5.1 or 2.1 ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-08-2012, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,
i want to watch ac3 5.1 hd channels (i am talking about satellite tv channels here) with a satellite card on my pc, and i want to buy a 5.1 subwoofer like this one : http://delux.manufacturer.globalsources.com/si/6008800789169/pdtl/5.1-ch-computer/1007775753/5.1-Channel-Computer-Speakers.htm
but the place of my pc does not allow me a proper setup, i can only put 2 speakers (the left and right) on each side of the screen, the subwoofer on a small table under the pc table right in front of my legs with 2 speakers (left and right surround) on each side of the subwoofer and finally the center speaker on the subwoofer or on a pc table shelf above it. i know that this configaration does not allow me to enjoy the 5.1 audio properly but at least i can hear all parts on the audio.

my first question is : in this configuration will there be a problem to my ears ?

my second question is : when i switch to 2.1 (stereo) music channels will i hear the music properly as if i am using a 2.1 subwoofer or the audio will be low and in a lower quality ? and if there will be a problem to my ears ?

my third question is : if i buy a 2.1 subwoofer how will i hear the ac3 5.1 satellite tv hd channels, will hear all the parts of the audio, will the audio be low, will i be able to hear the movie speach correctly ? will there be a problem to my ears ?
sorry for my bad english and thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-08-2012, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Since it sounds as though you're going to place your surround speakers in front of you, don't bother with a 5.1-channel set-up. Get a good 2.1-channel system, set your sound card to downmix 5.1 to 2.1 (if it is capable of doing so), and enjoy. smile.gif

If you do also purchase a center channel speaker, do not place it on the subwoofer (beneath your PC table)...unless your ears are located in your knees. wink.gif If you can't place it in front of you - between the left and right speakers - place it above your monitor and angle it down toward your listening position.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-08-2012, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

Since it sounds as though you're going to place your surround speakers in front of you, don't bother with a 5.1-channel set-up. Get a good 2.1-channel system, set your sound card to downmix 5.1 to 2.1 (if it is capable of doing so), and enjoy. smile.gif
If you do also purchase a center channel speaker, do not place it on the subwoofer (beneath your PC table)...unless your ears are located in your knees. wink.gif If you can't place it in front of you - between the left and right speakers - place it above your monitor and angle it down toward your listening position.
thank you for your reply and can you tell how to set the sound card to downmix ?
post #4 of 4 Old 07-08-2012, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 471
I'd check the manual. It should tell you what options are available to you. My RealTek card, for example, allows me to select 5.1 audio, to enable bass management and to disable speakers I don't want to use. Presumably (I haven't tried it, as I only run stereo), this would down-mix 5.1 audio to 2.1. Something similar might be available to you w/ your card.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page