Is this right to spend $2k on sub(s) but $500 for 7 speakers? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Is this right to spend $2k on sub(s) but $500 for 7 speakers?
Yes, nothing wrong with that- 75% spent on sub(s) and 25% on speakers 10 21.28%
No, you are crazy. 7 14.89%
I would spread money evenly: 50% spent for sub(s) and 50% for speakers. 11 23.40%
I would spend 40% on sub(s) and 60% on speakers. 7 14.89%
I would spend 30% on sub(s) and 70% on speakers. 12 25.53%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 39 Old 06-28-2012, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
It sounds like, at least initially, Cowboy considered output level and quality in subs, but in the other speakers he only considered quality. And the need for quality was related more to music than home theater.

Maybe this has shifted some more recently.

I worry that the desired level will be higher as he uses better equipment like the Cap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 06-28-2012, 08:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 428
That is the question, the Cap is a much better sub than the Jamo are speakers. However, if what Archaea says is correct about them, and the OP does not want reference levels ever, they could blend very well at 10 dBs below reference. Again, you will be not utilizing the Cap but it still sounds great either way. The Cap will be better at lower or higher volumes than the other $1000 subs. There has to be other $700 or even $1000 speakers set out there. If the OP sticks to $1000 for 5 speakers he can find $200 speakers. How much are the eD cinema 6 speakers? BTW, all rooms are different and whether it is small or large won't matter, My 2100 cubic foot room is harder to fill than my friends 10000 cubic foot room. Those damn treatments. When it comes to speakers at the seats anyways.
post #33 of 39 Old 06-28-2012, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

If one wanted subwoofer extension, without reference level SPL...i.e. 105dB @ 10Hz, (which I feel is what Cowboy was trying to get), a couple questions:

• What's a good sub that provides that extension without the output (thus saving money)?

• Is it pointless to ask for extension without the SPL, because you won't hear any 10Hz @ only 105dB?
    • Or does one boost the lowest octave, running "hot," so that while the other higher LFE frequencies top out at 105dB if playing at -10dBFS, you get 110dB to 115dB at the lowest octave. Having one's cake and eating it too, so to speak?
post #34 of 39 Old 06-28-2012, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I know someone with a setup that has 5 of the Dayton B652s and an Outlaw LFM1-EX. It sounds great. Those Daytons are only $30 a pair. It plays very well. He got them after hearing the Daytons on my system in our game room.
post #35 of 39 Old 06-28-2012, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

I can certainly understand the allure of the bottom 2 octaves. What I don't understand is your seeming devaluation of the other 8. confused.gif
Admittedly, I haven't experienced the Jamo speaker set. Nonetheless, I predict the Captivator will so overwhelm them that, in short order, you'll wish you had more speaker. smile.gif
Either that... or you totally overbought on the sub. eek.gif
Archaea did say: "The Captivator is bored to tears at those levels." He also said: "You'd just have a lot of extra capability in the subwoofer."
Craig
Not that I am devaluating. I think good 7.0 speakers can be found within the $500 range for movie watching (The Jamo is a good example) or at least to my ear anyway. I mean I can go to someone theater and tell if a good or bad sub being played without seeing it, but it is a lot harder for me to tell if the other 5.0 or 7.0 speakers sounds better from one another. I know I would never drop a grand on a pair of B&W using it for movie. I rather spend $2k for a great sub that I know I can tell the difference and it is there to stay for a long long time without me asking those what if questions. I have been following those Captivator and Submersive thread/shoot out and I believe most if not all the folks who attended the GTG at Carp's house speak very highly about his eD Cinema speakers package (~$1700ish) that he is using along with his dual Submersives (~5k). If my math is right, he is about 65% spent on subs and 35% on his 5.0 speakers and he is even thinking about upgrading his dual Submersives to a pair of Captivator 2 seal which cost even more. Now I understand that his eD speakers are a whole lot better than the $500 speakers package. The bottom line is I have $2k to upgrade and do not see myself using it for speakers and keep my HSU VTF2. I rather keep my speakers which sound good to my ear and get the bad boy sub. Upon futher measurement, my room is ~2700'^3 and I am just afraid the Captivator will tear it eek.gif
Thanks everyone who replies/votes so far.
post #36 of 39 Old 06-28-2012, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Those would be some pretty crappy speakers at $71 a piece. Why not start out with a stereo setup for now, add a center, then surrounds...
post #37 of 39 Old 11-28-2012, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I am wondering how this turned out?
post #38 of 39 Old 11-28-2012, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I sold my Hsu vtf2.3 and I ordered the Rythmik FV15hp last month (not quite $2k). I like how it sounds with my cheapo 7 Polk Audio monitors (3 Monitor 40 series II accross the front and 4 in walls for the surrounds). Thanks for checking.
post #39 of 39 Old 11-29-2012, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Cool... Glad you are enjoying it! I keep bumping into my surround side speakers in my narrow room, so I'm jealous of your in-walls.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page