Hello, everybody. I;m just about to start my basement/HT project and I'm looking to decide on what subs I want. I'm pretty sure that I will be matching these with three sho-10's and 2 or 4 mirage OMD5's. I may just go with all sho's, but size is a factor. I am debating between numerous sub choices. First off,
1. My budget: I would like to stay around the 2k range. I live in Chicago, so Epic, JTR and Seaton would all be pickup options and save me on delivery charges.
2. Size requirements/limits. Size isn't that important, but I don't really want something really out of place in my room. Let's just say it is lover down on the list, but still on it.
3. Room dimensions. The total cubic feet for my space is about 2300. The room is rectangular with the tv against one of the smaller walls. The only trick is that for the first 8 feet the width is 11 ft. After that it opens up to 14 ft because of a "hallway" type area. My listening position will be between 10 -13 foot range, so in the 14 ft area.
4. Primary uses. I would say 60%tv/sports, 35% movies and 5% gaming/music. This is primarily a HT, I listen to music elsewhere. I actually plan to have the movie use go up with this room.
5. Listening habits. I like to listen to TV shows at a lover level and Movies and Sports at near reference levels.
6. Appearance requirements. This is sort of the same as #2. It's not high on the list, but still on it. I don't want something very ugly but I don't really care that much. I think that all of the subs that I'm looking at are fine.
7. Timeframe. Hopefully in about a month.
After going through the shootout and GTG threads (as well as individual suggestion threads) I am a bit overwhelmed. From what I've read, it seems like dual subs are the way to go, but I'm not 100% sure. The dual subs that I'm looking at are:
1. CHT SS-18.1 Dual Pack
2. CHT VS-18.1 Dual Pack (too much for my space?)
3. Hsu VT-15 H dual pack (I currently have the HSU STF-2)
4. Epic Empire Dual Pack
As for single subs:
A JTR Captivator 1000 or even a Captivator
A Seaton Subversive or a subversive HP
As of right now, I'm leaning towards the Epics or CHT ss-18's. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!