Is this right to spend $2k on sub(s) but $500 for 7 speakers? - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Is this right to spend $2k on sub(s) but $500 for 7 speakers?
Yes, nothing wrong with that- 75% spent on sub(s) and 25% on speakers 10 21.28%
No, you are crazy. 7 14.89%
I would spread money evenly: 50% spent for sub(s) and 50% for speakers. 11 23.40%
I would spend 40% on sub(s) and 60% on speakers. 7 14.89%
I would spend 30% on sub(s) and 70% on speakers. 12 25.53%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 39 Old 06-26-2012, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Hi guys,
Is this right to spend $2k on sub(s) like Submersive, Captivator or a pair of HSU VTF15Hs, Rythmik FV12s, Outlaw LFM-1 EXs, SVS PB12s, Epik Empires, etc...but $500 for 7 speakers to be used in a dedicated hometheater (~3000'^3)? I am planning to drop $2k on a sub or pair of subs. Am I crazy? I know that an awesome sub or sub(s) make a huge difference in movie watching experience. What about the rest of the 7 speakers? Are there a lot of difference on using hi-end speakers that costs thousand of dollars/pair for only movie watching as compare to some cheap bookshelve $150/pair? Thanks for chiming in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 06-26-2012, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Unless you scored an awesome deal on some gently-used, quality speakers, $500 for 7 speakers seems pretty cheap. If you drive your system hard, you will likely find the speakers - particularly the front three - quickly running out of steam while your sub is (subs are) barely breaking a sweat.

IMO, you should invest more in the front three speakers. Consider something like the ChaseHT SHO-10s: Impressive-sounding and -performing speakers for $395/ea. They throw a huge soundstage and can be pushed hard without ever sounding strained.

So, basically, I'd start with three good speakers for the front, one good sub and four decent surrounds. And then I'd save up for a second sub (if necessary).

Just my 2¢... smile.gif
post #3 of 39 Old 06-26-2012, 10:06 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 619
No ratio. Buy a proper system that meets user needs and expectations.
Snowmanick likes this.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #4 of 39 Old 06-26-2012, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Eljay, the loudest I ever play is -10dbs below reference. Do you not think those cheap bookshelve pair, center, in wall surrounds (like polk audio Monitor series, Energy bookself) can handle? Audessey probably will set a 80-120hz crossover on them. Thanks.
post #5 of 39 Old 06-26-2012, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 468
I know that my older Paradigm Monitor 7v4s, when pushed to 10 or 8dB below reference, tended to start sounding a bit harsh, and they were a lot bigger and of better quality than cheap bookshelf speakers. So, while I don't know how well a set of seven speakers for $500 will sound when you crank them up loud - something I think would be likely to happen in a 3,000 cu.ft. room - I suspect they may not hold up well. But I could be wrong and they will sound wonderful, or the OP will never crank his system up so it'll never potentially be an issue.

Although 7 cheap speakers and $2K worth of sub(s) could work very well for someone, I would opt to go with better mains (for music and movies), a better center speaker (for movie dialogue), and better overall balance in my system.

As always, this is just my 2¢ and YMMV. smile.gif
post #6 of 39 Old 06-26-2012, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
The lowest I played my Energy bookshelves was -12db in MY room. Just get a system of speakers that fit your needs. I don't see a need for a "ratio" on how to spend

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #7 of 39 Old 06-26-2012, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 439
It could be worth it, depending on your speakers. If you got some Infinity Primus speakers on sale, you could still justify the cost of the subs, or some similar deal like that. If you have a larger room and you sit in the middle, you will need a lot of air displacement just to begin to hear the bass, but the higher frequencies don't have that problem.
post #8 of 39 Old 06-26-2012, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

It could be worth it, depending on your speakers. If you got some Infinity Primus speakers on sale, you could still justify the cost of the subs, or some similar deal like that. If you have a larger room and you sit in the middle, you will need a lot of air displacement just to begin to hear the bass, but the higher frequencies don't have that problem.
I wouldn't listen to anyone who likes dallas.... hahah jk

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #9 of 39 Old 06-26-2012, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'd buy in pieces with that budget. $2000 for a really good subwoofer(s), and $500 for just the front L/R's or center, and save up for the rest.
post #10 of 39 Old 06-26-2012, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 57
+1..

