Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Guys,

I have the following -

Yamaha rx 2010
Klipsch RF 52 front speakers

I can build a 9.2 but I chose to keep it simple for now.

I however want to shop for a subwoofer. I have two in mind - but I am not certain which one will be best choice?

They are Polk Audio PSW Series PSW505 12" Powered Subwoofer 'VS' Klipsch Reference RW-12d 12" Powered Subwoofer.

I know with the klipsch I will have same series stuff but i heard its a discontinued model and so is PSW505.

Please advice guys.

Thanks a lot
R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-11-2012, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 409
I haven't had the opportunity to hear either, but from what I've read -- including posts from owners of both -- I'd probably go for the Klipsch myself. Seems to have a bit more detail. More features too.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #3 of 7 Old 06-11-2012, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

I haven't had the opportunity to hear either, but from what I've read -- including posts from owners of both -- I'd probably go for the Klipsch myself. Seems to have a bit more detail. More features too.

Do you think I should worry about it being discontinued and still costs like 299$ (after 200$ instant discount) ?

Thanks
R
post #4 of 7 Old 06-11-2012, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitcool View Post

Do you think I should worry about it being discontinued and still costs like 299$ (after 200$ instant discount) ?

It's actually been "discontinued" for quite some time, it just never seems to know it. smile.gif Same with the Polk PSW505; that's been listed as "vintage" (Polk-speak for discontinued) for longer then the RW-12d, yet that's still readily available too.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #5 of 7 Old 06-11-2012, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

It's actually been "discontinued" for quite some time, it just never seems to know it. smile.gif Same with the Polk PSW505; that's been listed as "vintage" (Polk-speak for discontinued) for longer then the RW-12d, yet that's still readily available too.

Thanks i was more worried if there was a reason it was discontinued.

R
post #6 of 7 Old 06-11-2012, 11:55 AM

I was in your shoes when I first started this rather expensive hobby. I only had experience with htib stuff which served it's purpose. After a while Polk Audio series caught my attention and I got Monitor 70's and a CS2 for the mains. Leaving the sub selection to the end. I wanted to read and learn more about the subs. The same questions popped up all the time "budget, placement, room dimensions". Against all the warnings I bought the PSW505 from Newegg for $179.99. Almost every advice I had was to wait and save for a better sub within my means. I thought these people were nuts to not to love this 12" monster. Hard to admit but they were right. I should have waited for a little longer, save some more and get a real sub. Even my uneducated ears can tell the difference between a real sub and Polk, Klipsch budget offerings. Long story short I unloaded the Polk on craigslist saved some more and bought an Outlaw LFM-1ex on sale $599.99. I know it is not the biggest, hardest hitting sub out there. It is the best sub I could afford. Please do yourself a favor and relate your story to mine and many out here. In the long run it will save you many and time. If you are like me you will probably learn it hard ways:)
post #7 of 7 Old 06-11-2012, 12:09 PM

Liked: 13
Can't comment on the Polk sub but I have two RW-12D's and am more than happy with them. There are better subs out there but for what I want it does a great job. As for worry of it being discontinued, the grill broke during shipping and the control unit on one of them went out and I had 0 issues with Klipsch sending out replacement parts.

Because great sound fills the room, shakes the house, breaks hearts, stirs souls, and always will
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page