1Likes
  • 1 Post By DualMono

post #1 of 19 Old 07-07-2012, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Guys,

I recently developed an issue with my AWESOME 1-year old Epik Legend subwoofer. After a fine evening of Saving Private Ryan I discovered that my sub wouldn't power up. After a bit of searching I found the 250V fuse was burnt out. I replaced it with the extra fuse (from the little fuse holder thing) and was delighted to see the power return to my sub.

After moving everything back and ready to enjoy a thunderous evening of the Nascar race at Daytona, as soon as I turned the sound back on, the fuse blew out again.

I currently run my sub, plugged into a 7-outlet Monster Power home theater power strip that is plugged into the SWITCHED outlet of my Monster Power HDP-1800 power conditioner (the wife likes the sub on switched outlet so she can turn it off while the baby sleeps and still enjoy her shows)

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated...I miss my subwoofer.

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 07-08-2012, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Alright, I've made a trip down to Radio Shack to get some more 250V fuses so I could try a few things. Instead of running the power for the sub to a power strip and then to the power condition, I ran it straight to the wall. I then switched out the RCA cable that runs the signal from the receiver to the sub. When I switch on the sub it powers up, but the first time a sub signal arrives I blow out the fuse.

15 minutes, and 3 more fuses later and I'm still sub-less.

I sent Epik an email when I first started having issues about 2-3 weeks ago and haven't heard from them (they're probably busy with the holiday). I sent a follow up last night.

I'm getting desperate. Anyone have any ideas?
post #3 of 19 Old 07-09-2012, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Mike,

A bad amp is the usual cause for blown fuses and the Legend is known to have amp failures ... WHEN you get in touch with Chad, he will no doubt get you going again.

Good Luck,

Bill C
post #4 of 19 Old 07-09-2012, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Bill,

Just got off the phone with Chad and he said that they were going to ship me a new amp. The impression that I got was this wasn't the first time this problem had come with the amp and he seemed eager to help me resolve my issue. I'll be waiting by the mail for my package so I can have my boom back!
post #5 of 19 Old 07-09-2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolferMikeA View Post

Thanks Bill,
Just got off the phone with Chad and he said that they were going to ship me a new amp. The impression that I got was this wasn't the first time this problem had come with the amp and he seemed eager to help me resolve my issue. I'll be waiting by the mail for my package so I can have my boom back!

I am glad you got a resolution. I have similar problem w my Epik Dragon sub. It stopped working 5 weeks ago. Contacted Epik and send several e-mails and left several voice messages. My fuses are fine but amp would not power up. There is power to the amp. Chad lef a voice mail2 weeks ago sating he will help but it has been 2 weeks and no follow up. I am running out of patience.
Peter
post #6 of 19 Old 07-26-2012, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Well I appear to be in the same boat as Tanev...still awaiting resolution... Talked to Chad 2 weeks and 3 days ago and he promised to send me a replacement amp but as of yet....Zippo. Sent off follow up email, still no response. Called and left a message, haven't heard back. It's a damn shame too, because I love my subwoofer. Fit, finish, and performance couldn't be beat, unfortunately it looks like the customer service for Epik is next to non-existant.
post #7 of 19 Old 07-31-2012, 07:58 AM

I'm not liking this thread as I thought I decided on a Legend. Getting tired of rethinking my sub purchase, second guess, etc.
post #8 of 19 Old 07-31-2012, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanev View Post

I am glad you got a resolution. I have similar problem w my Epik Dragon sub. It stopped working 5 weeks ago. Contacted Epik and send several e-mails and left several voice messages. My fuses are fine but amp would not power up. There is power to the amp. Chad lef a voice mail2 weeks ago sating he will help but it has been 2 weeks and no follow up. I am running out of patience.
Peter
Did you try another power cable? That happend to me with my Dragon. New power cable from a printer and worked fine for about 3 weeks, then the amp went. Contacted Chad and he sent me a replacement amp for free and it was out of warranty.
post #9 of 19 Old 08-08-2012, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I had to pay another call to Epik. Got a hold of Chad again. He said he remembered my call and things just fell through the cracks. He said that he was sending out my replacement amp and will call me back tomorrow with tracking #. I guess we'll see...its only been 31 days.
post #10 of 19 Old 08-08-2012, 08:33 PM

Wow sorry to hear that . Hope you'll be back in action soon.. I know how it is not to have your system in working order as designed . Pretty sure Chad will straighten it out for you soon.
post #11 of 19 Old 08-14-2012, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Same thing happened to my Legend but the replacement amp has been good so far. Hopefully he will overnight it to make up for his mistake.
post #12 of 19 Old 08-18-2012, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Alright...so I didn't get a tracking #, but Chad DID call me the next day and left message saying it was on the way (wifey said he sounded like he was heading to the post office as they spoke). Sure enough, 2 days later I had a sweet box on my door. I got detained and was unable to get it installed until today. A few observations...

