BIC Drivers unveiled - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-14-2012, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
For those who may be interested and have not otherwise seen a comparison of the similarly priced, similarly sized and similarly performing BIC F12 and BIC V1220 drivers, I got bored and decied to pull the drivers from both cabinets and take some pictures. From the outside, the F12 looks much better, however, what awaits behind the shiny cone? See for yourself:

The F12 driver is on the left in all three photos.

The silver metallic cone and large surround makes the F12 seem far superior
DSCN2091.jpg
From the side, the surround still appears daunting on the F12, but the magnet looks more impressive on the V1220 driver, also, hard to see in the photos, the spider on the V1220 looks more impressive
DSCN2089.jpg
Finally, we truly see the size difference in the magnets with the V1220 magent being substantially larger than the F12
DSCN2099.jpg

Take these for what you will, I was just having a bit of fun before bed. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-15-2012, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
The smaller surround on the V1220 also means it has more cone area, which means if xmax is the same it will have more output. The larger magnet means a stronger motor, so the response shouldn't be as peaky either (plus the v1220 has a larger enclosure).
post #3 of 4 Old 06-15-2012, 09:45 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnitro07 View Post

For those who may be interested and have not otherwise seen a comparison of the similarly priced, similarly sized and similarly performing BIC F12 and BIC V1220 drivers, I got bored and decied to pull the drivers from both cabinets and take some pictures. From the outside, the F12 looks much better, however, what awaits behind the shiny cone? See for yourself:
The F12 driver is on the left in all three photos.
The silver metallic cone and large surround makes the F12 seem far superior
From the side, the surround still appears daunting on the F12, but the magnet looks more impressive on the V1220 driver, also, hard to see in the photos, the spider on the V1220 looks more impressive. Finally, we truly see the size difference in the magnets with the V1220 magent being substantially larger than the F12
Take these for what you will, I was just having a bit of fun before bed. Thanks.
Thank you for posting this very informative comparison. Just reinforces my take that looks do not equate to sound. The metalic cone of the F12 has never impressed me. Things like that are usually only gimmics to suck in the gullible. Same with the copper looking drivers of the BIC Acoustec line. Give me the DV series any day since they don't try to fool people with looks. They only give the best performance/cost ratio.

BTW, in your opinion, which sub sounds better?
post #4 of 4 Old 06-15-2012, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 13
I like the sound of the F12 myself. It sounds louder and the v1220 sounds hollow when I turn it up, or atleast what I call hollow.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page