You can live without the surrounds, but never without a good sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopaddiction View Post

I'd buy in pieces with that budget. $2000 for a really good subwoofer(s), and $500 for just the front L/R's or center, and save up for the rest.
post #11 of 39 Old 06-26-2012, 07:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys View Post

Hi guys,
Is this right to spend $2k on sub(s) like Submersive, Captivator or a pair of HSU VTF15Hs, Rythmik FV12s, Outlaw LFM-1 EXs, SVS PB12s, Epik Empires, etc...but $500 for 7 speakers to be used in a dedicated hometheater (~3000'^3)? I am planning to drop $2k on a sub or pair of subs. Am I crazy? I know that an awesome sub or sub(s) make a huge difference in movie watching experience. What about the rest of the 7 speakers? Are there a lot of difference on using hi-end speakers that costs thousand of dollars/pair for only movie watching as compare to some cheap bookshelve $150/pair? Thanks for chiming in.

Please realize that this comes from a Packer Fan... advising a CowGirl Fan... eek.gifbiggrin.gif

There is no F'n way I would spend $2K on subs, and then only spend $500 for 7 speakers. There is no way the speakers will ever keep up with the subs. If all you want is BASS, I suppose over-balancing the system towards the subs would be OK, but that's not the right way to design a system..

I would liken it to installing a huge JumboTron in the stadium... and then fielding a team nobody can stand to watch. Good luck with that. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #12 of 39 Old 06-26-2012, 08:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:

Hi guys,
Is this right to spend $2k on sub(s) like Submersive, Captivator or a pair of HSU VTF15Hs, Rythmik FV12s, Outlaw LFM-1 EXs, SVS PB12s, Epik Empires, etc...but $500 for 7 speakers to be used in a dedicated hometheater (~3000'^3)?

Would it be correct to guess that this is your first major HT setup?

If so, then at least start with no more than 5.1 with some more allocation to the speakers, say at least 50/50. You'll end up with a setup you will really enjoy, and then you can have the pleasure of hearing it improve when you add a second sub and second set of surrounds later on. Or start with bookshelves in the front and move them to the back when you buy towers later on. But whatever you do, building up is part of the fun of it smile.gif You are like the kid wanting to have all his desserts for the week in one night wink.gif

post #13 of 39 Old 06-26-2012, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Craig,
I have lots of respect for you here and your Packers, but we are still America team smile.gif. Too bad we won't face your Packers this upcoming season as it has always been good games. Back to the subject, how about $1k on the VTF15H for 7 Polk Audio speakers costing $500ish? Remember, this system is only used for movie unless music is part of it. Does it make sense to use more expensive speakers ONLY for movies watching? I have watched a few clips of movies with B&W bookshelf speakers costing $1200 each at Magnolia and did not have a wow impresion with them as compare to those cheaper pair there. Perhaps i do not have a golden ear to tell the differences. Thanks all for chiming in and votes.
post #14 of 39 Old 06-26-2012, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Would it be correct to guess that this is your first major HT setup?
If so, then at least start with no more than 5.1 with some more allocation to the speakers, say at least 50/50. You'll end up with a setup you will really enjoy, and then you can have the pleasure of hearing it improve when you add a second sub and second set of surrounds later on. Or start with bookshelves in the front and move them to the back when you buy towers later on. But whatever you do, building up is part of the fun of it smile.gif You are like the kid wanting to have all his desserts for the week in one night wink.gif
Actually no. I used to own a much more expensive system more than a decade ago with Lexicon MC1 pre-amp, 7 channels Bryston Amp, Mirage OM6, OM-C2 center, 4 Energy Veritas surrounds, and a HSU TN1220HO sub + 500W amp (I really miss this sub). I bought a new home that the previous owner left all 4 in-wall polk audio speakers for surrounds and Polk Monitor series up front (not even sure what they are, M40 may be). Having own the HSU TN1220 sub which is no longer available, I know for sure that I want some thing as good or better than that as once a person hear some good sub, there is no turning back for a lesser sub. Not sure if a single VTF15H is as good as the TN1220. I guest Dr Hsu would know.
post #15 of 39 Old 06-26-2012, 10:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Well, then you didn't need to ask us. LOL You know whether or not your plan will work for you smile.gif

Check out: HSU TN1220HO +500W amp-How would you rank it?

post #16 of 39 Old 06-27-2012, 04:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 94
Grab that pb13-ultra in the svs outlet for $1599 and spend the rest on the speakers.

