xlr wiring question for subwoofer - please help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-25-2012, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm wiring my basement for a future home theater. I have not purchased any of the equiptment yet. My basement is not home theater friendly and I have a 50 foot run to wire my (future) receiver to (future) subwoofer. I ran 12 gauge speaker wires but since all these wires are going behind the wall I ALSO am going to run a 50 foot RCA cable AND a 50 foot XLR cable - just for the one subwoofer. (I'm all about overkill.) I am worried about the signal over the distance and any possible interference, so at least I will have options! I won't be able to run the wires afterwards.

My question is about the XLR cable. Which end will go INTO the subwoofer? The MALE end or the FEMALE end? Since I don't own a receiver or subwoofer I do not know - I only have one correct choice before the wall goes up!

Thank you for any help with this complete noob question!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-25-2012, 02:26 PM

Liked: 11
If I'm not mistaken... For XLR cables, female end connects to the pre-pro/receiver and Male end connects to subs... I believe this is standard...

But just to make sure... just call any receiver / sub company and double check with them...

BTW, For overkill sakes... I would run 2 XLR cables just in the scenario that you decide to have 2 subs. I would recommend looking at sub placements to have an idea where you may place them.

Fronts: B&W CM8
Center: B&W CM Center
Surround: B&W CM1
JL Audio F112
Integra DHC-80.3
Emotiva XPA-5
OPPO 93
HTPC
post #3 of 8 Old 06-25-2012, 02:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
1) how does the op even know the sub will have a xlr connection?

2) there are no current avr's available with xlr pre-outs anyway... so unless he is planning on going the pre-pro/amp route, he's wasting his time, as he'd have to convert the balanced to an unbalanced connection anyway...

as important, but likely not considered.... how does he know that the spot he has picked for the sub is even going to "work"? it's one thing to pre-wire for speakers... pre-wiring for subs, otoh, is a bit of a crapshoot...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #4 of 8 Old 06-25-2012, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 159
No such thing as overkill. I prewired my room with five sub locations, both 12AWG x2speaker wire and RCA. You can always just run quad shield RG6 cable and don't terminate it until you get your sub. You can then terminate it with the proper connector.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-26-2012, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

1) how does the op even know the sub will have a xlr connection?
2) there are no current avr's available with xlr pre-outs anyway... so unless he is planning on going the pre-pro/amp route, he's wasting his time, as he'd have to convert the balanced to an unbalanced connection anyway...
as important, but likely not considered.... how does he know that the spot he has picked for the sub is even going to "work"? it's one thing to pre-wire for speakers... pre-wiring for subs, otoh, is a bit of a crapshoot...

+1
post #6 of 8 Old 06-26-2012, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

This is excellent advice. I spoke with an Onkyo representative and she said they don't make receivers with XLR outputs. I am future-proofing anyway. I'm a complete noob and was planning on using a receiver, but since this is all going behind a wall I will still run the XLR cable. My ht room dimensions are pretty limited (22 by 10.5 ft) so I think the sub will work best in the corner I'm running the RCA, XLR, AND 12 gauge just for the future sub. I'm going to use a low volt face plate and run the RCA and XLR cables with about 6.5 ft of slack to move the sub around as needed. The Onkyo rep said their subs don't even have XLR inputs and suggested that it might vary depending on the sub! This Is very confusing for me. I never heard about an XLR cable before but read that a 50 ft run could be problem for an RCA cable (I have AC electrical wires everywhere and have done my best to isolate the low volt.) I appreciate all the replies. My question is what XLR inputs do subwoofers even have? Is there a standard male or female input? Even if I ran the cable in the wrong direction, could I just buy adapters? By the way, the XLR cable I bought has an arrow that goes in the direction from male TO female. Thanks!
post #7 of 8 Old 06-26-2012, 01:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

if i was you (and i'm not), i'd take one very big step back, take a deep breath, and do some research and learning...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #8 of 8 Old 06-27-2012, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

I just spoke with Paradigm. The tech representative said their subs with XLR inputs have female inputs and to run the cable female TO male. This was opposite of an arrow on the cable, but Monoprice rep said the arrow will not effect the signal the cable is bi-directional. I asked him what the arrow signified and he didn't know. Thanks for the advice.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page