quick question about Rms /peak - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-12-2012, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Im considering 2 subs actualy..

But there is something i dont understand..

The first is paradigm monitor sub 12 300 rms - 900 peak...

The svs sb12 nsd is 400 rms - 800 peak ...

How a higher Rms sub can have a lower peak watts !???

Does the 400 rms is automaticly better ( stronger ) than the 300 one ???

How to chose. !?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-12-2012, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 787
Who knows if they're even measured the same way (or even at the same impedance)? Are the amps of the same type? What's the efficiency of the driver involved (to determine the power needs involved)? It's not just about the biggest number, but advertising is easier that way, especially to guys. Do some searching here on the forum as to what criteria is important...

post #3 of 8 Old 07-12-2012, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 335
There is no standard of measurement for peak power since it is based on how much an amp can deliver over short bursts of time. What you should be concerned with is the RMS rating which is more accurate and meaningful, since it's the amount of power that can be delivered continuously. As long as that number provides enough power to exceed your needs, then the peak power rating is meaningless. Also, other factors like enclosure design and speaker sensitivity also weigh in when it comes to how much output a subwoofer can provide.
Quote:
It doesn't matter if a subwoofer manufacturer boasts that it's sub uses a 1000 watts if another sub can achieve the same result with 100 watts.--- Tom Nousaine.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #4 of 8 Old 07-12-2012, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

I freakibg hate the fact i cant listen to the svs sb12 before buying it...

I want to feel explosion in my chest... not necessary hearing it . That is what the monitor12 was giving to me at the local shop...
post #5 of 8 Old 07-12-2012, 09:57 PM

Liked: 11
If that is what you want then people may be able to offer some other suggestions. The SB12 may not be what you want, you might want to look at the PB12, it's more expensive but again from what i have heard the paradigm wont even compare to this. There may be some other options. One thing to think about is this - Paradigm make great stuff but they have many levels of quality, you are at the lower end of that quality. They also sell it through stores adding links in the chain to get that sub to you. Each person wants to make money as no one will work for free so you tend to pay more than with an internet direct company where they make the profit they want or they get the sub at the price point they want and it tends to be much more sub for your money as there is less links in the chain.

I'm not knocking the monitor 12, as i said i really like paradigm but i think SVS or someone else will give you more bang for your buck, plus unlike in Aus where i am you have the bill of rights with SVS. One last thing, if you want the type of bass that you will feel in your chest the monitor 12 isn't like to give you this as it is also sealed like the SB12 and that is why is suggested the ported pb12, it will offer that more.

I am no expert here, hell i don't even own a sub but i was going through the same process you are for the last 2 months until this week.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-13-2012, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter

thx for the input Ouiff.. strange ive been told sealed sub would have been more snappy and less boomy than ported one.!?.

The pb12 price is not a problem.. but the size of it is. Im not sure the monitor sub 12 cant deliver it tbh.. but i think it might not go as low as other sub maybe..

Anyway im shopping atm .. ill ask auround about brands and stuff.. i will also take a look at rytmik sub
post #7 of 8 Old 07-13-2012, 02:37 AM

Liked: 11
you are right in what are saying as a general rule,the sealed boxes may be less boomy, although from what i can gather this is very much sub dependant.

Someone please corrent me if I am wrong as I am new to the world of subs but if you want the bass that you feel, this is done through lower frequencies and hence a ported sub will generally be better for this. I would rather tighter more controlled base than lower frequency and this is why I went a sealed sub. I could have gone the PB12 and it would have benn $500 cheaper but living in an apartment and also more of a preference for clean bass i went the sealed.

Please someone correct me if i am wrong.

I guess you need to decide what you prefer and want from the sub and the more you want the more you need to spend but you can certainly get something very good in the price range you are looking at, you may just not be able to get it all.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-13-2012, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemoreborn View Post

thx for the input Ouiff.. strange ive been told sealed sub would have been more snappy and less boomy than ported one.!?.
The pb12 price is not a problem.. but the size of it is. Im not sure the monitor sub 12 cant deliver it tbh.. but i think it might not go as low as other sub maybe..
Anyway im shopping atm .. ill ask auround about brands and stuff.. i will also take a look at rytmik sub

Generalizations about tech aren't really what to base your shopping on. Ported and sealed more depend on the design and build than whether they are ported or sealed. What are you going to use the sub for? Music? Movies? Mix of the two? How big a room do you have? If you want to see some data about some of the subs (they haven't tested all of them) try www.data-bass.com. Check out some of the comparison threads here and some of the get togethers (gtg) here in the subwoofer forum. Lots of good info here but you'll need to spend some time reading up. FWIW I bought an Epik Empire sub without having auditioned it; hard to audition a sub anyways as until you get it in your room any audition is only of limited use. Get a quality sub and you're most of the way home. SVS, Rhythmik, Hsu Research, Epik, Seaton, JTR, are some of the internet direct companies putting out good value products. IMHO brick & mortar distributed brands can be good quality but you'll pay for the convenience of in-store auditioning.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page