SVS owners - how hard do you push them? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-10-2012, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Everyone,

Sorry to post so many new threads as a noob - at least in post count.

I purchased dual SVS PB12-NSDs a couple of weeks ago and I'm officially in love. Here are some comments before I ask my question:
-These puppies can pump. I have a monster (5,000-12,000 cubic feet depending on how you measure the open space) room and they are doing a great job.
-The reviews don't lie - they are very flat in their output. This means they don't like to go too too far above reference levels - even at 40-80Hz (my crossover point) the limiter will come on a lot at +5-7 dbs
-I have one of them in a corner, equidistant from my other sub that doesn't have a corner to chill in
-During movies that frequently go to 10Hz (I LOVE that thread with the frequency charts - so awesome to have that information on hand) the limiter light is on quite a bit during action scenes. As it should be - there aren't many subs out there that can handle that, including these, as I knew at purchase. They handle it very, very well in terms of sound quality. As audioholics said... they "bow out gracefully"
-During dubstep music, which frequently hits the lower 20Hz and sometimes upper teens, the limiter light comes on when set at reference levels a fair amount

My question is this. If I listen to a fair amount of music and movies at reference levels, when the limiter light isn't coming on or just does from time to time, do I have anything to worry about in terms of the longevity of these? I've heard they're built like a rock, but I'd really like to get a solid 5-10 years out of them. Should I feel safe if I'm putting them at reference levels with music and movies 5-15 hours a week? Besides my ears... sigh. It's amazing how it doesn't feel too loud until I go to bed, lol.

Thanks for any input. I strongly recommend these bad boys regardless.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-10-2012, 11:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
You should be fine as long as the limiter isn't being pinged frequently. SVS has incorporated good protection from over-zealous owners.eek.gif

Just imagine the head room if you had quads!
post #3 of 8 Old 07-11-2012, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 435
As far as I know, those Sledge amps only protect against bottoming out. Running any sub up to its limits with regularity is guaranteed to shorten its lifespan and long-term reliability. It's a good thing you have that five year warranty, you may end up needing it.
post #4 of 8 Old 07-11-2012, 10:53 AM

Liked: 20
I would be more concerned with hearing damage if you are constantly listening at reference levels.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-11-2012, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt34 View Post

You should be fine as long as the limiter isn't being pinged frequently. SVS has incorporated good protection from over-zealous owners.eek.gif
Just imagine the head room if you had quads!

It's pinged very frequently in movies, but that's going to happen no matter what, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

As far as I know, those Sledge amps only protect against bottoming out. Running any sub up to its limits with regularity is guaranteed to shorten its lifespan and long-term reliability. It's a good thing you have that five year warranty, you may end up needing it.

Only against bottoming out? As in very low frequencies? I'm pretty sure it limits itself at higher frequencies too - that's why the response curve is so flat, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

I would be more concerned with hearing damage if you are constantly listening at reference levels.

You're right. I should be thinking of that as well.

I'm not sure I'm really confident one way or another. Maybe I should contact SVS directly?
post #6 of 8 Old 07-11-2012, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Lots of good discussion about limiters in this thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1417211/hey-ricci

Basically when you see the limiter lights coming on, the subwoofer is saying I can't reproduce this linearly. It is out of headroom and you are dynamically compressing at some frequency. Yes it can get louder at some of the frequencies that are easier for the sub to reproduce at the expense of compressing the ones it no longer can.

5,000-12,000 cubic feet is a very large space to get reference level bass, especially with two of svs's entry level small sealed 12's. Sorry to burst your bubble but it is physics. If the lights are regularly coming on I recommend lowering the main volume level or the subwoofer output if you want clean dynamics from the subwoofer.

If you are listening at those levels and experiencing fatigue when going to bed, I would listen at more comfortable levels that won't do any irreversible damage to your hearing.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-11-2012, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Kamp View Post

Lots of good discussion about limiters in this thread.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1417211/hey-ricci
Basically when you see the limiter lights coming on, the subwoofer is saying I can't reproduce this linearly. It is out of headroom and you are dynamically compressing at some frequency. Yes it can get louder at some of the frequencies that are easier for the sub to reproduce at the expense of compressing the ones it no longer can.
5,000-12,000 cubic feet is a very large space to get reference level bass, especially with two of svs's entry level small sealed 12's. Sorry to burst your bubble but it is physics. If the lights are regularly coming on I recommend lowering the main volume level or the subwoofer output if you want clean dynamics from the subwoofer.
If you are listening at those levels and experiencing fatigue when going to bed, I would listen at more comfortable levels that won't do any irreversible damage to your hearing.

Thanks for your response. The subs I have are ported, but your point remains.

To be clear - the light does NOT come on regularly with music or during movies other than when the frequencies drop to silly levels like in the low teens. Your point on hearing is very important, and has been noted.

My question remains - is there much concern regarding lifespan if the subs are on "loud" but not continually limited?
post #8 of 8 Old 07-11-2012, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenaciousMV View Post

Thanks for your response. The subs I have are ported, but your point remains.
To be clear - the light does NOT come on regularly with music or during movies other than when the frequencies drop to silly levels like in the low teens. Your point on hearing is very important, and has been noted.
My question remains - is there much concern regarding lifespan if the subs are on "loud" but not continually limited?

My bad I had the sb12's in my head for some reason. Quote from Ricci's review, "The response nose dives below 20Hz at what appears to be 48dB an octave indicating the typical bass reflex 4th order roll off below tune combined with a 4th order rumble filter." Content ~20hz is most likely hitting the limiter as can be seen in the SVS PB12-NSD: Long Term Output Compression graph. Pb12nsd's aren't designed for low teen playback as can be seen on the frequency response graph.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/subwoofers/pb12-nsd/pb12-nsd-measurements

SVS has a true 5 year unconditional warranty and has great customer service. Since they implement a good limiter I doubt you can damage the driver with content playback. If anything happened past 5 years they keep amps around to sell as replacements at reasonable prices. If you are just tickling the clip lights I wouldn't worry about it much. Yes running something harder is harder on it. Its like idling around in a car vs more aggressive acceleration redlining from time to time. Doesn't necessarily mean if you baby it nothing will happen, or if you regularly clip it is destined to fail. 400 watts is easier on the amp than 800watts. Doubling of power is 3 db difference.

Hope that makes sense.

Luke
TenaciousMV likes this.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page