New Subwoofer Advice - Size Matters... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-24-2012, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking for a good sub to replace my Definitive Powerfield 15. I have full range speakers so I don't use my sub for music. I only use it for LFE while watching movies.

I'm looking to replace my Definitive mainly as a space saver. So, I would like something in the 13"x13"x13" range (or smaller preferably) and in the $500 or lower range. I know size does matter when it comes to bass, so I know going too small will hurt. I would like a powered sub as well.

The room size is about 14' x 13'.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-25-2012, 01:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
At it's current sale price, the Emotiva X-Ref 10 might be an excellent fit. Since you are coming from a 15" sub, I'm tempted to suggest the SVS SB12-NSD, but that runs afoul of your requirements by a little bit. smile.gif
post #3 of 10 Old 06-25-2012, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thank's for the suggestion. I was looking around and saw the HSU STF-1 and that looked interesting as well. As for the dimensions, the real dimension that matters most is the width so while the STF-1 is 17"h and 15"d the 11"w is great. How would the STF-1 perform?

The Emotiva's size is perfect as well.
post #4 of 10 Old 06-25-2012, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Well, the STF-1 is a very capable 8" sub. I've spent some time with it. It offers good output and tonality. It's usable extension is limited to the upper 20Hz range, but that's still quite good for an 8" sub. It's certainly not going to knock down your 14'x13' room, but if you have reasonably modest expectations it would be fine. If you want higher output, and especially if you benefit from decent room gain, the Emotiva would likely be the way to go.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-25-2012, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
None of the subs you're looking at will do much if anything below 30hz, even in your small room. They all have 30hz high pass filters. I would go with the following linked sub. The HPF doesnt kick in until about 20hz, and you will pick up solid room gain.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-760

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 10 Old 06-25-2012, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 358
If you have full range speakers now then it's probably safe to assume you'll need a fairly potent sub to fill in the lowest octaves. The SB12 might do the trick, but the X-Ref 10 and STF-1 really aren't going to help you much. There are other tiny subs that have good output of course -- like the Sunfire HRS12 for example -- but that's going to be way more then $500.

Your size and budget restrictions run counter to what you're trying to achieve I'm afraid, so it's probably going to be very difficult to find something that will suit your needs. Have you considered used?

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #7 of 10 Old 06-25-2012, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

If you have full range speakers now then it's probably safe to assume you'll need a fairly potent sub to fill in the lowest octaves. The SB12 might do the trick, but the X-Ref 10 and STF-1 really aren't going to help you much. There are other tiny subs that have good output of course -- like the Sunfire HRS12 for example -- but that's going to be way more then $500.
Your size and budget restrictions run counter to what you're trying to achieve I'm afraid, so it's probably going to be very difficult to find something that will suit your needs. Have you considered used?

The SB12 would be ideal based on his size requirement. I think an Epik Legend would be the best choice based on his budget, but it's a bit bigger then desired.

post #8 of 10 Old 06-25-2012, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

The SB12 would be ideal based on his size requirement. I think an Epik Legend would be the best choice based on his budget, but it's a bit bigger then desired.

The Legend is 13" wide with the grilles removed, but I'm not sure exactly how much breathing room this would leave for the side firing drivers. Also, it's nearer the $600 end once shipping is factored in. frown.gif There aren't many ideal options for him, unfortunately.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-26-2012, 07:11 AM

What's wrong with the Parts Express kit Jay suggested? $400 shipped seems like a reasonable way to go, unless the budget can be upped a little bit. Plus you get the excitement of building your own sub!
post #10 of 10 Old 06-26-2012, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nulfire View Post

What's wrong with the Parts Express kit Jay suggested? $400 shipped seems like a reasonable way to go, unless the budget can be upped a little bit. Plus you get the excitement of building your own sub!

The only thing wrong with it is that is doesn't fit the size requirement. The width of the location may not support anything much over 13".
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page