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #17 of 39 Old 06-27-2012, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^^ with shipping cost, it puts the pb13 ultra close to the single Captivator + EP4000 Behringer amp which is much much better according to Archea here and he was comparing a single Captivator with dual Pb13 ultras in his room. Thanks.
Cel, Thanks for the link.
post #18 of 39 Old 06-27-2012, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 105
IMO $1k to $2k is fine for you sub budget... I spent about $1k on 2 subs and $1k on 7 speakers........ Also you may want to look into speakers with horn loaded tweeters since its for HT movies. Check out Klipsch Reference series, BIC Acoustech Platinum series, Elemental Designs [C]inema series, and CHT PRO or SHO series.

Shawn
post #19 of 39 Old 06-27-2012, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 431
In my opinion that's absolutely about right to have the best preforming movie setup. For a music setup you might want to go more 50/50 money split.

I know of no better movie setup for the money than a pair of Jamo 5.0 speakers for $400 from vanns.com and a pair of $1000 range subwoofers, from the likes of HSU, SVS, Epik, Rythmik,etc.

I heard the Jamo set recently and loved them for well above the price even. They have over 100 reviews with a 98%. That tells you something. What heavy shipping product has a 98% score in the electronics realm? Find me another!
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/544012176/jamo-s606hcs3?s_c=site_search 3836409

The guy who recently purchased them from KC, avsforum member tatersly, auditioned them for me on a Onkyo SR-805 receiver in full range and they sounded great! He had an older 10" yamaha subwoofer and we just turned it off because it muddied the sound of the Jamo 8" drivers and the Yamaha didn't add an ounce ofvolume or other benefit in his room. A couple of $1000 subs will allow you to use a 80hz crossover and really have some fun, smooth LFE effects for movie watching.

I'd recommend the above combo without a moments hesitation, and I've heard pretty much all the $1,000 subs. HSU, Rythmik, Epik, SVS, CHT, Infinity, Jamo, Velodyne etc ,etc, etc. This would be a darn good movie watcher's combo at < $2500.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout

My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

post #20 of 39 Old 06-27-2012, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

If you buy something like the JTR Captivator, (which I wholly recommend) - $2500 isn't your overall budget. A $500 speaker package with a typical lower sensitivity rating will not keep up, so if still trying to remain reasonably on a budget figure on buying something with high sensitivity drivers like the Elemental Design Cinema Pro 8's or 12s --- at more like $400 a speaker. I do think the Jamo speaker package listed above and a couple $1000 subwoofers of your choice is a GREAT choice if your speaker budget is strict $2500.

and yes -- I did prefer a single JTR Captivator over two SVS PB13 ultras in my room when both were auditioned in my room within a couple days time back in 2011 follwing the KC subwoofer meet. (and so did carp, luke kamp, and counsil who auditioned them with me) We auditioned the powered JTR Captivator with 4000 watts, then a couple days later I bought a pair of SVS PB 13 ultras used from forum member counsil thinking how could I go wrong with the highly recommended flagship subwoofer pair from SVS. He was replacing his four PB13 Ultras with four Seaton Submersive HPs immediately after the 2011 meet. I was dissapointed to find I much preferred the sound and power of the single JTR Cap from the meet audition over the pair of SVS PB13s. The JTR got significantly louder too. Within a couple days I was sure I'd made the wrong decision. When I purchased the pair of Captivator pros I sold the SVS PB13's within about a month. I compared the pairs back and forth on multiple occassions during my overlap in ownership and there was absolutely no comparison. Don't get me wrong - the SVS remain excellent subs but they are just outclassed by the JTR's performance. The SVS double stacked in a corner could only hit about 115dB cleanly from my seating position, the JTR Captivator Pro non co-located - each placed about 1/3 distance from opposite front corners ( on each side of my projector screen) --- like shown in my signature picture --- the pair driven by a single EP4000 amp--- could hit 125dB cleanly from my seating position on the SAME material. These number grabbed with a radio shack spl meter on c weighting. That's a huge difference! HUGE. High quality, high excursion 18" drivers with more power, vs. high quality, high excursion 13" drivers with less power. 18"s win.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout

