Dual Sub Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-11-2012, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I currently have a velodyne optimum 12. I would like to add a second subwoofer but don't want to purchase another optimum 12. I would rather go with an ID brand and save some money. I don't need the DSP and the built in EQ features of the optimum 12.

I know I should definately get another sealed subwoofer. I will be using the SubEQ HT on my Denon 4311 to integrate the new sub into my system.

I was thinking of the SVS SB12. Anu other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-11-2012, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Budget (range or max)?
Room size?
Size / appearance limitations (if any)?

The SB12-NSD is a very well-rated smaller sub. In that price range, the Epik Legend and SSA Rumba 12 might be worth a look.

Not sure how they'd pair up with the Velodyne, though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-11-2012, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

Budget (range or max)?
Room size?
Size / appearance limitations (if any)?
The SB12-NSD is a very well-rated smaller sub. In that price range, the SSA Rumba 12 might be worth a look, as would the Epik Legend.

Budget is $800 to $900. I don't really care about the size. I just want it to be a good match with the 12 inch sealed velodyne sub I currently have. The room is a roughly 15X20 bonus room. It is not open to any other areas of the house. I listen to 50/50 music and movies.
post #4 of 7 Old 07-11-2012, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

After spending the morning doing some research, I think I have decided to go with a Rythmik F12. It seems like it would be a good match with my current sub and play lower than the SVS SB12. The Rythmik subs also appear to be highly regarded for music, which is important to me.

Any other suggestions before I pull the trigger?
post #5 of 7 Old 07-11-2012, 03:03 PM

Liked: 17
If you can get anywhere near 50% of what the original price of that Velodyne sub is, my advice would be to sell it and go for either dual Rythmik F12s, SVS SB12s, or Epik Empires. They're all great contenders. I personally wouldn't recommend mixing different models of different brands together. Not saying it can't work, but it's not optimal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-12-2012, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopaddiction View Post

If you can get anywhere near 50% of what the original price of that Velodyne sub is, my advice would be to sell it and go for either dual Rythmik F12s, SVS SB12s, or Epik Empires. They're all great contenders. I personally wouldn't recommend mixing different models of different brands together. Not saying it can't work, but it's not optimal.

I don't want to sell the optimum 12. It has been great. I just wanted to add another sub to try to smooth out the response in my room but not pay $1500 for it. I thought this would be possible by going with a similar spec'd ID sub since I'm not using the DSP or built in EQ functionality of the optimum.

From what I've read, my impression is that with XT32 as long as the subs are the same type(both sealed or both ported) and similar in spec, that using 2 different subs wouldn't be any problem. Maybe I'm wrong?

Maybe I should just start looking at Ebay and Audiogon for a used optimum 12?
post #7 of 7 Old 07-12-2012, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopaddiction View Post

I just purchased a floor demo optimum 12 at HiDef Lifestyle for only $50 more than the Rythmik F12 would have cost with shipping. Thanks for the input.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page