ML Dynamo 1000 (discount) or custom box Rhythmik, help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-03-2012, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I have a chance to get a Martin Logan Dynamo 1000 for below 50% retail. My previous plan was to order a Rhythmik 12" or 15" and build a piano gloss sealed box with my friend who is a carpenter. This would save me a few hundred from the F12SE, and get me a what I am told is a fantastic sub (I believe you guys on this one). I'd prefer sealed, and piano gloss as I have BW CM9s in piano black.

I can a) buy the ML Dynamo 1000 and either sell it later for a Rhythmik or.... buy a second Dynamo for two 12" subs

b) or I could never bother with the Dynamo, and go straight to my original plan and get Rhytmik (maybe a 15"), and a second when I can afford it.

c) get the dynamo and mixmatch with the Rhytmik.

I have a Marantz SR6006, and I use my setup for video gaming, movies, and music (about equal). I tried to spec things to a musical side, and would like to continue that. I am in college for another two years, so budget is important. My current sub is a JBL 100W 10" woofer.... PS100 or something like that. Obviously anything above is a huge upgrade, but I am willing to be patient if worth it.

ANY input welcomed, as long as it is constructive.

AVR: Marantz 7008 Phono: Pro-Ject Debut III Speakers: BW CMC2 + 2xCM9 + Energy 2xCB-10 (rear)
TV: Panasonic 65ZT60, Samsung 60F5300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-04-2012, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

bumping once only.

AVR: Marantz 7008 Phono: Pro-Ject Debut III Speakers: BW CMC2 + 2xCM9 + Energy 2xCB-10 (rear)
post #3 of 8 Old 07-04-2012, 09:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Even at $500, a 35lb sub wouldn't impress me. Put the $500 bucks towards plan B.
post #4 of 8 Old 07-04-2012, 11:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Go for plan B with the 15 inch kit as the price difference between 12 and 15 is negligible
post #5 of 8 Old 07-05-2012, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidawgz View Post

a) buy the ML Dynamo 1000 and either sell it later for a Rhythmik or.... buy a second Dynamo for two 12" subs
b) or I could never bother with the Dynamo, and go straight to my original plan and get Rhytmik (maybe a 15"), and a second when I can afford it.

I'd go with dual 1000's over a single Rythmik 12", but I'd take a single Rythmik 15" over dual 1000's. How big is your room? That could be a factor.

BTW; where are you getting ML speakers for less then half price? PM me the info if necessary.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #6 of 8 Old 07-05-2012, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

The room is as shown at the bottom in an img file, however is roughly 19' x 11' - 14' depending how you look at it.

The 15" Rhythmik is a great price over 12" if going custom, but the size is so huge. I currently am living with my folks so a 15" is no issue, but whatever place I can afford when I graduate may fall down with a 15" sub in it ha ha. I am also semi-concerned about future WAF (how sad). You guys who own 15"s do you have them in a dedicated theater room or right in the living room?

Are two 12s (Rhythmik) better than one 15?

To answer Jim, I get a deal through my job. I am impressed by the Dynamo 700, but from what I read here its probably garbage compared to ID. I have no reason not to believe that advice, so I am OK with waiting rather than jumping on a ML just over the low price.

FloorplanBW.png

post #7 of 8 Old 07-05-2012, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The room is as shown at the bottom in an img file, however is roughly 19' x 11' - 14' depending how you look at it.

That one wall looks to be mostly 13'-10", not 11', so I calculate a little over 3500 cubic feet. That's a pretty sizable space.

Quote:

The 15" Rhythmik is a great price over 12" if going custom, but the size is so huge. I currently am living with my folks so a 15" is no issue, but whatever place I can afford when I graduate may fall down with a 15" sub in it ha ha. I am also semi-concerned about future WAF (how sad).

Get the sub now, that way you're a matched set when the WAF decision comes into play. Remember, it's always better to ask forgiveness then permission. wink.gif

Quote:

Are two 12s (Rhythmik) better than one 15?

Personally, I would go with the 15". The room is not so huge that it would struggle. Dual's could even out the sound, making things more uniform, but the 15" will probably dig deeper. Depends upon your preference I suppose.

If you can't work out getting a custom cabinet from your friend DIY Sound Group makes "flat packs" that seem to be pretty stout, so either way you could get a cabinet if you opt to go DIY.

post #8 of 8 Old 07-14-2012, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a chance to get a Martin Logan Dynamo 1000 for below 50% retail.

If you're able to get this type of discount for others -- like me, for example wink.gif -- I might be interested in one.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page