Energy s10.3 subwoofer on sale - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 06-09-2012, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I thought I would share this with everyone. Newegg has the energy s10.3 subwoofer on sale today till 6/11/12 for $199 shipped! Im debating if I should pull the trigger on this one. I was planning to get the hsu stf-2 but at this price for the energy subwoofer I just might
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-11-2012, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 358
There's no indication of your room size or usage, so it's hard to give a definitive answer, but the price is certainly compelling.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #3 of 16 Old 06-11-2012, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

There's no indication of your room size or usage, so it's hard to give a definitive answer, but the price is certainly compelling.

Just ordered the Energy s10.3 i couldnt resist the price.
post #4 of 16 Old 06-11-2012, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Congrats! Be sure to let us know what you think of it.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #5 of 16 Old 06-11-2012, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Congrats! Be sure to let us know what you think of it.

will do
post #6 of 16 Old 06-13-2012, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

Just got the Energy s10.3 subwoofer today. My first impressions were "Wow". This thing is ginormous. I put in some music with bass. This thing really hits low. It sound tight and clean. Im very impressed with it. However, i dont know how to use and of the knobs in the back like the crossover or phase knob on the back of it. Does anyone own a energy s10.3 that can help me out?

post #7 of 16 Old 06-13-2012, 12:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
If you have an AVR with your sub/speaker crossover set, either turn the subs x-over all the way up, or put it in bypass mode (B). Leave the phase at 0.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 16 Old 06-13-2012, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

If you have an AVR with your sub/speaker crossover set, either turn the subs x-over all the way up, or put it in bypass mode (B). Leave the phase at 0.

Whats a AVR? audio video receiver? My speakers(audioengine 5+ and subwoofer are both powered so i am not using a receiver. There connected to each other with rca to the audioengine D1 to my computer.
post #9 of 16 Old 06-13-2012, 01:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Okay, set the crossover to where your speakers roll off. You can go by what the specs say is -3db point, or you can play test tones until the volume drops off.

post #10 of 16 Old 06-13-2012, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Okay, set the crossover to where your speakers roll off. You can go by what the specs say is -3db point, or you can play test tones until the volume drops off.

im sorry. Im new to this and i dont know what you mean by roll off. Whats the -3db point?
post #11 of 16 Old 06-13-2012, 01:15 AM
AVS Special Member

The low end of your speakers bass response. I just looked at your speakers specs, they state 50hz, so if that's true you would turn the subs crossover all the way down to 50. If you find some frequency specific test tones you can find the reality of this.

post #12 of 16 Old 06-13-2012, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The low end of your speakers bass response. I just looked at your speakers specs, they state 50hz, so if that's true you would turn the subs crossover all the way down to 50. If you find some frequency specific test tones you can find the reality of this.

Yes thats correct. Ok so i have the crossover to 50. Where should i have the phase at? 0?
post #13 of 16 Old 06-13-2012, 01:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes. You would need to measure the system response to see if there is an out of phase suck out. You could also play test tones to check for that. You would then have to slowly adjust the phase and re check.

post #14 of 16 Old 06-13-2012, 01:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yes. You would need to measure the system response to see if there is an out of phase suck out. You could also play test tones to check for that. You would then have to slowly adjust the phase and re check.

Correct me if im wrong. So basically meaning their woofers move in and out in synch with each other? how can i play test tones?
post #15 of 16 Old 06-13-2012, 06:50 PM

Liked: 10
I bought the Energy 10.3 from NewEgg on Monday, installed it yesterday, and have been enjoying it last night and tonight. I read some NewEgg reviews about it crapping out so I uncharacteristically opted to pay the $32 for three years of NewEgg replacement warranty.

My setup is modest and occupies a 13'x13' parlor with high ceilings:
  • BenQ W1200
  • 106" Da-lite screen
  • Denon AVR-1612
  • Cerwin Vega 6" bookshelf speakers on Sanus 30" stands
  • Energy 10.3 sub
  • HTPC
  • Comcast HD box

I fired up Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows, which is a bad movie but has plenty of explosions and other sound effects. I'm delighted with how everything sounds - all the audio stuff apart from the little Cerwin Vega fronts are newly purchased.

Kind of a meandering post, but my point is: if you're in the market for an affordable sub, I for one think the Energy 10.3 does the job quite well.

I'd also recommend that any beginners consider getting something like the Denon AVR with Audyssey to tune up their whole setup. It doesn't cost much and the results are impressive for budget gear.
post #16 of 16 Old 06-13-2012, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozekitty View Post

I bought the Energy 10.3 from NewEgg on Monday, installed it yesterday, and have been enjoying it last night and tonight. I read some NewEgg reviews about it crapping out so I uncharacteristically opted to pay the $32 for three years of NewEgg replacement warranty.
My setup is modest and occupies a 13'x13' parlor with high ceilings:
  • BenQ W1200
  • 106" Da-lite screen
  • Denon AVR-1612
  • Cerwin Vega 6" bookshelf speakers on Sanus 30" stands
  • Energy 10.3 sub
  • HTPC
  • Comcast HD box
I fired up Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows, which is a bad movie but has plenty of explosions and other sound effects. I'm delighted with how everything sounds - all the audio stuff apart from the little Cerwin Vega fronts are newly purchased.
Kind of a meandering post, but my point is: if you're in the market for an affordable sub, I for one think the Energy 10.3 does the job quite well.
I'd also recommend that any beginners consider getting something like the Denon AVR with Audyssey to tune up their whole setup. It doesn't cost much and the results are impressive for budget gear.

Congrats! Good idea on the warranty. I didn't get it but maybe I should of. You think I can still get it? I purchase my sub on Monday as well. Or maybe i can get it through square trade. $30 for 3 years. Ive been trying to break mine in slowly as the manual says. Then ill be blasting
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page