Need help choosing a subwoofer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 06-27-2012, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently purchased the Jamo S606 5.0 setup from Vanns. I have been using an old Jamo Sub 200 to hold me over until I could persuade the wife that I needed to upgrade the sub. I am running the setup with a Yamaha RX-V867. I have seen great reviews on Outlaw,HSU, and SVS but I don't think I can justify spending that kind of money on a sub when there are greater needs around the house for upgrades. That being said, how does the JAMO sub 650($330) compare to some of the subs a tier below the ID brands that are popular..such as Klipsch RW12D, PA 150, PL 200, etc. Will be using it for about 95% HT and gaming. Room size is 20x15 and open to the kitchen. Other suggestions are welcomed. Would like to try and stay below $400.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-27-2012, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Also, if by some miracle I can get a better sub, which is best between Outlaw, SVS, and HSU?
post #3 of 14 Old 06-27-2012, 02:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 778
I don't know much about that Jamo sub, but I also couldn't find it for sale anywhere. Where are you getting that price?

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #4 of 14 Old 06-27-2012, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolamyte View Post

Also, if by some miracle I can get a better sub, which is best between Outlaw, SVS, and HSU?
That depends on how much you can spend.
post #5 of 14 Old 06-27-2012, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

I don't know much about that Jamo sub, but I also couldn't find it for sale anywhere. Where are you getting that price?

I saw it on sale on eBay for $339 with free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jamo-Sub-650-Home-Theater-Subwoofer-Color-Black-/270891134804?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item3f125eaf54
post #6 of 14 Old 06-27-2012, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

That depends on how much you can spend.

If I can convince the wife, it will probably be one of these
Outlaw LFM-1 EX, HSU (VTF-2 MK4 or VTF-3 MK4), SVS PB12-NSD or somthing in that peformance/price range.
post #7 of 14 Old 06-27-2012, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Convince the wife to spend (I hate to tell people that, but...)the extra money. When you play a bass heavy movie or CD, she should be all smiles. My budget went from $500. to $1200. and it was well worth the price jump.

Jeff
post #8 of 14 Old 06-27-2012, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'd stay away from the Jamo sub. Once upon a time I had one (not the model your looking at)....and it just didn't cut it.
There speakers are OK, and I am sure you like them.

I'm an HSU guy and had many of their subs. I had a VTF2/3 and I think it would be wise to consider it. It matches your budget.
Has a lot of output. The difference between the VTF2/4 and VTF3/4 is the port size. VTF2/4 has 2 3" ports in the back,
and the VTF3/4 has 2 4" ports in the back plus it's side firing as opposed to down firing, (thus having more output)

You have a large area to fill, and I might suggest you get a second VTF2/4 in the future (when you can afford it).
$582 total with shipping....just my 2 cents.
Others will chime in with other options. wink.gif

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk4.html
post #9 of 14 Old 06-27-2012, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:

I saw it on sale on eBay for $339 with free shipping.

55% off is rather compelling, but like the others I too am unable to find much information on it. Since it appears to have been out since at least 2007 that strikes me as somewhat odd. Or telling I suppose, depending upon your perspective. On the flip side, it's hard to imagine it's been able to survive all these years if it didn't have something to offer. Looks like the only reason they're being sold so cheaply is Jamo has a Sub 660 now, which appears to be nothing more then an evolutionary change.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #10 of 14 Old 06-27-2012, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

If I have to go the other way with this purchase(lower budget <$400), what would be the better option to fill the space but still have quality sound? Seems like all the cheaper options have good and bad reviews so its hard to make a choice. I have no way of hearing these subs as I don't know of anyone that owns or any place that sells these locally. Open to all suggestions.
post #11 of 14 Old 06-27-2012, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If I can convince the wife, it will probably be one of these
Outlaw LFM-1 EX, HSU (VTF-2 MK4 or VTF-3 MK4), SVS PB12-NSD or somthing in that peformance/price range.

From those, the VTF3 would be the best in my opinion. It has equal output to the LFM-1 EX, except at the low end where it will surpass the LFM, and it has more output and deeper bass extension than the PB12. It also has more configuration options than the Outlaw and SVS subs. It is easily my first choice at that price point. As for the Jamo subs, I don't know how loud they would get, but that is a sealed 12", it won't have the deep bass of the Hsu, Outlaw, or SVS subs. It still might not be bad though, but I would want at least two of those for any home theater, and at that price there's no reason not to get multiples. Just guessing from the specs, but I think two might be able to outperform the Hsu, Outlaw, and SVS subs above the mid to high 30 hz range. Also make sure that is an authorized dealer for Jamo products or it may not be covered under warranty.
post #12 of 14 Old 07-16-2012, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

I went with the HSU VTF 3-MK4. It is an awesome sub!! Now, for the bad news. The wife loves the sound but. hates the footprint of it. Says it looks like a Mini Cooper parked in the corner. I have to admit it is a little big but I can live with it. What other subs can I get that have similar sound but with a smaller footprint? How do the SVS PC12 NSD and the SB12 NSD sound compared to the VTF3-MK4? Now that I have heard the HSU, I see why everyone recommends spending the extra money to buy a quality sub if you can afford it.
post #13 of 14 Old 07-16-2012, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

I went with the HSU VTF 3-MK4. It is an awesome sub!! Now, for the bad news. The wife loves the sound but. hates the footprint of it. Says it looks like a Mini Cooper parked in the corner. I have to admit it is a little big but I can live with it. What other subs can I get that have similar sound but with a smaller footprint? How do the SVS PC12 NSD and the SB12 NSD sound compared to the VTF3-MK4? Now that I have heard the HSU, I see why everyone recommends spending the extra money to buy a quality sub if you can afford it.
post #14 of 14 Old 07-16-2012, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

While neither of those subs will match the VTF3's output, the PC12 NSD will at least have better deep bass performance than the SB12. If you want something that has a small footprint and better performance than the VTF3, look at the PC12-Plus. If you can live with less output and deep bass, go for one of the NSDs. Since return shipping won't be cheap, you might try concealing the sub though, and get her input on that. Like place a tablecloth over it and set a plant on it. Also is there anywhere else in the room it can be placed which will be less conspicuous? Like say, an endtable type position?
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page