I hate deciding! 2 smaller subs vs 1 bigger sub help. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-07-2012, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hello, everybody. I;m just about to start my basement/HT project and I'm looking to decide on what subs I want. I'm pretty sure that I will be matching these with three sho-10's and 2 or 4 mirage OMD5's. I may just go with all sho's, but size is a factor. I am debating between numerous sub choices. First off,

1. My budget: I would like to stay around the 2k range. I live in Chicago, so Epic, JTR and Seaton would all be pickup options and save me on delivery charges.

2. Size requirements/limits. Size isn't that important, but I don't really want something really out of place in my room. Let's just say it is lover down on the list, but still on it.

3. Room dimensions. The total cubic feet for my space is about 2300. The room is rectangular with the tv against one of the smaller walls. The only trick is that for the first 8 feet the width is 11 ft. After that it opens up to 14 ft because of a "hallway" type area. My listening position will be between 10 -13 foot range, so in the 14 ft area.

4. Primary uses. I would say 60%tv/sports, 35% movies and 5% gaming/music. This is primarily a HT, I listen to music elsewhere. I actually plan to have the movie use go up with this room.

5. Listening habits. I like to listen to TV shows at a lover level and Movies and Sports at near reference levels.

6. Appearance requirements. This is sort of the same as #2. It's not high on the list, but still on it. I don't want something very ugly but I don't really care that much. I think that all of the subs that I'm looking at are fine.

7. Timeframe. Hopefully in about a month.

After going through the shootout and GTG threads (as well as individual suggestion threads) I am a bit overwhelmed. From what I've read, it seems like dual subs are the way to go, but I'm not 100% sure. The dual subs that I'm looking at are:

1. CHT SS-18.1 Dual Pack

2. CHT VS-18.1 Dual Pack (too much for my space?)

3. Hsu VT-15 H dual pack (I currently have the HSU STF-2)

4. Epic Empire Dual Pack

As for single subs:

A JTR Captivator 1000 or even a Captivator

A Seaton Subversive or a subversive HP

As of right now, I'm leaning towards the Epics or CHT ss-18's. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-07-2012, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 102
I agree with the direction you're considering. You room is pretty small, and you will get a nice lift down low. The Epik does have a 20hz HPF, which will limit it. The chase could be a really good option, I highly recommend adding an EQ as well.

http://www.minidsp.com/onlinestore/detail/15-minidsp-in-a-box/flypage/62-minidsp-2x4-reva?sef=hcfp
post #3 of 9 Old 07-07-2012, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks! I forgot to add that I already have a Denon 4311i. One thing in the chase's corner is that I could go with the packages that they have.

post #4 of 9 Old 07-07-2012, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Duals. Dual VTF-15's would work good, save some of the 2K in your budget. Scrath off a single sub of anyone them from your list, unless you want a trophy. Oh, BTW, I wouldn't classify dual VTF-15's as small subs.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-07-2012, 11:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 643
With the Denon 4311, you are set to go for EQ. Dual SS 18.1s with the Dayton amp should be plenty for your room smile.gif

post #6 of 9 Old 07-07-2012, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 471
I've heard ChaseHT SS-18.1s in my ~3,375 cu.ft. basement HT space and in my buddy's ~2,025 cu.ft. basement HT space and I'm confident that they will kick serious @ss in your 2,300 cu.ft. room! smile.gif

That being said, duals of any of those subs should prove very satisfying. cool.gif
post #7 of 9 Old 07-07-2012, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

[quote name="Auditor55" url="/t/1419151/i-hate-deciding-2-smaller-subs-vs-1-bigger-sub-help#post_22198411". Oh, BTW, I wouldn't classify dual VTF-15's as small subs.[/quote]

Ha, no, neither would I. I guess I was referring to the price more than anything. Thanks fro the input, everyone.

post #8 of 9 Old 07-07-2012, 06:16 PM

Location: San Diego County, southern California, USA, Planet Earth
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Looking forward to seeing photos of your project as it progresses to completion.

BTW I agree with the idea of dual subs; I am using a pair of M&K Sound subs in my HT. The addition of the second sub will really contribute much to smoothing out your low frequency room response. You will be more than satisfied with the results.

Edwin R. Hurd
AVS Forums Lurker-In-Training!

My Tight-space A/V Setup
post #9 of 9 Old 07-07-2012, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Dual subs it is! Thanks for all of the feedback, it really helped.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page