post #21 of 39 Old 06-27-2012, 06:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Craig,
I have lots of respect for you here and your Packers, but we are still America team smile.gif. Too bad we won't face your Packers this upcoming season as it has always been good games. Back to the subject, how about $1k on the VTF15H for 7 Polk Audio speakers costing $500ish? Remember, this system is only used for movie unless music is part of it. Does it make sense to use more expensive speakers ONLY for movies watching? I have watched a few clips of movies with B&W bookshelf speakers costing $1200 each at Magnolia and did not have a wow impresion with them as compare to those cheaper pair there. Perhaps i do not have a golden ear to tell the differences. Thanks all for chiming in and votes.
I have had systems that were "unbalanced" before, and the "limiting factor" ends up limiting the system. It comes down to that old saying, "A chain is only as strong as its' weakest link." If your speakers are the weak link, they'll limit the system. You'll never be able to take full advantage of the sub(s) because the speakers will hold the system back.

Take the evolution of my system for example: At one time, my system was comprised of Klipsch RB-75's and dual JL Audio F112's. The JL subs were the most musical, tuneful subs I had experienced to that point. The Klipsch speakers couldn't keep up. I replaced them with Atlantic Technology 8200e's, (THX U2 certified.) Now the balance of the system swung to the speakers. They could easily hit Reference Level, but the subs just didn't have the output to keep up. I replaced the subs with a pair of Seaton Submersives, and eventually upgraded them to HP's and added a 3rd SubM. Now the system balance swung back to the subs, and the speakers couldn't keep up. I upgraded the speakers to Triad Platinum LCR's, and now I finally have a system that is fully balanced, with speakers at the same level as the subs, and subs at the same level as the speakers.

From experience, I can say that it makes the most sense to spend your money on components of equal caliber. Spending a significantly larger portion of the budget in one area to the detriment of another area will only lead to continual dissatisfaction, at least IME.

Regarding "America's Team", you need to read this: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8254ee9c/article/survey-says-packers-not-cowboys-now-americas-team biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #22 of 39 Old 06-27-2012, 07:06 AM

Liked: 13
Many moons ago when I was first contemplating putting together a home theater the key learning from all the forum and web based resources out there was:

1) Invest in best fronts (left and right) and timbre matched center that you can afford.
2) A good set of fronts and center should last you AT LEAST 10 if not 20 + years.
3) The hardest working speaker in a 5.1 set up is the center (unless you watch a lot of silent movies with no dialogs).
4) Bass is an acquired taste and not for everyone but once you get a taste of it, it is very addictive.
5) Not everyone is made of money, so it takes time to build the perfect system and when its finally built, its time to upgrade again.
post #23 of 39 Old 06-27-2012, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

In my opinion that's absolutely about right to have the best preforming movie setup. For a music setup you might want to go more 50/50 money split.
I know of no better movie setup for the money than a pair of Jamo 5.0 speakers for $400 from vanns.com and a pair of $1000 range subwoofers, from the likes of HSU, SVS, Epik, Rythmik,etc.
I heard the Jamo set recently and loved them for well above the price even. They have over 100 reviews with a 98%. That tells you something. What heavy shipping product has a 98% score in the electronics realm? Find me another!
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/544012176/jamo-s606hcs3?s_c=site_search 3836409
Wow, good looking 5.0 speakers with great reviews for only $399. They are out of stock though.
post #24 of 39 Old 06-27-2012, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you buy something like the JTR Captivator, (which I wholly recommend) - $2500 isn't your overall budget. A $500 speaker package with a typical lower sensitivity rating will not keep up, so if still trying to remain reasonably on a budget figure on buying something with high sensitivity drivers like the Elemental Design Cinema Pro 8's or 12s --- at more like $400 a speaker. I do think the Jamo speaker package listed above and a couple $1000 subwoofers of your choice is a GREAT choice if your speaker budget is strict $2500.

