Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-05-2012, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Hey Guys,

Almost done the theater and hooked up my subs and managed to do a walk around of the room when I found that the center of the room has a massive phasing issue. Now I had this ridiculous 2 foot indent in my basemen (I don't know why the architect design something like that) but it seems to mess things up for me. I've posted a drawing of the layout of the theater and marked where I don't hear bass anymore. I've tried every combination 0-180, 0-0, 180-0, and 180-180 and still nothing. I have a feeling I will have to move them or add bass traps in the corners.

Can you guys help shed some light and offer some advice on what I should try, or confirm that bass traps might in fact help in this situation?

Thanks guys

Get all your A/V News at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Like AVS Forum on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Follow AVS Forums on

AVSForum
Bringing the AV Community Together
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-05-2012, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here's a pic of what it looks like so far....

Like AVS Forum on
Follow AVS Forums on

AVSForum
post #3 of 6 Old 07-05-2012, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Have you tried the right rear corner since that has the 2 longest walls it should give you some good numbers.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-06-2012, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Oztech, I will most definitely try that out tonight. I completely forgot about putting subs on opposing walls.

I still don't like the fact that there's a 2 foot wall in front of the left subwoofer but then again, I don't have much choice.

Like AVS Forum on
Follow AVS Forums on

AVSForum
post #5 of 6 Old 07-07-2012, 06:36 PM

Location: San Diego County, southern California, USA, Planet Earth
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 40
The first time I looked at your sketch my immediate thought was "why not place the sub in front of the door in the opposite right corner of sub #1?" As oztech suggested, you should get a much more satisfying and improved, smoother room response with that placement. Let us know your thoughts after you have tried it for a while. Best wishes!

Edwin R. Hurd
AVS Forums Lurker-In-Training!

post #6 of 6 Old 07-07-2012, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by e39mofo View Post

Thanks Oztech, I will most definitely try that out tonight. I completely forgot about putting subs on opposing walls.
I still don't like the fact that there's a 2 foot wall in front of the left subwoofer but then again, I don't have much choice.
The 2' recess is not hurting your bass. I also doubt the LF/RR setup will get you the results you seek. No harm trying, of course.

I would suggest also trying putting one sub dead center of the front wall, and the other on the center of the rear wall. Even if that is unacceptable in the long run, it's worth seeing how well it works to unify the response.

Have a look at this presentation from Todd Welti, Harman. It shows how different sub locations affect the uniformity of the bass in the seating area. If you can get it to be uniform, then the AVR's EQ will make it smooth.

Roger

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page