AVS Forum banner

Should I add an Epik Empire sub to a Definitive Tech BP-8040ST 5.1 System

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  kong 
#1 ·
I have been doing a lot of research to build a 5.1 surround sound system for my house. My living room is 20’ by 26’. First, as a result of all the great things I have read about the Epik Empire sub, I have gotten my heart set on incorporating it into my system. I then narrowed my search down to Def Tech’s BP8040ST 5.1 system. The BP-8040ST’s already has a sub built into them and I have read many reviews where people have stated that they provide more than enough base. Does anyone have firsthand experience with this? Of course I am looking for a good amount of base but not enough that it creates a muddy effect. My though is that the Empire will add better base on the lower end that the BP's will not be able to since they are pushing 8" subs. I’m still on the fence with the BP8040ST’s because they are Bipolar and being the novice in audio that I am, I am not sure if this is the way to go. Is there a better line of speakers that I should go with so that I am not spending money on the subs build into the BP’s when I plan on incorporating the Empire into the system anyway? Please feel free to give advice on whether the BP’s are a good choice and if so should I add the Empire. Thank you.

#3 ·
I have the following setup:

Denon 2808CI

Emotiva XPA-2-Mains

Emotiva UPA-2-Bi-Amped-Center

Definitive Technology BP-7004 (Mains)

Definitive Technology CLR 3000(Center)

Definitive Technology BP 1.2x (Rear & Side Surrounds)

Sonotube Titanic MK III 15" Subwoofer tuned to 16hz, PE 1000 watts

JTR Captivator S2( will be here tomorrow!)

2 Great Gramma's

Monster HTS 5000 MK II

Panasonic PT-AX 200 Projector

Carada 88" Projector Screen

Panasonic Blu-Ray Player BDT-350

Xbox360

I have everything crossed over at 80 hz, ALL speakers set to small, only speaker wire to the mains. I did run the LFE to the powered def tech subs but I felt it muddied up for my liking. My room is 12x20x7.5. I prefer the bi-polar speakers compared to the direct radiating speakers i had before(JBL S-412p). So my opinion is to grab your sub of choice, you won't regret it!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.