Leap of faith on XV15 and XS-15! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-12-2012, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Just want to try out a different sub for a spare room..found this for about $760 delivered. How does it compare with other subs at this price range? Room is 14 x 9 x 12 (sealed). The XS sealed version15 is 50 bucks cheaper so which would perform better in that room 50/50 for HT and music. From the specs on the site which other subs does this compare to?
http://www.powersoundaudio.com/collections/power-x/products/xv15

matrixj
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2012, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 585
With room gain, the subs appear to have very similar in-room FRs. Given that, and the size of your room, I'd go with the XS15 and pocket the $50 difference.

I hope you're bold enough to take the plunge and buy a PSA sub. I'd love to know how they perform.

Happy shopping! smile.gif
Old 07-12-2012, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Yea, i want to try out other brands like ED, & Epik...but they make it so hard to buy their prouducts with simple issues as answering the phone and amp issues. I have a Hsu and also tried SVS with ZERO problems...never had to call them for anything...and yes i did "test calls" before i bought to see how hard it would be to get a hold of a person for help....BUT you always wonder what other subs sound like. Just wish other companies had the same great customer service as HSU and SVS. So far Tom at Power Sound has helped me and replied to all my emails....i like to think subs are like guitars and drums...every brand has a different take on what a sub should sound like and i would LOVE to own as many different subs that i can afford! Btw..thanks for the advice!

matrixj
Old 07-12-2012, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Between them Tom Vodhanel and Jim Farina know how to build subwoofers (and companies), from the ground up. Those guys have no intention of releasing products that are not highly competitive.

The pre-order discount (5%) is another incentive to try one of their products. When you get your 15 incher (whether sealed or ported), please let us know how you like it. smile.gif
Old 07-12-2012, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

With room gain, the subs appear to have very similar in-room FRs. Given that, and the size of your room, I'd go with the XS15 and pocket the $50 difference.
For roughly the same money ($769, shipped), the SVS PB12-NSD would probably give either sub a good run.

Just guessing based on specs, but I don't believe the PB12 would give these subs a good run at all. This is a 15" with 2" excursion with a more powerful amp. I'm guessing its tuned higher but will have way more output. I think this thing will own the PB12 above its tuning point. I think it might even have an edge against the top Outlaw and Hsu 12" subs, but all this is speculation until some third party measurements come in.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

You may very well be right. I just happen to have a bit of a soft spot for the PB12-NSD... smile.gif

That being said, I have withdrawn my suggestion from post #2.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

That's what i was thinking..more in the league of Empire, Vtf 15, or maybe the 15 Rythmik? Seems like great bang for your buck subs....the X-30 is just plain SiCk!

matrixj
Old 07-12-2012, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixj3 View Post

How does it compare with other subs at this price range?

No one can do anything but speculate at this point, since they won't be released until the end of this month. PSA has certainly generated a great deal of buzz, given the pedigree of the owners, but there's only conjecture to go by right now. I'm sure that will change soon though.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
Old 07-12-2012, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
The XS15 looks like a tremendous value. It's only $200 more then what it costs me to build one of my DIY subs, which matches their output claims. That also makes their claims of performance for a 500 watt sealed 15" appear to be completely legitimate, with no marketing bs.

I do however question how a 500 watt ported 15" can get away with using a single 4" port? That port size is suitable for a 250 watt 12" sub... There are tricks to minimize port air speed, like placing a high pass filter above the tuning point, but it would be nice to know.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Man, I am really liking the XV-15.. I was going to get a second HSU-15H (which I am very happy with), but I am tempted to pickup the XV-15 for the price you cannot beat it... Will wait for some reviews, but this looks interesting..
Old 07-13-2012, 09:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

The XS15 looks like a tremendous value. It's only $200 more then what it costs me to build one of my DIY subs, which matches their output claims. That also makes their claims of performance for a 500 watt sealed 15" appear to be completely legitimate, with no marketing bs.
I do however question how a 500 watt ported 15" can get away with using a single 4" port? That port size is suitable for a 250 watt 12" sub... There are tricks to minimize port air speed, like placing a high pass filter above the tuning point, but it would be nice to know.

Also, I think that I read that they are getting their drivers from Fi, who has an excellent reputation for high quality subs in the car audio world.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Old 07-13-2012, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Man, I am really liking the XV-15.. I was going to get a second HSU-15H (which I am very happy with), but I am tempted to pickup the XV-15 for the price you cannot beat it... Will wait for some reviews, but this looks interesting..

The only thing about waiting for reviews is that you might very well miss-out on the pre-order discount...
Old 07-13-2012, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

You might just want to get another VTF15h. I think the XV15 will be tuned somewhat higher. It's not ideal to mix subs with different tuning points unless you have a way of EQing them separately, like Audyssey sub EQ.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

You might just want to get another VTF15h. I think the XV15 will be tuned somewhat higher. It's not ideal to mix subs with different tuning points unless you have a way of EQing them separately, like Audyssey sub EQ.

Does that mean it may have a little more mid-bass slam since it is tuned higher? Just wondering how the tuning effects the sound.

matrixj
Old 07-13-2012, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixj3 View Post

Does that mean it may have a little more mid-bass slam since it is tuned higher? Just wondering how the tuning effects the sound.