How about the above Jamo 5.0 package (if available) and a single passive Captivator + Behringer EP4000 amp for less than $2500? Do you think the Jamo can keep up from reading Craig's comments above?
post #25 of 39 Old 06-27-2012, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How about the above Jamo 5.0 package if available plus a single passive Captivator+ Behringer EP4000amp for less than $2500? Do you think if the Jamo can keep up with the Captivator based on Craig's comments above? Thanks.

Edit: After reading your post again, I guest the Jamo with 89db sensitivity probably won't keep up with the Cap.
post #26 of 39 Old 06-27-2012, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

hmmmmm

Hard to know. We didn't push those jamo speakers to their limits by any means when I was over at tatersly's house. We listened at -15 and -10 type levels with the speakers full range and they sounded great. The Captivator is bored to tears at those levels. My Wharfedale Sapphire 89 towers are 89 dB sensitivity rating too and they play well at reference with a 80hz crossover, so perhaps you'd be alright after all. You'd likely need a nice receiver like the older and now quite cheap Onkyo SR805 or something equivalent to get good clean power to the speakers. It's hard to know at what point a speaker will start sounding 'harsh' or 'strained' until you've pushed it to that point. At the volumes we listened to the Jamos on I sensed no harshness. My Wharfedale Center channel does NOT make it to reference with an 80hz crossover without sounding a bit strained (no bad noises, but you can tell it's compressing the dynamics). I suspect you'd find something similar or a bit less capability with the Jamo being that the wharfedale are a more expensive speaker. Though at normal listening volume levels like -10 with the subs run 6-10db hot...the jamo captivator setup would be fantastic! You'd just have a lot of extra capability in the subwoofer.

So I don't quite know the answer to your question since I've not pushed the Jamo that high. I don't think the Jamo are world beaters, but I've never heard any speaker that can touch them for that price or significantly more. I also recently demoed a set of $2.000 5.1 speaker package that was highly reviewed by secrets of home theater in 2011, and I don't think they sounded better than the Jamos. Heck I paid $475 for my pair of towers at auction and I thought I got them cheap. Getting a whole 5.0 setup that sounds great for $400 shipped is borderline absurd. But the 98% review scores bear out a lot of people like them.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout

post #27 of 39 Old 06-27-2012, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^^ feeling so much better now. I have the Denon 3312 to drive my speakers and the loudest I listen in my room is about -10db below reference (may be -15db below with the Captivator in place) - so at the end with the xover about 80-100Hz, and at the level I listen to, the $500 speakers package (5.0 or 7.0) like the Jamo mentioned with the Captivator will be a solid choice and I truly believe that single Captivator will crush my room with tremendous output. Thanks Archaea. When I grow up, I just want to be like you smile.gif and I have not even met you in person yet:D.
post #28 of 39 Old 06-27-2012, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 94
Quote:

^^ with shipping cost, it puts the pb13 ultra close to the single Captivator + EP4000 Behringer amp which is much much better according to Archea here and he was comparing a single Captivator with dual Pb13 ultras in his room. Thanks.
Cel, Thanks for the link.

shipping is included on that

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #29 of 39 Old 06-27-2012, 08:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

^^ feeling so much better now. I have the Denon 3312 to drive my speakers and the loudest I listen in my room is about -10db below reference (may be -15db below with the Captivator in place) - so at the end with the xover about 80-100Hz, and at the level I listen to, the $500 speakers package (5.0 or 7.0) like the Jamo mentioned with the Captivator will be a solid choice and I truly believe that single Captivator will crush my room with tremendous output. Thanks Archaea. When I grow up, I just want to be like you smile.gif and I have not even met you in person yet:D.

