Car Subs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-12-2012, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know they aren't discussed much here, but I'm interested in upgrading my Yukon's sound system, starting with a new sub (or two).

The question is, does anybody know any reliable subs under $200, or $100? I've been looking at some of Pioneer's and Kicker's models.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-12-2012, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jam View Post

I know they aren't discussed much here, but I'm interested in upgrading my Yukon's sound system, starting with a new sub (or two).
The question is, does anybody know any reliable subs under $200, or $100? I've been looking at some of Pioneer's and Kicker's models.

What do you mean by reliable? You fear failure of the sub? Do you need a powered sub or you have a separate amp suitable to power a sub or two? Do you want a stand alone type unit or just the driver(s) to mount in the vehicle? Ported? Sealed?

I have an inexpensive 10" Kicker driver in a prefab ported box in my van powered by a dedicated amp (don't remember it's brand or rating off the top of my head, tho) and it suits my purposes. If you put your own together with some shopping you can probably do it for $250 or so. My brother put a powered Bazooka sub in his wife's car and I was pretty impressed with the sound and ease of install, too.

post #3 of 11 Old 07-12-2012, 07:06 PM

Liked: 13
I've always been a fan of ininity kappa perfects...however, they aren't produced any more, so you'd have to look for used on ebay.

post #4 of 11 Old 07-12-2012, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=SDX10
http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=TRIO12

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-466
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=293-650

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_43820_Massive-Audio-Toro-122.html
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_45430_Morel-Primo-124.html

Just about any sub can be reliable, it depends on how you use it. Like trying to use a SQ subwoofer like the Morel Primo as a competition SPL subwoofer. Or using a larger than recommended box, ect...

Kicker isn't that great IMO, the round subs are ok but the squares I would stay away from. The lower end Pioneer stuff isn't any thing special for the price the SDX 10, Trio 12, or the others listed will blow them away. If you stretch your budget about $50 you might be able to pick up a Boston Acoustics G5 or Polk Audio SR subwoofer.

This forum is a really good place for car audio, very knowledgable people there. http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/
post #5 of 11 Old 07-12-2012, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks a ton guys for the info, and for the link in the last post.

Just to clarify, I'm not really sure as to what I want in terms of ported vs sealed, standalone vs mounted. I don't really have much preference of powered vs passive, but I understand powered will be easier.

Is the difference between ported and sealed like it is in HT subs (to the same degree?), or not? I'm going to have a lot of space in my trunk, seeing as the car probably has the largest amount of space aside from maybe an Excursion.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-13-2012, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Ported enclosures tend to provide a more 'boomy' sound while closed/non-ported enclosures tend to sound a bit tighter. In my Camry I have a 12" dual voice coil Alpine Type-R sub in an enclosed box and it sounds fantastic (paired with 6 1/2" component Type R speakers in the front, an Alpine head unit running Audyssey MultiEQ, all powered by two amps). The Audyssey unit provides a world of difference!
post #7 of 11 Old 07-13-2012, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks a ton guys for the info, and for the link in the last post.
Just to clarify, I'm not really sure as to what I want in terms of ported vs sealed, standalone vs mounted. I don't really have much preference of powered vs passive, but I understand powered will be easier.
Is the difference between ported and sealed like it is in HT subs (to the same degree?), or not? I'm going to have a lot of space in my trunk, seeing as the car probably has the largest amount of space aside from maybe an Excursion.

Your Yukon has a trunk?

post #8 of 11 Old 07-14-2012, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

It's this: 399
post #9 of 11 Old 07-14-2012, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's this: 399

Great pic....my brother has a white XL....but it ain't got no trunk. smile.gif

post #10 of 11 Old 07-14-2012, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Haha not mine, but the same exact thing. How doesn't he have any cargo space? I just mean the back when I say trunk.
post #11 of 11 Old 07-14-2012, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Haha not mine, but the same exact thing. How doesn't he have any cargo space? I just mean the back when I say trunk.
You know not even sure if he's bothered with anything but the stock sound system but there's no trunk in most SUVs; the trunk cavity can be part of the bass system which is why it's significant.

ps Now when it comes to entire volume interior my van is waay bigger (long wheelbase 15 psgr).

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page