Good evening guys -
Basically, I've been looking/reading/scouring forums, reviews, specs, test results etc for about a month and I'd like to have a sub ordered by Sunday night finally. My price range is right around $1000. My first 2 contestants were the HSU VTF-15H and the Epik Empire.
1. Budget - ~$1000
2. Size requirements/limits. - None
3. Room dimensions - ~3680 Cubic Feet, this is a basement with a cement floor, 1 open doorway to the stairs leading upstairs.
4. Primary uses - 90% TV/Movies, 9% gaming, 1% Music. Movies and TV is where my prioroty lies by a LONGSHOT, a lot of time on the Xbox I have a studio type gaming headset on anyways.
5. Listening habits - I like movies pretty loud, TV above average. On my reciever (Onkyo TX-NR3008) I believe a volume setting of "0" is refrence, TV is generally -25 to -15, movies are -20 to -5. I want to be able to FEEL the bass!
6. Appearance requirements - As far as I'm concerned it can have bright pink polka dots.
7. Timeframe - Want to order it by this upcoming Sunday night (july 8th), but shipping/processing is what it is. I'm not going to pass on the theoretical "best" sub because it would take a little longer to receive. $1000 is a decent investment for me and I want to get it right.
Receiver - Onkyo TX-NR3008
Subs - Klipsh Sub 12 + Klipsh RSW-12D
Main Speakers - Klipsh Ref IV RF82 (R+L)
Center Channel - Klipsch Ref IV RC52
Front Height - Klipsch Ref IV RS52 (x2)
Surround sides - Klipsch Ref IV RS52 (x2)
Surround Backs - Klipsch Ref IV RS52 (x2)
Amplifier - Emotiva XPA-5 (For the standard 5.x speakers)
The system I have is definetly decent as far as I'm concerned, but I want to replace the subs with something much better. Klipsch has in my opinion great sounding speakers, but their subs leave something to be desired. I've narrowed it down to the HSU VTF-15H and the Epik Empire, but am open to other thoughts/suggestions. Please keep in mind its mainly for Movies/TV, and i'm not as concerned about the subs hitting perfectly everytime musically as I am more so in being able to feel the action more. I like the idea of the dual drivers in the Epik Empire, but some people express concerned that the build quility may be lower to put 2 drivers in at the same price point as other manufacturers.
Please give me any thoughts/opinions/suggestions that you can think of, I'm sure that no matter what I get I'd be happy with it but at a price of around $1000 for one, and possibly adding another in the future i'd be second guessing myself for months and months to come if I didn't open myself up to feedback and suggestions before I finally made the purchase.
One thing I didn't mention was that I'd be taking the Klipsch RSW-12D out as soon as the new sub arrived...that sub seems more punchy then anything else. Not much depth to it at all. That being said, could I configure that other klipsh (the Sub 12) as a midrange sub of sorts?
Thanks for the thoughts/opinions/help guys, I REALLY REALLY appreciate it!
Blu-Ray - 1229
HD DVD - 57
SD DVD - 1159
I Do Blu.