Tracking down Powered Subwoofer Amp for existing Subwoofer. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-21-2012, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been trying for about 2 years going through various ebay/kijiji and numerous other sources to try and find a simple thing i would have thought to be easy to pick up somewhere. Specially from home audio repair depots and electronic service repair or sale departments that speciallize in it.

Seems the only thing being sold today are crossovers and amps and crap for cars, the moment you venture into Home Audio solutions, everyone seems to scratch their heads and flip the bird.

While i have managed to track down some 3 Way crossovers on ebay and rebuild some of the older speaker units that still in my opinion produce the best sound and drive it with clarity the furthest distance, getting a subwoofer amp to match up properly has been a royal nightmare.

About 2 years ago I managed to swing myself a 8 ohm 18" Cerwin Vega Junior Earthquake. Model is a 189-JE Far as what is recommended for this and from the imax theater system it was previous attached to, A minimum RMS of 1000watts with a peak of 1500 amp is recommended for it.

Having tested this subwoofer, I can guarantee this sucker spits out a mighty fine set of frequencies. But unfortuneately the test was only able to be done by bridging a temporary stereo amp and obviously wasn't powerful enough to properly drive it to it's full potential and accuracy.

The Junior Earthquake was originally intended to be powered externally, however due to the where this will be placed, and the box being unfortunately mishandled and destroyed, I've made a new box with the sole purpose to be used in a mini theater. Obviously though i need to find a 8ohm self contained and powered Subwoofer amp. It must use the the standard subwoofer "rca/coax" input. And idealy frequency range selection and phase options. If it has the automatic suspend/standby as well auto active switch, that would be splendid too. Obviously it's own volume control is a necessity. Obviously an amp this large needs to be properly cooled, following the designs that provide passive cooling that uses the subs own movement of air to help "cool" helps, a large enough heatsink would be preferred.

It's just a single sub, plugged into standard 110-120v. If I recall right this is just a single voice coil subwoofer.

Any suggestions, model/make/brand recommendations, links to retributable places to compare and contrast anything anyone could recommend would be GREATLY appreciated, While this isn't the first place i've request assistance, I do hope someone is able to help.

Thank you for any time you are able to provide helping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-21-2012, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
Why are you not looking on Parts Express website? They have all kinds/watts of sub plate amps. Digital PASS amps and Dayton Audio amps up to 1000w. And stand alone sub amps.
http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?srchExt=CAT&srchCat=505
post #3 of 4 Old 06-21-2012, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thank for the quick responce and a link to the site, with all the googling, it's tough as hell to find "real" websites, specially ones you can trust, and i don't think i ever saw this one listed.

Most of the ones i do find don't ship to canada. Apparently these guys will from what i can see.

Unfortunately the highest rated Subwoofer amp listed there is 1000watts @ 4 ohm which is 500 watts 8 ohm. This is going to insufficient for the subwoofer. I would probably considering something at the 750 watt 8 ohm range, but would prefer 1000 watt @ 8 ohm as the sub is designed for.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-809

For referrence to a "near identical" modern woofer available from cerwin that ISN'T self powered.... has listed specs... 700watt/1400/2800

http://www.cerwinvega.com/pro-audio/passive-subwoofer/cvp-118.html

The newer Subwoofers are much lighter than this older one. The extra reinforcement on this 189-JE is utterly amazing not to mention weight.

Having done the math on what it would cost to get that new subwoofer from cerwin vega including the shipping and then buying a stand alone amp to match it.... the cost of the solution would be approximately in the $4000 range. There should be an amp that is similare to that of the 500watt model listed on that website you suggested, somewhere that could hopefully be 750 or 1000 watt.
post #4 of 4 Old 06-24-2012, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
I have 15", 4u subs. I use the PASS 500w amp. Previously to that I was using a Crown K2 stereo amp, which will output 800w>4u; and if two 4u subs are run parallel on one side of the amp, then its 1200w to each. The other channel can be turned off.
But that said, as good as the K2 amp was, the 500w PASS digital amp put out even higher spl.

Either of those amps would certainly work for you.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page