The instructions on how to install the amp was very clear...Simply clip the black & red wire and the red (only) wire, strip off 1/4" of insulation, slide onto crip connectors and crimp....welllmethings just don't seem to go that smooth. Trying to stip off the 1/4" of insulation, an INCH of insulation came off the wire, leaving me too little. So it was off to Lowes for some more wire (the wire inside the sub is well insulated...it looks like 14-gauge from the outside, but 16-gauge once you strip off the insulation...very odd).

So I finally get it wired in right and plugged it in and had power light...but no boom. Turns out that in an effort to pull enough slack to the sub speaker wire to the crimp connectors, I had pulled 3 of 4 wire spade connectors off the sub speakers. So I had to remove all the stuffing, reconnect the spades, and then restuff my Epik subwoofer.

Plug in, and smiles all around.

Overall, I DO love my Epik sub, and hope that my issue was a rarity..as well as the efforts involved to get a response and resolution....but from the other comments about Epik on the forum, I don't think that it is true.

Getting ready to crank up the "IRENE" scene from BLACKHAWK DOWN, just to help me get over my long suffering Sub-withdraws.
post #13 of 19 Old 08-18-2012, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolferMikeA View Post

Alright...so I didn't get a tracking #, but Chad DID call me the next day and left message saying it was on the way (wifey said he sounded like he was heading to the post office as they spoke). Sure enough, 2 days later I had a sweet box on my door. I got detained and was unable to get it installed until today. A few observations...
The instructions on how to install the amp was very clear...Simply clip the black & red wire and the red (only) wire, strip off 1/4" of insulation, slide onto crip connectors and crimp....welllmethings just don't seem to go that smooth. Trying to stip off the 1/4" of insulation, an INCH of insulation came off the wire, leaving me too little. So it was off to Lowes for some more wire (the wire inside the sub is well insulated...it looks like 14-gauge from the outside, but 16-gauge once you strip off the insulation...very odd).
So I finally get it wired in right and plugged it in and had power light...but no boom. Turns out that in an effort to pull enough slack to the sub speaker wire to the crimp connectors, I had pulled 3 of 4 wire spade connectors off the sub speakers. So I had to remove all the stuffing, reconnect the spades, and then restuff my Epik subwoofer.
Plug in, and smiles all around.
Overall, I DO love my Epik sub, and hope that my issue was a rarity..as well as the efforts involved to get a response and resolution....but from the other comments about Epik on the forum, I don't think that it is true.
Getting ready to crank up the "IRENE" scene from BLACKHAWK DOWN, just to help me get over my long suffering Sub-withdraws.

Here's the thing: you just got your sub fixed and the first thing you do is go crank a scene that has strong 10 hz content? You do realize that is very hard on your sub right? Especially a sealed sub like the Legend. While the Legend should have a limiter that absolutely protects it from abuse like that, limiters can be over-ridden if pushed hard enough. You are stressing your sub hard. If I were you I would check to see if your receiver has a high pass filter for the sub out, and at least filter out the 20 hz and lower stuff. If you want strong deep bass without pulverizing your sub, you should get a ported sub. The Legend's design suggests it would be good for mid and upper bass, not deep bass.
post #14 of 19 Old 07-08-2014, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Well, since August '12 I haven't had an issue. Thought my sub troubles were long behind me...then one day...zip, silence. Subless again!

Fuse popped, so I run to radio shack and get a replacement. I throw it in, get light, but as soon as a signal arrives it pops again?

Any chance that inhale the wrong fuse? What is the proper recommended fuse?

I pulled the amp out, no signs of scorching or burn smells, so hopefully it's just a fuse...

Help me make my Epik live again!
post #15 of 19 Old 07-08-2014, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 149
I had the same issue. In the end, I sold the drivers and trashed the sub.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #16 of 19 Old 07-08-2014, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Last resort I guess.

Could always replace the amp? Any suggestions on what would fit with minimal cutting and fitting?
post #17 of 19 Old 07-08-2014, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolferMikeA View Post
Last resort I guess.

Could always replace the amp? Any suggestions on what would fit with minimal cutting and fitting?
An outboard amp would require the least modification of the cabinet. The iNuke series of amps with dsp might be a good option. Might look at the plate amp selection at parts-express.com otherwise...

post #18 of 19 Old 07-08-2014, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Last resort I guess.

PM: daveds50

He should be able to repair your amp. Probably be cheaper and easier than replacing with a new amp.
lovinthehd likes this.
post #19 of 19 Old 07-09-2014, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Last resort I guess.

Check the Epik thread, there are plenty of suggestions on amp replacements.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page