Dayton Sub-1200 Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-08-2012, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I and a friend of mine have been researching subs for a couple weeks at work. Looking for a budget sub. The trail led us to the Bic F-12. We read and read. Then the Dayton Sub-1200 dropped into our lap from a post. We researched. Not much info on it. Then it dropped to $99 and we had a coupon for $5 off at Parts-Express. I put my order in at 3PM yesterday, total $108.95 shipped, and had the sub on my doorstep at 10AM this morning. (Sub shipped from Cincinnati and I live in Kentucky, still, super quick shipping). Unboxing revealed a stylish, nice looking sub. It was thick, well made construction, and generally looked good. I moved the sub quickly into its spot and hooked up the high level inputs from my HTIB receiver (Cheapo Philips) for now. I was in a hurry and had to leave for work in an hour so I tossed on some quick movies. WOW. The best movie was Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. I heard a rattle and thought it was port chuff, Then I started walking around the room and as I was just starting to think it was my old single pane crappy windows I heard my wife yell from the bathroom as she was getting ready for work to come there. The windows in the bathroom were also rattling.
I have this setup near the corner of my 12x17 living room. Will update as it breaks in and I upgrade the rest of my system. Just wanted to get some word out there on this sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-08-2012, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 355
I'm glad it worked out for you.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #3 of 10 Old 06-11-2012, 02:07 AM

Liked: 12
I thought I'd jump in with this, as well, after having a weekend to try the sub-1200 out (ordered it the same day as deboardfam).

To start; a general rundown on my setup.

Receiver: Denon AVR-891
Fronts: Polk Monitor 50
Center: Polk CS1
Rears: Klipsch Synergy B2
Sub: Dayton Audio Sub 1200

Wiring is 12 AWG stranded copper, max length run ~ 25 ft. Room size is 10x13, so it's on the small side of things. Crossover/LFE was set to 100 HZ on the Denon, with sub crossover left wide open.

Audyssey was run after setting things up, only to find my coax cable was bad (brand new, center conductor dead). Replaced with several RCA wires. Ran the setup again, sub worked, but sounded quiet, so the gain was upped to 5. Started listening to music, mostly alternative bands (Model Engine, Poor Old Lu, Yngwie). Very good, balanced responses.

Then I fired up the first few minutes of Lethal Weapon 4 (first movie I could grab that I knew of having explosions) not too bad, but it still felt weak. In went Star Wars Ep. 4. Deathstar was..eh. And then I hit a scene of Millenium Falcon cruising by, and the couch was shaking...at 3 AM.

The sub seemed really timid at first, until especially bassy spots hit. It holds music well, and definitely accents the kick drum more vs. no sub.

My previous two subs: Polk PSW505 and Klipsch Promedia 5.1 dual 8" unit with replacement plate amp. The Polk was always very, very subtle, and didn't seem punchy enough, but it would resonate nicely. Never really felt like it was going to really hit hard, beat my face off, or otherwise felt very active. The Klipsch just wasn't big enough for the room size, although it seemed better than the Polk.

Sub-1200 shakes the house way more than the Polk, with the gain sitting at 4. Anything beyond that is going to anger the neighbors. No sign of port chuff, and I have medium-high carpet. Drywall walls.

I haven't broken the sub in, aside from watching a few movies over the weekend. For the price I have zero complaints, and the shipping also was fast (had it in about 20 hours post ordering) with economy shipping. Perhaps the BIC I was considering would have been louder/better, but for half the price, the Sub-1200 is not half the sub. Yes, it's budget..but it works.

As for cabinet shape, the rounded vertical edges are nice. Box feels way more solid than the Polk, with less resonance/vibration. The speaker grille reminds me of how guitar amp and PA cabinet grilles are designed and attached. I have no problems with the velcro or the ring/fabric design as such. In a household with young children or pets, I can see how it may be problematic. I did not open the sub up to look inside, but it's at least on par mass-wise as the Polk, but just feels more solid. I had opened up the Polk at one point to do a slight cleaning/repair, and it just seemed very flexible.

Overall, I'm a happy person with the purchase. Time will tell about reliability, although no sign of the plate amp getting warm, or warm/hot air passing out of the bottom port, so this at least bodes well. The Polk would get decently warm just sitting at on (something the Sub-1200 does not do, even after leaving it on overnight). The Klipsch..well...its original plate amp was not reliable in the least, and was hot after hard use or very warm after sitting. Generally Bash amps make me run away due to poor design in regards to overheating (my opinion after having repaired a couple). Again, it's not the be-all of subs, but is a solid upgrade from a Polk PSW505, and for less than half the price.