It might not necessarily mean the XV15 will have more mid bass slam, that will depend on the output at certain frequencies (mid bass slam is thought to be like around 60 hz). The tuning effects will merely mean the below the tuning point the sub's output rapidly drops off, at least for ported subs. This is called the roll-off. For other types of subwoofer designs, the roll-off is much more gradual, although that usually comes at the cost of efficiency.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 1257
Hi all,

Tuning point on the XV15 is in the low 20s. I'm not sure if anyone noticed but we do have the CEA numbers on the site. The XV15 averaged 116.5 (2m) in what CEA calls "low bass"....that is 40-63hz. So it does have "slam" factor. We know everyone is waiting for reviews and we have several lined up. One of the first Power Sound Audio products out the door will be headed to Josh Ricci. I'm confident his CEA output stuff will closely correlate with our own.

Tom Vodhanel
Power Sound Audio
Old 07-13-2012, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi, Tom. I'm very curious to know: What prompted you to go with that whole "downfiring onto a bottom plate" design with the sub? I have no doubt that it's effective - even if it's no more or no less effective than any other design - but it almost seems like an unnecessarily "retro" look. IMO only, and YMMV, of course. But I am curious to know why that particular design vs. a clean & simple front-firing or down-firing (w/o the plate) or other design. I hope you don't mind the question, and hope you'll offer some insight too.

Thanks! smile.gif
Old 07-13-2012, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post

Hi all,
Tuning point on the XV15 is in the low 20s. I'm not sure if anyone noticed but we do have the CEA numbers on the site. The XV15 averaged 116.5 (2m) in what CEA calls "low bass"....that is 40-63hz. So it does have "slam" factor. We know everyone is waiting for reviews and we have several lined up. One of the first Power Sound Audio products out the door will be headed to Josh Ricci. I'm confident his CEA output stuff will closely correlate with our own.
Tom Vodhanel
Power Sound Audio

Thanks for postng that Tom. Those numbers are not far off from the Hsu VTF-15H which costs considerably more. I am definitely intrigued to see how it stacks up via Josh Ricci. Kudos to sending him a sub for testing, he is an asset to the community and it will really help folks know how your products compare.

Good luck on your new adventure (although it may not seem new since this has most likely been years in the making)!
Old 07-13-2012, 11:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

Hi, Tom. I'm very curious to know: What prompted you to go with that whole "downfiring onto a bottom plate" design with the sub? I have no doubt that it's effective - even if it's no more or no less effective than any other design - but it almost seems like an unnecessarily "retro" look. IMO only, and YMMV, of course. But I am curious to know why that particular design vs. a clean & simple front-firing or down-firing (w/o the plate) or other design. I hope you don't mind the question, and hope you'll offer some insight too.
Thanks! smile.gif

I like the "retro" look. Different that what others are offering, ditinguishing the brand from others.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:41 AM - Thread Starter

Well after mucho thought i am going with the XV-15 instead of the sealed as i will move my HSU into my second theater and have the new sub in my main theater which is a little bit larger. Can't wait to feel Selene's BERETTA 92FSs give me a full body massage!!! Man, if the 12 inch driver in the HSU with a 250 watt amp can pulsate like that i wonder how the XV-15 with the 15 inch driver and 500 watt amp will FEEL and sound like! i can't wait!: eek.gif

Btw...anyone know what frequency those guns pulse at?

matrixj
Old 07-15-2012, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Eljay,

Well, it will always be "in the eye of the beholder" to some degree when it comes down to aesthetics. Jim and I wanted to avoid several things---one being simply putting out another made in asia rectangle. There's plenty of those now(some darn fine values too). At some point I'm sure we'll have a more budget conscience model line and there may simply be no way around outsourcing that one. But we're happy that almost everything about the POWER-X line is sourced in the USA and assembled in Ohio. Also, the satin like "sand" finish is really nice. I don't think our pictures do it proper justice. Add in its near indestructibility and I think most Power Sound Audio customers will be content with the overall build quality/styling. You just can't please everyone with each design though and we surely don't take comments like yours personally(if anything it generates some good back and forth in our design meetings). There are plenty of really good value/style options available now though. Like I read someone posting here recently----pretty good time to be subwoofer shopping..smile.gif

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Old 07-15-2012, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

>>>Good luck on your new adventure (although it may not seem new since this has most likely been years in the making)!<<<<br />

It has been a long time coming to be sure. Thanks for the well wishes!

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Old 07-16-2012, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi, Tom. Thanks very much for taking the time to reply. I do realize that taste is very subjective, and just because the aesthetics of the new subs are not my cup of tea doesn't mean that other people won't love 'em. smile.gif I sincerely wish you and your new company much success! biggrin.gif
Old 07-16-2012, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Audioholics "preview" of the X30 and Power Sound Audio is up!
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/subwoofers/power-sound-audio-xv30-pre biggrin.gif

matrixj
Old 07-16-2012, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 118
5 yrs warranty is also very very good for Power Sound Subs. Would like to know how the XV15 stacked up against HSU VTF15H.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:49 PM

Liked: 12
Just when I thought I had narrowed down my search to only two subs y'all had to go and add a third.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 118
That is the fun of sub shopping! What are the other two?
Old 07-17-2012, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Can't wait to read your impressions once it's received. The XV30 certainly has my curiosity!
Old 07-17-2012, 08:22 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post

That is the fun of sub shopping! What are the other two?

The HSU VTF2-MK4 and the SVS PB12-NSD. $700 is the very top endbof my budget and those two seemed to be the best for me.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:10 AM
TL5
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Any way to bypass the crossover on these subs? I don't see a switch...