Subwoofer wire length - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 07-03-2012, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

My sub (Paradigm PW-2200) used to be next to my couch, so I had to lay the cable around the perimeter of my living room.

I'm using a 10 meter Audioquest sidewinder, and it sounds great.

My question is that I moved the components around and my sub now sits right next to my receiver so I should really be using a 2 meter cable. (I have about 8 meters of the cable tied around and is sitting in my entertainment cabinet)

Do you think I'll get any better sound quality if i switch to shorter cable?

Cables are so expensive so I'd hate to buy one if it won't make any difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-03-2012, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
I'm not saying that you need to buy another cable... My point in posting this is to inform you that cables aren't expensive. I buy all my cables and speaker wires from monoprice.com and I have been very pleased with the quality of the connection and the durability in the cables. I never had any issues with my cables from them.

Here is a 6ft (approx 2m) High quality subwoofer cable for $3.88... I use the 25ft version of these and I prefer them over Monster THX certified sub cables that cost a lot.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023603&p_id=2680&seq=1&format=2

Shawn
post #3 of 17 Old 07-03-2012, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
What he said! I doubt you'll hear any audible difference with a new cable, but it might be nice to get rid of that coil of wire. I, too, have a number of Monoprice products and am completely satisfied with them.

Jack

post #4 of 17 Old 07-03-2012, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by scofal View Post

Hi,
My sub (Paradigm PW-2200) used to be next to my couch, so I had to lay the cable around the perimeter of my living room.
I'm using a 10 meter Audioquest sidewinder, and it sounds great.
My question is that I moved the components around and my sub now sits right next to my receiver so I should really be using a 2 meter cable. (I have about 8 meters of the cable tied around and is sitting in my entertainment cabinet)
Do you think I'll get any better sound quality if i switch to shorter cable?
Cables are so expensive so I'd hate to buy one if it won't make any difference.

You will NOT get any better sound quality if you switch to a shorter cable. But, if it makes you feel better, it doesn't cost much to try the 6 foot cable from monoprice.
post #5 of 17 Old 07-03-2012, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
There is no audible gain in expensive cables most of us that are honest with ourselves have tried it over the years just get a good quality cable thats the right gauge for the job and length and Monoprice has excellent cables as does Blue Jeans.
post #6 of 17 Old 07-03-2012, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

From the Blue Jeans cable web site:

"In some ways, the subwoofer cable interconnect is the least demanding application in Home Theater. While HD video demands cables able to carry high-bandwith signals, at tight impedance tolerances, the subwoofer cable has the relatively easy job of carrying a very low-frequency, very low bandwith signal. But a subwoofer cable has a critical job to do, and needs to do it well: keep out the hum."

Very honest from Blue Jeans.
post #7 of 17 Old 07-04-2012, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Is momoprice safe to buy from?

I looked at the site and prices are great but I've read that there was a problem with fraud. Is that still the case?
post #8 of 17 Old 07-04-2012, 08:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
^^^

yes, they are safe to buy from...

fwiw, i used a 50 ft rca pair from them for my subs...

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021814&p_id=2868&seq=1&format=2

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #9 of 17 Old 07-04-2012, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Unless the cable you have now is bothering you because you can see it or its in the way there is no reason to replace it.
If you have any old RCA cable sitting around that came with some other piece of electronics that would work just as well as a "subwoofer" cable.
Monoprice is a very reputable company.

Regards,
Charlie

post #10 of 17 Old 07-04-2012, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks the replies.

I need to buy some 12 ga wire to run my surrounds and their prices are really good (I have torun 2 wires approx 50')

I also may buy the speaker wire raceway from them because they seem to have the best price.
post #11 of 17 Old 07-06-2012, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 574
+1 to Monoprice. I've bought a fair bit of stuff from them (speaker wire, interconnects, adaptors, assorted cabling) and I've never had any problems with their products or with their service. And their prices are excellent! smile.gif
post #12 of 17 Old 07-06-2012, 06:31 PM

+1 for Monoprice. Have used all sorts of cables, speaker wire, etc for my home theater and never a problem with the cables or the service. very reliable trusted vendor for me.
post #13 of 17 Old 07-07-2012, 12:30 AM

Liked: 17
Monoprice is a legendary name around the interwebs as they provide high quality cables and accessories for less than pretty much anywhere else. It also happens that their cheapest shipping option (at least for me) -- Norco Overite, is also their fastest...but I do live relatively near their HQ. $5 overnight shipping is quite stellar. I've purchased from them numerous times and my only complaint is that some of the RCA plugs i've ordered provide for a nervously tight fit. Otherwise they're a five star business.

Blue Jeans Cables is also another name that is recommended alongside Monoprice. Their products are a bit higher quality, look a little nicer, and mostly everything is made in the USA. Their prices are also a bit higher but it's all justified and still considered a fantastic value, with very minor markups.
post #14 of 17 Old 07-07-2012, 03:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Blue Jeans Cable now also has a company competing in the same value/quality range as Monoprice: Tartan Cable. I had a problem with the last subwoofer cable I bought from Monoprice (and Monoprice screwed up an order on me before that), so I decided to give Tartan a try. I like the look of the connectors on the Tartan Cables better. Tartan Cables can also be purchased off Amazon, a plus for anyone with Amazon Prime.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #15 of 17 Old 07-07-2012, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 
Blue Jeans Cable now also has a company competing in the same value/quality range as Monoprice: Tartan Cable.
Thanks for the tip. Next time I need something from Monoprice, I just might give Tartan Cable a try instead. smile.gif
post #16 of 17 Old 07-09-2012, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Blue Jeans Cable now also has a company competing in the same value/quality range as Monoprice: Tartan Cable. I had a problem with the last subwoofer cable I bought from Monoprice (and Monoprice screwed up an order on me before that), so I decided to give Tartan a try. I like the look of the connectors on the Tartan Cables better. Tartan Cables can also be purchased off Amazon, a plus for anyone with Amazon Prime.

It's ironic that the more impressive looking the connectors are on interconnects and subwoofer cables, the tighter they seem to fit and the less flexible the interconnect (and the cable) seem to be. This phenomenon is most apparent on high-end cables.

PS Tartan is currently sold out of 3, 6, 10, 15, and 50 foot lengths, however, Amazon has some lengths available, including 10 feet. smile.gif
post #17 of 17 Old 07-09-2012, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Thanks for the tip on BJC cables being available through Amazon Prime! smile.gif

Looks like a good selection of both the Tartan and BJC label cables are listed.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page