able to explain better.
There is a review here on AVS that might help. Being a small company they haven't gotten a lot of exposure though. Once people start buying these things and can see for themselves the word will probably get out. Trust me on that one... wink.gif

Murrel J Gray

post #16 of 17 Old 06-16-2012, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

Ended up buying a pair of Energy S10.3 subs. Lots of performance for a low price of $398 for the pair shipped. Very impressed with movies and music and gets the thumbs up from the wife because they don't take up very much space. I am in heaven! Thanks for all of your suggestions. smile.gif
post #17 of 17 Old 06-16-2012, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Glad to hear you're enjoying the S10.3s. They really are a good value for the money (when on sale for ~$200)! smile.gif
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page