ED A3-300 dead amp - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-11-2012, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Had this sub Aug 2009 but amp only last for 2 yrs. Send amp for repair then dead after 6 mos. and they offered me a new amp LT 300 because they can't repair it anymore. Any other amps you can suggest that would last. I had an old Jamo 400E that until now still rolling for 16 yrs. Bad USA now relying on china made electronic components. Never ED sub anymore.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-11-2012, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
For a new plate amplifier, you could try Parts Express (which has at least twelve) and OAudio. The sites give the size measurements so you can determine which amplifier would fit best. I used a Parts Express 500w BASH amp as a replacement on one of my subwoofers that failed at the nine year mark. I had two subwoofer amps fail at the 1-year mark and another at the three year mark that I never fixed.

It is worthwhile to get a replacement amp for the ED A3-300.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-11-2012, 07:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Five year warranty, no?

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #4 of 8 Old 07-12-2012, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

Five year warranty, no?

Didn't eD retroactively change their warranty to 1 year because of all the problems they're having? I seem to recall reading something like that in the eD Owners Thread.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #5 of 8 Old 07-12-2012, 09:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Didn't eD retroactively change their warranty to 1 year because of all the problems they're having? I seem to recall reading something like that in the eD Owners Thread.
Their warranty states,
Quote:
Elemental Designs warrants this product to be free from defects in original materials and workmanship, under intended use, for a period of sixty (60) months, from the date of original purchase. Using this equipment for any purpose in any environment it was not designed for voids warranty (ripped spiders, burned voice coils, melted/torn joints, ripped surround, cracked cone, and ripped or cut tinsels are clear signs of this), this includes input of power not recommended for usage. Taking the speaker or electronics apart in any way shape or form is will result in a automatic loss of warranty. If warranty work is needed, because of sub par construction or materials, during the warranty period, Elemental Designs under it's determination and discretion, replace or repair the defective merchandise at zero charge (customer will be expected to cover shipping cost back to Elemental Designs.)
If they talked about a change in their forum, it was never reflected on the website. Now if you buy an amp from them, that's a one year warranty but a finished product reads to me as being five. I'd press them on this and if they waffled I'd then contact the Iowa AG's office and let them know. Seems like fraud to me.
You can't retroactively change a warranty. You can make changes for current and future purchases and that's it.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #6 of 8 Old 07-13-2012, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:

If they talked about a change in their forum, it was never reflected on the website. Now if you buy an amp from them, that's a one year warranty but a finished product reads to me as being five.

Looks like 5 to me as well. If I get the chance I'll go through the eD thread and see if I can find the references to that issue. I skim through those posts from time-to-time to see if eD has either gone out of business or righted the ship. I have zero skin in that game, so I can't say why I keep checking in on them, but for some inexplicable reason I find myself drawn to the outcome.

I recalling reading at some point that people were getting hosed on warranty claims, and it was being attributed to a retroactive downgrade. I feel sorry for those folks; a lot of them are having a real rough time.

Quote:

I'd press them on this and if they waffled I'd then contact the Iowa AG's office and let them know. Seems like fraud to me. You can't retroactively change a warranty. You can make changes for current and future purchases and that's it.

Totally agree; the only way to change the warranty is if the company goes under. Beyond that, any surreptitious modifications are completely illegal.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #7 of 8 Old 07-13-2012, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I am pretty sure eD's warranty has always been 1 year on their amp and 5 years on their driver. That said, good getting them to back their warranty without jumping through hoops.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-13-2012, 09:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

I am pretty sure eD's warranty has always been 1 year on their amp and 5 years on their driver. That said, good getting them to back their warranty without jumping through hoops.
Sure, if you buy them separately. Go to their main page and then click on the help link on the left hand side.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page