good sub match with satellite 5.0 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 07-02-2012, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Upgrading my HT. Have strict restrictions on speaker size so I'm considering a couple of (the higher-end) satellite systems. Luckily no significant size restrictions on the sub. Goal with the system is very defined sound at medium listening volumes, 80% movies, 10% music. The two satellite systems I'm looking at are:
- B&W M-1 speakers (i.e. the MT-50 system but with a hand-picked sub.)
- KEF HTS/HTC, or egg, speakers (i.e. the KHT3005 SE system but with a hand-picked sub.)

Medium sized living room, budget for the sub $500 give or take. Of course if there's something good that's less expensive I wouldn't complain ; )

Goals for the sub are:
- Good range and sq in the higher freq's to accommodate a nice crossover with the smaller satellites.
- Good definition vs big volume. I've had numerous experiences of going to hear a friends' new HT systems with them thrilled that the sub could shake the walls - which it did. Happy for them of course but to me it usually sounded boomy … i.e I'm thinking "that's not a sound effect, that's a string line in the soundtrack, how come all I hear are blurry thumps instead of the actual notes? Quite often even drums have a pitch to them and I like hear that."

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-02-2012, 09:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Epik Legend. Dual 12" driver sealed sub, well known for SQ with music, yet has lots of output for HT usage. Plenty of high end response for the M1s. $500 + shipping.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page