Help finding a replacement for my Klipsch RSW-15 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-11-2012, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have had a Klipsch RSW-15 in a dedicated home theater room for almost 10 years. I have a 7.1 setup with a Denon 3803 and Klipsch Reference 7 series speakers.

The RSW-15 died on me after my 2 year old crossed wires or something playing behind the subwoofer. It made a loud pop and wouldn’t power on. Replaced the amp already and it now powers on and plays sound but the sound is really "dirty". As I have already spent around $350 trying to get it working again I am about to give up and just get a new subwoofer.
I have a 12X20 carpeted room. I only use it for home theater and I plan to update the Denon soon as well to one of the newer AVRs.

I was always happy with the RSW-15 for my purposes. It was very clean and I could feel the booms and explosions in the movies as you would expect.

I keep seeing the Klipsch Reference RW-12d come on sale at newegg and I am tempted to pull the trigger. I am worried I will be disappointed though going from a dual 15 to a single 12.
Any thoughts on a good sub to replace the RSW-15? I expect I can spend around $500 without feeling too guilty about giving up on trying to fix the current sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-11-2012, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 66
The rw-12 is nothing compared to the rsw-15. They aren't even in the same league. The RSW-15 was originally $2995 when it first came out. That being said, in the $500 price range, im sure one of the offerings by hsu, outlaw, or epik, will get you what you're looking for. Have you thought about Diy? 500 goes a long ways in that dept.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-12-2012, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

I was a bit concerned as well that the RW-12 would just be a disappointment. The RSW-15 was a beast and I kept it only at about 1/4 volume so was hoping maybe a lesser sub would still be OK.

I haven’t really thought about DIY. It is an interesting thought though and I may need to spend some time in that forum. In reality I already have a pretty solid cabinet still. I have been trying to figure out if I somehow blew the sub itself and that is what is causing the distorted sound. If I went down the DIY road I could start by ordering a new subwoofer and swapping out my current Klipsch to see if that fixes my issue.

I guess I can post on the DIY forum and see if anyone has any suggestions for that, unless someone here has a good thought on a good 15 sub replacement.

For HSU, Outlaw, or Epik are there any specific ones I should be looking at? I haven’t looked at subwoofers since I bought my last one 10 years ago.
post #4 of 11 Old 06-12-2012, 10:25 PM
Advanced Member

You could probably get 300-400 for that klipsch sub in it's current state. I'd add that to your $500 budget and start looking at epik empires, chase home theater 18.2. Hsu vtf-15h, chase vs-18.1. All of those would be better than the klipsch ever was in the $800-1200 price range.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-12-2012, 10:27 PM
Advanced Member

You could probably also build a pair of lilmike cinema f20 and buy an amp in the $800 range too. If size or waf isn't a factor, those have a lot of potential.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-15-2012, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 36
grab a 15" sub and replace the damage sub. the rsw15 has one active sub and a pr. in a 4 cu. box. with 650w amp hp at 20hz.
so my sugestion are dayton titanic ~200.00
jbl w15gti (my favorite) 350
lmsr 400
post #7 of 11 Old 06-16-2012, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your replies. I posted on the Klipsch forum as well to see if anyone could help me troubleshoot and the feedback so far is that they think it is still the Amp causing the issues.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-18-2012, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanroz View Post

I keep seeing the Klipsch Reference RW-12d come on sale at newegg and I am tempted to pull the trigger. I am worried I will be disappointed though going from a dual 15 to a single 12.

The RSW-15 is actually a 15in driver with a 15in passive radiator, so not really a "dual". I have the RSW-10 which has the same config but 10in driver and of course lesser amp. I have since moved on to Dual SVS in my HT and relegated the RSW-10 to my zone 2 for music only.

As others have said, the RW-12d would be a considerable downgrade from the original RSWs...
post #9 of 11 Old 06-20-2012, 10:41 AM

Liked: 16
Have you tried calling Klipsch to get an estimate on repairing it? I'm sure they would still service is for a fee outside of warranty and it may not be as bad as you might think. I have an RSW-10, but would have LOVED the 15 at the time (i got a real steal). I think its a great sub, and wouldn't give up all hope on it.

post #10 of 11 Old 06-20-2012, 10:52 AM

Liked: 13
If you can sell it for parts and make some money and then add to your budget, you might be able to get a better sub. I know there are a few RT-12D's on the Klipsch forum right now if you want to stay with Klipsch.

Because great sound fills the room, shakes the house, breaks hearts, stirs souls, and always will
post #11 of 11 Old 06-20-2012, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Well I am working with the company that replaced my amp back in February. Unfortunately I procrastinated too long (work got in the way) and spent time troubleshooting the issue and am now past their 90 day warranty. I am hoping they will make an exception and do something to help me out. We will see… so for the haven’t responded.

The company I am working with was who Klipsch sent me to when I told them that I thought my amp was blown. They did a swap with me as my old one didn't power up anymore. I do feel fairly confident now that my problem is the amp itself though based on troubleshooting the last week or so. I have confirmed it is not the source, the wires, or the subwoofer by trying replacements for all 3.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Klipsch , Klipsch Icon V Vb 15 Bookshelf Speaker , Speaker Systems , Klipsch Rw 12d 12 Subwoofer Each , Velodyne Eq Max 15 15 Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page