Should I add an Epik Empire sub to a Definitive Tech BP-8040ST 5.1 System - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-03-2012, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been doing a lot of research to build a 5.1 surround sound system for my house. My living room is 20’ by 26’. First, as a result of all the great things I have read about the Epik Empire sub, I have gotten my heart set on incorporating it into my system. I then narrowed my search down to Def Tech’s BP8040ST 5.1 system. The BP-8040ST’s already has a sub built into them and I have read many reviews where people have stated that they provide more than enough base. Does anyone have firsthand experience with this? Of course I am looking for a good amount of base but not enough that it creates a muddy effect. My though is that the Empire will add better base on the lower end that the BP's will not be able to since they are pushing 8" subs. I’m still on the fence with the BP8040ST’s because they are Bipolar and being the novice in audio that I am, I am not sure if this is the way to go. Is there a better line of speakers that I should go with so that I am not spending money on the subs build into the BP’s when I plan on incorporating the Empire into the system anyway? Please feel free to give advice on whether the BP’s are a good choice and if so should I add the Empire. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-16-2012, 02:35 PM

Liked: 12
I used to own a pair of BP 3000 towers with 18" 1000w inbuilt subs. I added a pair of M&K MX V125THX subs. Let's just say it was crazy deep bass that I miss to this day.

If I were you I'd go for it.

Anthem MRX300, Anthem Statement A5, MK Sound MP150Mk2 LCR,MK Sound S150T's,Paradigm Signature Sub1,Pioneer BDP LX55,Isol8 Cleanline2 mains,Sonos ZP90,Qnap TS112 NAS,PanasonicTXP50GT60.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-17-2012, 07:17 PM

Liked: 10
I have the following setup:
Denon 2808CI
Emotiva XPA-2-Mains
Emotiva UPA-2-Bi-Amped-Center
Definitive Technology BP-7004 (Mains)
Definitive Technology CLR 3000(Center)
Definitive Technology BP 1.2x (Rear & Side Surrounds)
Sonotube Titanic MK III 15" Subwoofer tuned to 16hz, PE 1000 watts
JTR Captivator S2( will be here tomorrow!)
2 Great Gramma's
Monster HTS 5000 MK II
Panasonic PT-AX 200 Projector
Carada 88" Projector Screen
Panasonic Blu-Ray Player BDT-350
Xbox360

I have everything crossed over at 80 hz, ALL speakers set to small, only speaker wire to the mains. I did run the LFE to the powered def tech subs but I felt it muddied up for my liking. My room is 12x20x7.5. I prefer the bi-polar speakers compared to the direct radiating speakers i had before(JBL S-412p). So my opinion is to grab your sub of choice, you won't regret it!!!

Denon 2808CI
Emotiva XPA-2-Mains
Emotiva UPA-2-Bi-Amped-Center
Definitive Technology BP-7004 (Mains), CLR 3000(Center), BP 1.2x (Rear & Side Surrounds)
JTR Sealed Captivator S2, PE Titanic 1000 watt Sonotube
Panasonic PT-AE8000u Projector, Panasonic Blu-Ray Player BDT-500
Carada 88" Projector Screen
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Definitive Technology Bp 8040st Ea Bipolar Tower With Built In Powered Subwoofer Each
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page