Want more bass in my HT - suggestions? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-23-2012, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have a M&K MX-150 sub in my HT. It's claimed to handle rooms up to 3000 cu ft - my HT is ~2700. Just the same, I'm thinking more bass would be a good thing wink.gif

Since I can't buy another MX-150, would it be OK to match it with a 2nd sub from another manufacturer or is it better to have matching subs from the same manufacturer?

As for placement, my ideal location would be to put the 2nd sub somewhere on the stage behind the screen (see pic below), but that's where my MX-150 is now and I've heard it's better to place a 2nd sub somewhere else. Another location would be on the riser, to the side of the 2nd row of seats but, since I didn't fill the riser with sand, I worry that it could be a problem - it's stuffed with pink insulation and has 2 layers of 3/4" OSB with GG between. The last location is on the floor between the stage and riser, but if I put it there, I won't want it to be too big, since it would be so visible and that being the case, it may not be worth doing at all.

Pics of my HT is below - note the two superchunk bass traps in the rear corners (OC703)

Oh, I have M&K LCR-850s across the front and 4 Triad Silver Surrounds.

Black Cat Theater (Now going BIG!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2012, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Budget?
Old 06-23-2012, 09:24 PM

Liked: 16
i would match it with the current brand. Saves time and hassel
Old 06-24-2012, 03:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 603
If the next sub you want to get is going to be equidistant from the listening positions, I would get a sub with roughly the same performance as the M&K that you have now. That means roughly the same output and low frequency extension. If you have the ability to EQ two subs, like in Audyssey MultiEQ 32XT, that gives you a lot more freedom. Although it's not usually recommended to run two different subs, it can be done if equalization and placement keep the subs' differing strengths and weaknesses in mind. Tell us what kind of bass do you want more of: deep bass, mid or upper bass, or just more bass output throughout. There are a few different factors that should determine what sub you should get, where it should be placed, and how it should be calibrated. In fact, depending on your budget, it may be worth taking out the M&K sub and just do an entirely new bass setup.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As for budget, I could put $1000 into it, a little more if on the edge of a great deal. I might be able to sell my MX-150 for $500 (was $1400 when I bought it), so that gives $1500 for two new subs if going that way...

As for what kind if bass I'm looking for, I'm really not sure I've ever heard great bass, so it's hard to say. Can we work backwards? - given the size of my room and acoustical treatments, what would *you* do? FWIW, I'm only interested in movies (not music).

My amp, the Marantz SR9200, pre-dates Audyssey. Someday I'll upgrade it, but I'm pretty happy with it still and so hope to make due with it a while longer.

As for the next sub being equidistant from the listening positions, I guess that's the other thing I could use your advice on. As mentioned in the OP, I have 3 choices:
  1. both subs behind the front screen, on a sand-filled stage
  2. one sub behind the screen and the other to the side of the 2nd row of seats, on a insulation-filled riser
  3. one sub behind the screen and the other on the carpet-covered concrete floor halfway between the stage and riser

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Black Cat Theater (Now going BIG!)
Old 06-25-2012, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 603
First, I think its worth selling the M&K sub at this point, it would be too hard to mix with a $1k sub. However, I think expecting 500 for it is optimistic.

Second, to determine the best place for a sub, you will want a SPL meter. Place the sub in the available spots, and use an SPL meter in your listening position to see which placement gets you the best response. This procedure is a bit more involved if you decide to get two subs, but the idea will be the same.

There are some excellent subs in the $1k area. Some to check out are the Epik Empire, Hsu VTF15h, and Rythmik FV15. A good dual sub system that might be somewhat over your budget would be two Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Pluses or Hsu VTF2 mk4s. If you go the dual sub route, you might contact the companies and see if you can get a discount for buying doubles.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 845
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morph1c View Post

Thoughts?
Thanks!

I'll see you at BIGmouth's get together on Tuesday. I can't wait to talk shop! I'm pretty opinionated when it comes to LFE!
Old 07-13-2012, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

First, I think its worth selling the M&K sub at this point, it would be too hard to mix with a $1k sub. However, I think expecting 500 for it is optimistic.
Second, to determine the best place for a sub, you will want a SPL meter. Place the sub in the available spots, and use an SPL meter in your listening position to see which placement gets you the best response. This procedure is a bit more involved if you decide to get two subs, but the idea will be the same.
There are some excellent subs in the $1k area. Some to check out are the Epik Empire, Hsu VTF15h, and Rythmik FV15. A good dual sub system that might be somewhat over your budget would be two Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Pluses or Hsu VTF2 mk4s. If you go the dual sub route, you might contact the companies and see if you can get a discount for buying doubles.

I have a Rythmik FV15 and it fills my listening area with more than enough bass. But it is above your budget. To me it was worth the extra money in a big way.

Jeff