One thing that did grab my attention in a negative way: auto-on function. It flat-out did not work for me, and stayed off, regardless of signal level to the sub. My answer to that issue, and to save the switch on the back: socket switch. I just leave the sub switch on, and turn it off at the socket, effectively unplugging it. Auto-on would be nice, but it isn't a requirement, and even finding a replacement socket switch is a $3 fix...not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Verbose reply over.
post #4 of 10 Old 06-11-2012, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

"UnexplodedCow"? eek.gif I don't even want to know where you got that one from... tongue.gif

Thanks for your review. The SUB-1200 gets mentioned frequently when people are looking for a low-dollar sub, so it's nice to see people are taking the time to write up their thoughts on it.

post #5 of 10 Old 06-11-2012, 02:30 PM

thanks for starting this thread. So far nice value sub if your not looking to spend big money. I was going to order the BIC 12 and but my economical side pulled the trigger on the DA Sub 1200.
If it didn't work out then it would go back but I'm keeping this bad boy cuz it sounds deep and low and shakes my small bonus room to the core.

My current set up consists of ancient energy classic htib which came with a 8' ES sub, sounds good still but the bass was just ok for it's size, tight and hits hard but no BOOM sadly. I'm looking into purchasing NHT Superzeros to replace the energys.

Aesthetics wise, the Daytons' rounded corners are a nice touch and it's quite heavy which speaks of a quality build. I also like the fact the when you take off the speaker grill (which is attached by velcro tabs inbedded into the speaker front) there are no grill holes to see when facing forward. It's just a big black box that delivers if your watching movies or listening to music.

So far, I'm very happy about this purchase and looking forward to breaking the Dayton's in. Also got a credit for the price difference I paid when I ordered it on 6/4/12 for $129.00.
For the special price of $99 this sub is A STEAL OF A DEAL! Can't go wrong if your thinking about a budget 2nd sub in a multisub configuration.

The one small negative which has been mentioned is the auto-on feature which needs to be a little more sensitive when picking up an audio signal. Just have to turn up the knob a little bit to get it to work but not a big deal.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-11-2012, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

After a solid weekend of listening to movies, music, etc the sub is still rocking. I am using high level inputs and did not notice the same issue with the auto on/off but have seen similar complaints with others using LFE inputs. I can play my audio just barely even audible and my sub will kick on.
Sub runs cool, sounds good and I run ALL of my audio through my surround (TV, etc). I am happy.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-12-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

"UnexplodedCow"? eek.gif I don't even want to know where you got that one from... tongue.gif

Got it from the side of a Superman comic box in Atlanta back in 2003...it just seemed perfect at the time, and I still think so.

Welcome for the review. Mind you, I come from a world of public address setups, pro guitar rigs, and having been a roadie in the past. My tastes aren't quite the norm, and I'm easily pleased by a decent sounding setup for a reasonable price.

I am by no means one who spends thousands of dollars for speakers alone, but I have enjoyed listening to 30,000 watts at concerts. Home audio is relatively new to me in terms of components, but I can at least troubleshoot the electronics most times.

Hopefully the review will help some with their decision. I am still very happy with mine, as I'm sure the neighbors aren't.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-12-2012, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexplodedCow View Post

Got it from the side of a Superman comic box in Atlanta back in 2003...it just seemed perfect at the time, and I still think so.

The avatar completes the image. I guess you'll never have to worry about anyone else on a forum already having that screen name.

post #9 of 10 Old 10-09-2012, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Update: Months later and the sub still pleases. I ran a monoprice mono cable to it and have no issues with the on/off. Sub works great and I am still impressed i got it for $105 shippped and at my door in less than 24 hours from ordering. Still greatly pleased.
I am running this off of an Onkyo HT-R590 now instead of my old HTIB amp. Loving it.
post #10 of 10 Old 10-10-2012, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 42
hello guys. i just purchased this sub yesterday. how you guys like this sub? any body share there experiences?

also, what kind of connection i need to buy for this sub to connect to my denon 1612 receiver? is this will be fine? but there is 2 iputs under LINE IN, L and R. which one to connect going to my receiver?http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023603&p_id=6305&seq=1&format=2

Energy RC 70 fronts
Energy RC LCR center
Energy RC LCR surrounds
Rythmik LV12R and Mirage Omni 12 subwoofers
Denon 2112CI
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page