Velodyne HGS15BG random quiet popping - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-09-2012, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought the sub about 6 months ago on craigslist and I didn't notice this being an issue then. Over the past 2 or 3 months, the pops have been getting more and more frequent.

Basically, I can only really hear it when the room is quiet but it is very annoying during a quiet part of a movie. The popping doesn't stop even after disconnecting the RCA inputs, it only stops when turning the sub off completely.

I have seen a lot of posts by people hearing loud pops, but these are not loud and seem to have no correlation between switching inputs or powering on/off the receiver. The pops are completely sporadic much like popping popcorn. Turning up and down the volume doesn't change anything about the popping.

I have also switched the sub to Always On instead of Auto with no change.

Does anyone know how I can start narrowing down what this might be? I looked at the amp but didn't see anything abnormal but I'm not sure exactly what to look for either.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2012, 11:04 AM

Liked: 11
Caps in the amp are bad. My 18 had the same problem. Call Velo. They'll probably have you pull the amp out and send it to them for a fix. Best guess is $150-$200 for the repair. You've got a great sub, so it's worth the fix.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Contact our Product support team Mon-Fri between 7am and 4:30pm PDT at 408-465-2851.

When in comes to audio there are seldom right and wrong answers.  The opinions of "experts" are just that, and should be used as a suggestion only.  Remember at the end of the day it is your money, your system, and you will need to listen to it.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments.

Since it sounds like the capacitors are bad, is there any way to order replacement capacitors of the same rating either through velodyne or otherwise? I am wondering if this is something that can be done on my own. How can I find out exactly what capacitors are needed and where they are available?
Old 06-12-2012, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Do you feel comfortable desoldering the existing capacitor(s) and then soldering in new ones. You can start by removing the plate amp. After you remove the screws, you may need to pry the plate amp loose (if it has been glued down for a better air seal). If the size is still marked on the capacitor(s), you can merely order a new one (new ones)(from Parts Express, monoprice.com or get one at Radio Shack.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I am willing to give that a try. I looked at the Amp once before and recall seeing capacitors all over the place. I remember seeing a section of maybe 6 large ones in a row, would these be the likely ones causing the issue? If I don't see any of them disfigured or bulging, am I best not trying to do anything?

I will take another look at it tonight and let you know.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

I took the amp out again and looked for anything that might have been disfigured or any bulging capacitors, and I didn't see anything.

I took a few pictures:
http://tinypic.com/r/2zyv43l/6
http://tinypic.com/r/eref0o/6
http://tinypic.com/r/30nhwmc/6
http://tinypic.com/r/ww0ttt/6
http://tinypic.com/r/34fe251/6

Does anything look out of the ordinary? I wouldn't know which capacitors to start replacing since they seem to look OK, but I'm also new to sub amps.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Is there anything else I should be looking for when looking at the amp?
Old 06-16-2012, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

To do a serious job on your amp, you need the manufacturer's service manual for your model, a volt/ohm meter, and the soldering equipment. Professional repair places also need it. A subwoofer repair can cost $200-300+ with a 30-90 day warranty on the repair. I had a subwoofer amp that began popping intermittently after 6 years and slowly got worse with more frequent pops. I chose to replace the amp with a Parts Express 500w BASH amp which required some modification to the subwoofer enclosure. The most straightforward solution (not available in my situation) was to replace the amp with the exact same amp from the manufacturer.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the heads up. It sounds like since nothing is very apparently wrong, that I might be getting myself into a big mess by trying to repair it.

My options at this point are:

1. to send it in and have it repaired for $285+$25 shipping = $310 with 1 year warranty on the repair
  2. Buy something like the 500W Dayton plate amp off Parts express = $260 with free shipping

Honestly, I'm leaning towards Option 1, but my main concern is just that something will be repaired but that there will be other components that are on their way out since it's a 10+ year old sub that will get overlooked and start failing within a couple years.

As for option 2, considering that the stock amp provides almost double the output wattage, would I expect to see a significat loss of power if I went with a 500W replacement plate amp, assuming that I'd be able to fit it into the enclosure?
Old 06-18-2012, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/subwoofers/velodyne-hgs-15x

I do not think that you can touch that quality of an amplifier except to go with the repair that Velodyne is offering. It is a servo amp. It may have proprietary built-in equalization to flatten the response curve that you will not be able to duplicate with alternative plate amps.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips. I sent it in today, so hopefully all goes well.