What should I be looking at between $2,000 and $2,500 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 07-09-2012, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had my SVS PC Ultra 13 for several years and whilst the performance is excellent I wouldn't mind looking at something a bit different for a change.

You're very lucky in the huge range of subs available to you over here as we're quite starved in the UK and don't have anywhere near the variety. I bought my first couple of SVS subs directly from the company in USA before they appointed UK or European distributors so I'm not scared of importing from overseas.

By the time that delivery and taxes are added on the prices in £ tend to be the same or sightly more than your prices in $ which might give you some idea of my price range.

I've read up about the Seaton Submersive HP which isn't available in Uk voltage quite yet (mañana, mañana) which from what I've read seems to be the best bet at around my price range. The JL Audio F110 is about the same price in UK but perhaps an inferior performance to the Seaton whilst the F112 at £3,000 is probably too expensive as is the JTR Captivator which is about the same price.

Is there anything else that i should be considering?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-09-2012, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 488
I don't know if the Rythmiks are compatible with UK voltages, but if so, it would be worth checking out the FV15HP. S&H charges will be a bitch though, but they will be bad on anything you purchase from the US. A couple Hsu VTF15Hs would be worth considering too, or maybe a couple of ULS-15s. The JL Audio F110 would have sad performance compared to any of these.
Ian J likes this.
post #3 of 17 Old 07-09-2012, 09:17 AM

Liked: 11
Have you considered buying 2 passive JTR Captivators and power them with a 2-channel amp? I have heard this produce very good results.
Archaea likes this.
post #4 of 17 Old 07-09-2012, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennynike1 View Post

Have you considered buying 2 passive JTR Captivators and power them with a 2-channel amp? I have heard this produce very good results.

A pair of passive Captivators is $3,000 before the cost of shipping and amplification and I don't really have room for twin subs anyway as my HT system is in my living room
post #5 of 17 Old 07-09-2012, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Since you are in the UK, and based on your price range, the best recomemndation would be a second Ultra 13. Or start reading up in the DIY forums. You should be able to put together a superior sub to what you have now in your price range if you are willing to go DIY.
post #6 of 17 Old 07-09-2012, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

I don't know if the Rythmiks are compatible with UK voltages, but if so, it would be worth checking out the FV15HP.

I'm glad that I asked now as that looks like a rather good sub. There are no details of voltage on the website so I've pinged off an email - thanks
post #7 of 17 Old 07-09-2012, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't think the Rhythmik is going to give anything over what you have now looking at the CEA Audioholics measurements, at least not below 30hz. If you are just looking for more output, the second Ultra 13 would give you more output as well as smooth out response in your room.

Which leads me to my next question. What are the specs and layout of your room? Subwoofer placement, room acoustics, EQ, etc are huge factors that I would investigate first before writing a big check.
post #8 of 17 Old 07-09-2012, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian J View Post

A pair of passive Captivators is $3,000 before the cost of shipping and amplification and I don't really have room for twin subs anyway as my HT system is in my living room
How about a single passive Captivator+ Behringer EP4000 amp? From what i have been reading here, it is better than dual SVS PC13 ultras and is well within your price range.
Archaea likes this.
post #9 of 17 Old 07-09-2012, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 254
The Rythmik F15 (sealed version), F15HP (high-power) or F25 (dual) may also be worth a look. The servo circuit should yield lower distortion than other approaches.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #10 of 17 Old 07-09-2012, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:

I'm glad that I asked now as that looks like a rather good sub. There are no details of voltage on the website so I've pinged off an email - thanks

Rythmiks are definitely available in 240V version so no problems for you in the UK.
post #11 of 17 Old 07-09-2012, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennynike1 View Post

oh yes!

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #12 of 17 Old 07-09-2012, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

What are the specs and layout of your room? Subwoofer placement, room acoustics, EQ, etc are huge factors that I would investigate first before writing a big check.

It's about 18' by 13' and room acoustics are reasonable but I use the EQ in the Arcam AVR600 plus have the sub running through an Anti Mode. The speakers are all MK Sound inwalls. I am happy with the sound produced by the Ultra but after three or four years am bored looking at the huge tube and think it's time to try something else as long as the performance is at least equal to what i already have.

I have attached a couple of photos of the room just after the speakers were installed. It looks rather empty when I took the pics but it's now looking more lived in.

Thanks for all of your suggestions so far
post #13 of 17 Old 07-10-2012, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Wow that thing is an eyesore in that room! If I were you, I would get something that matches the finish of your electronics cabinet. What is that, cherry wood? Rose wood? I believe the Seaton subs can come in wood finishes now. That will surpass the PC13 in terms of performance, I don't know about its voltage compatibility though. The Hsu subs have 240v compatibility and do come in rose wood finishes, and a dual drive ULS-15 or VTF15h ought to match or surpass what you have now in terms of performance. Its also worth checking out Funk Audio, they have some drop dead gorgeous subs that can come in lots of beautiful finishes, but I don't know if their amp is 240v compatible. Its worth shooting an email to Nathan an email to ask about that.
Ian J likes this.
post #14 of 17 Old 07-10-2012, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Shady. The Seaton Submersive in a wooden finish was my number one choice but I was wondering what else I might unearth.

I'd never heard of Funk until you posted the link and they are really beautiful looking subs with dual voltage but a bit pricey. I'll do a bit of research to see if I can find out if the performance matches the looks
post #15 of 17 Old 07-10-2012, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's about 18' by 13' and room acoustics are reasonable but I use the EQ in the Arcam AVR600 plus have the sub running through an Anti Mode. The speakers are all MK Sound inwalls. I am happy with the sound produced by the Ultra but after three or four years am bored looking at the huge tube and think it's time to try something else as long as the performance is at least equal to what i already have.

I have attached a couple of photos of the room just after the speakers were installed. It looks rather empty when I took the pics but it's now looking more lived in.
Thanks for all of your suggestions so far

Where is your main seating in the room? There us a null in the center of the room, so if your seating is about 9' back, you will be sitting in a bass null in the room.

I just want to make sure you address any issues with the room before you drop $2500+ on a new sub smile.gif
post #16 of 17 Old 07-10-2012, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Seating position is about 12' back against the opposite wall. I don't think that there is a null at the seating position as when I took the photo the EQ was being sorted by a Velodyne SMS-1 so we had a good look at the various issues but I have since sold the SMS-1 and replaced it with an Antimode
post #17 of 17 Old 07-10-2012, 11:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Thanks Shady. The Seaton Submersive in a wooden finish was my number one choice but I was wondering what else I might unearth.
I'd never heard of Funk until you posted the link and they are really beautiful looking subs with dual voltage but a bit pricey. I'll do a bit of research to see if I can find out if the performance matches the looks

We have several new products available(all dual voltage) that would fall within your price range, our 15.0, 15.3, 18.0C and 18.1 are available to order. We just do not have the product pages ready to go on the website(we are doing some reworking of the whole website to make the site work better and facilitate better updating, that is one reason it is taking longer than expected to get the new products up) Contact us if you would like more information on any of our new products.
Ian J and crackhead2k like this.

Nathan Funk
Funk Audio
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page