I can certainly understand the allure of the bottom 2 octaves. What I don't understand is your seeming devaluation of the other 8. confused.gif

Admittedly, I haven't experienced the Jamo speaker set. Nonetheless, I predict the Captivator will so overwhelm them that, in short order, you'll wish you had more speaker. smile.gif

Either that... or you totally overbought on the sub. eek.gif

Archaea did say: "The Captivator is bored to tears at those levels." He also said: "You'd just have a lot of extra capability in the subwoofer."

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #30 of 39 Old 06-28-2012, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

craig john,

A couple notes...

cowboy has a small/medium sized room, 3000 cubic foot - that'll help ensure a less sensative speaker fills his space.

cowboy listens at -10 - the Jamos have already proven to sound great at that volume, in my recent experience, in a room much larger (say 4,500 cubic foot if I were to hazard a guess of tatersly's room size). Cowboy has a nice quality AVR to start with. cowboy with the jamo/captivator combo could easily run his single subwoofer 6-8dB hot (my typical preference) from the overall AVR volume of -10 and easily still have plenty of subwoofer headroom and clean sound.

When/if cowboy decides it's time to upgrade he pretty much already has the best available ported sub outside of DIY, so if he wants more sub power, add a second captivator and he's still top of his game and can even can use the same single EP4000 amp for two caps.

As you point out ---

cowboy will feel the jamo's are his limiting factor on SPL long before the sub as he starts to turn the volume up to reference level playback, but at the $400 price point. He can use them for a year and resell them on craigslist for a minor loss, or move them to a secondary house system, when/if he decides he wants more. They are a surprisingly good sounding set. During my audition, I kept thinking how in the world do they make and ship and markup and sell a set of five speakers that sound this good for $400. It still baffles me. If I had to guess I think Vanns is Jamo's attempt to enter into the US market. When I bought my two Jamo D7 subs and had the amp issues I was trying to find an authorized repair center. There is only one in the entirety of the US. It is vanns. Jamo is big overseas, but virtually unknown here in the states. I think they are trying to break in and so offering these speakers at what effectively must be essentially just their cost.

If I hadn't heard them I would cringe a bit at the cheap speaker recommendation, but I don't think you can think of these as $400 normal price speakers. I'd say consider them more in line with a typical $1000 5.0 set. I'd wager they sound pretty similar to my Wharfedales, and also to the Crystal Acoustic set I recently reviewed, and my brother's $2000 Klipsch 5.2 system he bought off newegg sounds no better. Again they aren't world beaters, but they are especially nice for the money. The bonus in this setup is if he buys midline subs and midline speakers, then he has all midline stuff, and if he should decide to upgrade he'd have to replace everything. In this setup he buys a top shelf subwoofer, virtually nothing better...(competing products tie or win by very small margins at this level among when comparing items like the Orbit Shifter, Submersive, Cap sealed, etc) so there won't be a desire to swap out subs and take a fairly significant hit in a year or two. In fact the caps have only been sold in about two instances that I know about, carp and buckamdman, and in both cases they have fetched close to new value. And if he decides to swap out the speakers at some point he does so at a very minor loss because of the cheap price of entry on the set. It does seem a strange recommendation, and a bit unbalanced, based on price, but it would be a really fun setup for movie watching. If he saves up for a new set of speakers, while still wanting something budget minded for the mains, I would recommend the ED Cinema 12 speakers --- For the price they seem a real gem. I'd recommend a front soundstage built with those but then he loses all his sub money.... So a new set of mains could be next years planned upgrade if he finds the jamos aren't up to his spl desire.

Cowboys, you got a lot of good advisors in this thread. I hope more continue to post. I certaintly don't have the end all advice. I'm just one voice. Weigh it all and choose your own setup.

Do you live close to anyone in the subwoofer demo thread? If so audition some equipment and see what you like.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1354149/the-ill-demo-my-subwoofer-for-other-enthusiasts-thread/0_50
There is a companion thread created for speaker auditions by brandonnash linked as well in the first post.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page